And it came to pass that Ishmael died, and was buried in the place which was called Nahom

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

And it came to pass that Ishmael died, and was buried in the place which was called Nahom

Post by drumdude »

And they found the tombstone! This is amazing news, I think Kyler could get at least 10 orders of magnitude out of this bullseye.

A funerary stela with the name y s1mʿʾl — the South Arabian equivalent of Ishmael — was found near the Nihm region and dated to ca. 6th century bc.

When making arrangements for Ishmael’s burial, it is plausible that Lehi’s family hired a local stone carver (perhaps from the Nihm tribe) to make the stela and inscribe it with Ishmael’s name in South Arabian Writing.

It is not unreasonable to suppose that while traveling through Arabia, likely along the major caravan route, Lehi and his family may have adopted burial practices common to local populations or fellow caravan travelers.
https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... otnote5anc
Screenshot 2021-10-15 194609.png
Screenshot 2021-10-15 194609.png (146.12 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
Lem
God

Re: And it came to pass that Ishmael died, and was buried in the place which was called Nahom

Post by Lem »

Rappleye is a master at obscuring the relevant details, as I recall from his exchanges with prof. Jenkins.

Anyway, from further on in his paper:
Connection to the Nihm?

Unfortunately, this funerary stela and the rest of this particular corpus were looted from their original context and recovered on the antiquities market, so they lack clear provenance.

The authenticity of these stelae is not doubted,14 but this means it is impossible to know exactly where they came from and if that location had any connection to the Nihm tribe.
Oh. Ok.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: And it came to pass that Ishmael died, and was buried in the place which was called Nahom

Post by Dr Exiled »

Nahom, a Book of Mormon name derived probably from the Biblical prophet Nahum. This seems like the most probable explanation given how the Book of Mormon is Bible fan fiction.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What’s insane to me is how their ‘research’ can be easily picked apart by competent people, but they drive on as if nothing were said on the matter at all. Nahom has been debunked so thoroughly that I thought they’d relegate that one to the dust bin, but nope. Here it is again. They think their pastiche of articles and ideas create a beautiful faithful mosaic, but in reality it looks more like a ransom note.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lem wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:56 am
Rappleye is a master at obscuring the relevant details, as I recall from his exchanges with prof. Jenkins.

Anyway, from further on in his paper:
Connection to the Nihm?

Unfortunately, this funerary stela and the rest of this particular corpus were looted from their original context and recovered on the antiquities market, so they lack clear provenance.

The authenticity of these stelae is not doubted,14 but this means it is impossible to know exactly where they came from and if that location had any connection to the Nihm tribe.
Oh. Ok.
Lol... I hafta say, almost seriously now, Mopologetic Interpreter, the gift that keeps on giving! It is irrelevant, obviously, that its a 1 in 563,578,345,980,225,256,876,987,347,119 chance (relax, I had this number peer reviewed by Kyler, it's a go, I didn't just pull it out of the air) that this will work in the Book of Mormon's favor, and yet... there is a chance, and so, we need to keep open minds about future possibilities, because they now have an erudite skolar there in Kyler who can mull it over and find a way that this evidence will give the Book of Mormon an order of magnitude increase of 20 or more toward its authenticity, so this atomic crumb is indeed, quite relevant to the spiritual adventure of gaining a testimony... very soon now, Alma will almost be found again, and that too shall increase the authenticity of the Book of Mormon... almost... but that is all that is needed in Mormonland. It was almost a touchdown! Man we got close! They tend to forget it takes a touchdown to change the score, but no one tell them. Lets see how long it takes them to realize that just getting to the 50 yard line doesn't do anything in the final say so...
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I went back and checked... Rappleye wrote this schpiel more than a year after Jenkins wrote "The Nahom Follies," and Rappleye didn't address Jenkins substance at all in any manner. And Rappleye knew of Jenkins through the debate with Bill Hamblin, as he tried to help Bill out while Peterson kept himself hidden for fear of exposure to being seen a desperate apologist as Hamblin and Rappleye were shown to be by Jenkins (come on, give Peterson some credit here, he actually was smart enough NOT to get involved and be shown to be utterly bankrupt).
Jenkins wrote in 2015, Rappleye's article was 2016. Amusingly, it is all smoke and mirrors. Nothing is certain, nothing can be nailed down, but this is evidence!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Sic et Non commenter wrote:My personal belief is that the continued faithfulness of the Latter-day Saints in affirming the message of the Book of Mormon to the modern world has resulted in the blessing of increasing evidence for the historical truth of the book. The successful trial of our faith has brought more witnesses that our faith is justified. There is obviously a direct causal connection, since people who do not believe in the reality of the world of Mormon, Moroni, and the golden plates would not invest time and effort in learning about the ancient worlds of Jerusalem, Arabia, and ancient American civilizations. But the fact that there are significant, physical facts that have been awaiting discovery for centuries and are now coming out is evidence, I believe, that God in his foresight has prepared these things so we could find them, just as he arranged for Nephi to create the small plates and for Mormon to add them to his history.
Dan has his fan boys believing no one else except Mormons know anything about ancient Jerusalem, Arabia, or America. Oh brother.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:28 am
What’s insane to me is how their ‘research’ can be easily picked apart by competent people, but they drive on as if nothing were said on the matter at all. Nahom has been debunked so thoroughly that I thought they’d relegate that one to the dust bin, but nope. Here it is again. They think their pastiche of articles and ideas create a beautiful faithful mosaic, but in reality it looks more like a ransom note.

- Doc
Here is one example of Nahom being systematically thrown in the scrapheap. https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... mon_nahom/
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

In response to this the apologists start rubbing feces all over themselves.
This part always catches me by surprise and makes me laugh out loud reading it.

If only apologists had someone trained in Arabic to avoid this embarrassment by an amateur. It’s a shame DCP was too busy with his blog to do any actual preemptive research on the Nhm hypothesis 🧐
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:03 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:28 am

- Doc
Here is one example of Nahom being systematically thrown in the scrapheap. https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... mon_nahom/
This is singularly the most massive wipe out, the nuclear clearing of Mormon apologetics on Nahom anywhere in print. THANKS for that link man!!!