New Video on the Joseph Smith Papyri and Eviscerating Kerry Muhlestein

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: New Video on the Joseph Smith Papyri and Eviscerating Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:32 pm
Suppose just for kicks that all of the Kirtland Papers and papyri were lost and there was no Facsimiles published in the original publication of the Book of Abraham -- ONLY CHAPTERS AND EXPLANATIONS of the lost vignettes in the original papyrus, whereas today, that would mean all we have is the chapters of the Book of Abraham and Explanations that Smith originally published. Imagine that. If that were the case, apologists today would be asserting that smith literally translated the papyrus (now lost) and that the Explanations that describes the missing vignette of Facsimile No. 3 were literal and correct translations and matched exactly even as Egyptologists today would translate if they had the original papyrus in which Smith translated.
Dr. Kerry Muhlestein wrote:Image

We don't have the original papyrus or vignettes and no copies were ever made so we can't tell what was on them except through Joseph Smith's inspired Explanations of those three missing vignettes. But Smith literally translated the Egyptian hieroglyphics from the vignettes and if we had them today we could prove it was a literal translation and the prophet could indeed read Egyptian as he claimed he could.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:06 pm
Bought Yahoo wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:55 pm
Great podcast. But I wanted to throw a rock in the pond behind you.

I think you wanted to do more than that.

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Come here little girl

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 pm
There is, and we shall have to figure it out, perhaps through zoom or something... I have contemplated this yet haven't talked to Shulem yet, though I think I can talk him into it.
Like you with a split-screen of Anubis and the voice of Shulem? Perhaps that degree of anonymity would overcome his hesitancy.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:26 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 pm
There is, and we shall have to figure it out, perhaps through zoom or something... I have contemplated this yet haven't talked to Shulem yet, though I think I can talk him into it.
Like you with a split-screen of Anubis and the voice of Shulem? Perhaps that degree of anonymity would overcome his hesitancy.
Oh hey! That's actually a really good suggestion! Thanks, I shall look into this!
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Nice video, Philo. Enjoyed it.

If the Church had any sense it would have abandoned the Book of Abraham as some semblance of historicity regarding Abraham and his story, years ago. It would have relegated it to modern riffing, of sorts, on ancient historical ideas, or some such thing.

But you're right. There is one passage that the Church has relied on so heavily, and the members have embraced so thoroughly, they can't drop it as scripture. And, at this point, to say it is myth, of sorts, playing off of Abraham can't be a good look to faithful members. It's a tough spot. And its hardly the only tough spot. I really can't see a good way forward for the Church. I'm sure it'll survive in the coming decades, but I don't know how that will be possible.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:21 pm
Nice video, Philo. Enjoyed it.

If the Church had any sense it would have abandoned the Book of Abraham as some semblance of historicity regarding Abraham and his story, years ago. It would have relegated it to modern riffing, of sorts, on ancient historical ideas, or some such thing.

But you're right. There is one passage that the Church has relied on so heavily, and the members have embraced so thoroughly, they can't drop it as scripture. And, at this point, to say it is myth, of sorts, playing off of Abraham can't be a good look to faithful members. It's a tough spot. And its hardly the only tough spot. I really can't see a good way forward for the Church. I'm sure it'll survive in the coming decades, but I don't know how that will be possible.
Thanks man, that means a lot. It is a tough spot on the premortal existence idea. Perhaps that is why they are just more or less sitting on it, not quoting it, or teaching much of what is in it, at least not from the upper echelons of those inhabiting the nose bleed sections of the hierarchy anyway. I think you're right, it's not like the church will implode over the Book of Abraham anytime soon. It is more a slow death as I see it.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Isn't Kerry great at picking scenic locations? Do wind filters exist to quiet those stray gusts from the Sonoran Desert (probably sent by a powerful Mormon Brujo to keep us from hearing clearly)?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:33 pm
Isn't Kerry great at picking scenic locations? Do wind filters exist to quiet those stray gusts from the Sonoran Desert (probably sent by a powerful Mormon Brujo to keep us from hearing clearly)?
Yeah, I am working on that part. I do have a cover, but it's mickey mouse silly so it doesn't work really well. I will get something rigged up so I can keep doing outside stuff as well. It really IS an enjoyable part of my work to get out there and videoing in the wild. I appreciate knowing it is appreciated...