New Video on the Joseph Smith Papyri and Eviscerating Kerry Muhlestein

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

New Video on the Joseph Smith Papyri and Eviscerating Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://youtu.be/Ggc7NqfcLp0

Kerry contributed a chapter in Laura Hales book "A Reason for Faith" (2016), and I was astonished upon reading it, so... well... here is the video showing the reasons I was astonished. Enjoy!
Shulem
God

Re: New Video on the Joseph Smith Papyri and Eviscerating Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Shulem »

That was another excellent video with lots of good stuff going on to inform listeners that the apologists are simply not playing fair. Apologists love to obfuscate on a particular point by smothering it with irrelevant side information or parallels that have nothing to do with the actual point they are attempting to highlight.

Philo, I was wondering if you have any thoughts on Smith mentioning that the lion bed in Facsimile No. 1 was made of iron. I touched upon that in these posts in threads up in the Celestial Forum:

Pearl of Great Price Central Facsimile 1 as a Sacrifice Scene
Jeff Lindsay praises John Gee's book “Introduction to the Book of Abraham” as a tool to save his testimony
Jeff Lindsay praises John Gee's book “Introduction to the Book of Abraham” as a tool to save his testimony

It's just as wrong to refer to the lion bed being made of IRON as it would be to say the cross of Christ was was also made of iron. Clearly, Smith messed up in telling the saints that Abraham was sacrificed on a bed made of iron. If Smith couldn't get the composition of the lion bed right it makes us wonder what else in the Facsimile he got wrong. How about a knife? That's wrong, it should have been a hand or a cup. Not a knife! And the white man's head atop the head of a black man in Facsimile No. 1. That has to be the most obvious blunder Smith ever made. Have the LDS Egyptologists bothered to comment on that? Nope.

Thoughts?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Is there any way Kerry and Shulem could make a video together, perhaps on some topic related to the Book of Abraham?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 am
Is there any way Kerry and Shulem could make a video together, perhaps on some topic related to the Book of Abraham?
There is, and we shall have to figure it out, perhaps through zoom or something... I have contemplated this yet haven't talked to Shulem yet, though I think I can talk him into it.
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Great podcast. But I wanted to throw a rock in the pond behind you.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:55 pm

I think you wanted to do more than that.

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Come here little girl

Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 am

I'm a behind the scenes type of guy. But I do have plans an urge to eventually become somewhat visible in the unforeseeable future. How, I don't know. You can bet, however, that anything I present will showcase Anubis's nose and a missing king's name. I am the apologist's worst nightmare! Radio Free Mormon and the Backyard Professor are like TV commercials for the main show. Look out for the Schlitz Shulem Malt Liquor Bull!

:lol:
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:06 pm
Bought Yahoo wrote:

I think you wanted to do more than that.

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Come here little girl

Hah hah. Excellent.

Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:THIS war is over. Joseph Smith lost. Mormon apologists are on the losing end of this, that has ben clearly established by . . . Joseph Smith did not get it right.

Philo,

Suppose just for kicks that all of the Kirtland Papers and papyri were lost and there was no Facsimiles published in the original publication of the Book of Abraham -- ONLY CHAPTERS AND EXPLANATIONS of the lost vignettes in the original papyrus, whereas today, that would mean all we have is the chapters of the Book of Abraham and Explanations that Smith originally published. Imagine that. If that were the case, apologists today would be asserting that smith literally translated the papyrus (now lost) and that the Explanations that describes the missing vignette of Facsimile No. 3 were literal and correct translations and matched exactly even as Egyptologists today would translate if they had the original papyrus in which Smith translated.

Imagine that.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Sometimes I throw rocks in a pond when I'm thinking about our friendship. It helps ease the loneliness. 😥