Church Leader Becomes A Billionaire Through Intertwining of Business and Ecclesiastical Affairs

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Church Leader Becomes A Billionaire Through Intertwining of Business and Ecclesiastical Affairs

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Revelations that a Latter-day apostle stands to gain almost a billion dollars in wealth as a capstone of success to his long professional career shouldn’t shock followers of Mormon history, scholars say.

From the faith’s pioneer days forward, there has been a well-documented intertwining of business and ecclesiastical affairs in the lives of many leaders who reach the upper echelons of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including founder Joseph Smith and his successor Brigham Young.

Substantial numbers of those called as full-time church general authorities since 1830 have been prosperous businessmen, lawyers, entrepreneurs and those with managerial expertise.

This news about the enormous wealth of an individual LDS leader seems in line with the astronomical wealth of the church as an institution,” said Riess, author of “The Next Mormons: How Millennials Are Changing the LDS Church.”

“I doubt that most members will view it as a problem,” she wrote via email.

“Most did not criticize the church when it was revealed to be hoarding more than a hundred billion dollars in investments,” Riess said, “so I’m guessing they will take this news in stride or even view Elder Stevenson’s impending billionaire status as a sign of the Lord’s favor.”

Outsiders, though, “will view it as yet another example of churches and religious leaders that thrive,” she added, “while other people are struggling or even starving.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/latte ... ar-AAPD2UH
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Church Leader Becomes A Billionaire Through Intertwining of Business and Ecclesiastical Affairs

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 pm
Revelations that a Latter-day apostle stands to gain almost a billion dollars in wealth as a capstone of success to his long professional career shouldn’t shock followers of Mormon history, scholars say.

From the faith’s pioneer days forward, there has been a well-documented intertwining of business and ecclesiastical affairs in the lives of many leaders who reach the upper echelons of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including founder Joseph Smith and his successor Brigham Young.

Substantial numbers of those called as full-time church general authorities since 1830 have been prosperous businessmen, lawyers, entrepreneurs and those with managerial expertise.

This news about the enormous wealth of an individual LDS leader seems in line with the astronomical wealth of the church as an institution,” said Riess, author of “The Next Mormons: How Millennials Are Changing the LDS Church.”

“I doubt that most members will view it as a problem,” she wrote via email.

“Most did not criticize the church when it was revealed to be hoarding more than a hundred billion dollars in investments,” Riess said, “so I’m guessing they will take this news in stride or even view Elder Stevenson’s impending billionaire status as a sign of the Lord’s favor.”

Outsiders, though, “will view it as yet another example of churches and religious leaders that thrive,” she added, “while other people are struggling or even starving.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/latte ... ar-AAPD2UH
https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 4&t=154125
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Re: Church Leader Becomes A Billionaire Through Intertwining of Business and Ecclesiastical Affairs

Post by drumdude »

It seems to me the LDS church has been quietly leaning into the "prosperity gospel" that has worked so well for evangelicals.

Being disgustingly wealthy is simply an outward sign to everone of your righteousness. The more wealth LDS Inc. accumulates, the more they must be doing what God wants. That this happens to be indistinguishable from worshiping Mamon doesn't really occur to any chapel Mormons.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Thought: all these years, loyal members of the <insert correct name> have been paying a tenth of their pre-tax income into The Lord's pocket's.

Now those pockets seem to be overflowing: it must be getting uncomfortable for The Lord to walk around with that jingling noise whenever he takes a step. So here's an idea:

Why doesn't The Lord start paying a tenth of his pre-tax income to church members? What a huge boost to membership that would be!! I might even join myself.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.