Church donates $2 million to Native American (Lamanite) museum

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Church donates $2 million to Native American (Lamanite) museum

Post by drumdude »

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... m-donation

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is donating US$2 million to the First Americans Museum in Oklahoma City to help Native American Indian tribes learn more about their ancestral roots.

President Nelson said the new FamilySearch center in Oklahoma “will make it possible for visitors to the museum to receive help in preserving personal histories, searching for ancestors and building their own family trees.”

I’m curious if they will use the word “Lamanite” anywhere in the new FamilySearch center. Or is that teaching of the church pretty much dead by now?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Church donates $2 million to Native American (Lamanite) museum

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

This is actually kind of cool. I especially like this bit from the article:
President Nelson said the new FamilySearch center in Oklahoma “will make it possible for visitors to the museum to receive help in preserving personal histories, searching for ancestors and building their own family trees.”
And then right before that quote:
The museum, which honors many Native American Indian Tribes, will use the gift to build a FamilySearch center and fill other needs. The center will include digital interactive exhibits for Native American families. Many will be able to learn more at FamilySearch.org. FamilySearch is the Church’s nonprofit genealogy arm.
An update to my 23andme genetic test revealed I have strong genetic connections to Scotland, specifically the Edinburgh area. Previously, with a not-as-accurate result from my test I had x-percentage connection to NW Europe and the UK. This of course piqued my interest in Scotland and as such I’ve been doing some light reading about “my” history. I hope the people that go through this center end up feeling more connected to their own histories, and of course a stronger sense of their own personal identity.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Church donates $2 million to Native American (Lamanite) museum

Post by Philo Sofee »

This is encouraging. I sure hope they can also pitch in a hand to help all those poor natives who were so devastated by Covid. The people need help, personally, not just buildings being built. While that is important, people ought to matter more.