Is it true Bill Reel backed out of the upcoming debate with Midnight Mormons?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Is it true Bill Reel backed out of the upcoming debate with Midnight Mormons?

Post by Kishkumen »

Bennett is. I probably don't agree with most of what he said in his reply to the CES Letter. But most of it didn't strike me as lacking in the most basic understanding of logical fallacy. He acknowledges that a lot of it comes down to believing things that are rationally implausible. The Unholy Trinity don't even know the difference between plausible and implausible. Kwaku is essentially willing to hand-wave away the Laws of the Universe with his personal theory that the implausible is more common and normal than the plausible. He said as much when he appeared on Mormonism Live.

Besides, Bennett, for whatever his lapses in apologetic reasoning, isn't a total dick.
You sum up the difference very well. Bennett is neither a cretin nor an idiot. The midnight crew is very close to being both.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Re: Is it true Bill Reel backed out of the upcoming debate with Midnight Mormons?

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:48 pm
I don’t think these clowns deserve your promotion.
They’re morons.
Worse, they’re bad people.
How about keep the venue but change who’s on the dais.
Yes, I don’t like to think the worst of people, but the midnight crew is not a carton of fresh eggs.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

So I thought Cardboard was now claiming his wife’s pregnancy was preventing him from participating. Is that not true after all?

;-)
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

Post by SaturdaysVoyeur »

consiglieri wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:05 am
Although they are now trying to force RFM to add people to his team with the implicit threat they will not debate otherwise.
And I call BS. They're the ones who reneged on the original agreements, so if it matters THAT much to them to have an equal number on both sides, then why don't THEY pick one of theirs to debate you one-on-one? If that's their objection, it's easy to solve.

They could even use it to their own advantage and claim later that your side could only scrounge up one person, so they were forced to pare down their team for the sake of fairness.

Honestly, the whole thing seems like a waste of time. You're way too far out of their weight class, and they lie. You could kick all three of their asses, and they'll still go on their podcast and claim they won anyway.

I think a debate like this could be really interesting, and I will/would probably watch it.

I just have to think that Team TBM can find a better opponent. My sister is a TBM and would make a much better opponent than those guys!
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Not to mention your sister’s dog.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

This is all classic Mopologetics. Maybe there are others here who remember 15 years ago when Bob McCue challenged DCP to a debate, and DCP chickened out. And what’s weird is that DCP will totally do debate under the right (rigged) circumstances. But all of this is a testament to the defensibility of Mormonism.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

consiglieri wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:55 am
Not to mention your sister’s dog.
My sister's dog is way too smart to be a TBM. I mean, when he digs things up out of the ground, they actually exist! ;)
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:42 am
consiglieri wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:05 am
Although they are now trying to force RFM to add people to his team with the implicit threat they will not debate otherwise.
And I call B.S.. They're the ones who reneged on the original agreements, so if it matters THAT much to them to have an equal number on both sides, then why don't THEY pick one of theirs to debate you one-on-one? If that's their objection, it's easy to solve.

They could even use it to their own advantage and claim later that your side could only scrounge up one person, so they were forced to pare down their team for the sake of fairness.

Honestly, the whole thing seems like a waste of time. You're way too far out of their weight class, and they lie. You could kick all three of their asses, and they'll still go on their podcast and claim they won anyway.

I think a debate like this could be really interesting, and I will/would probably watch it.

I just have to think that Team TBM can find a better opponent. My sister is a TBM and would make a much better opponent than those guys!
Having an equal number on both sides is the smartest and only fair way to go about this. RFM understands this and knows if he goes into a debate by himself against three opponents on one team he'll win the sympathy vote because it's going to look like three young guys picking on a senior citizen. He's thought this out exactly like any good lawyer should and the three young Mormons have fallen into his trap. They've already lost and they're probably starting to understand exactly this! Good for them if they want equal numbers. Maybe RFM should stop trying to lawyer a bunch of 20 year olds and man up and find two people who will join him to debate these 3 guys that all you athiest believe to be complete idiots.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I think it would be a much better debate if Quacko and Hardon bowed out, and it was just between RFM and the sensible Midnight Mormon (whose name escapes me)
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:15 am
Having an equal number on both sides is the smartest and only fair way to go about this.
Well, it's traditional in this type of debate to only have two opponents facing off at one time. But this isn't a formal competitive debate. The parties can agree to whatever they're willing to agree to.
Atlanticmike wrote:

RFM understands this and knows if he goes into a debate by himself against three opponents on one team he'll win the sympathy vote because it's going to look like three young guys picking on a senior citizen. He's thought this out exactly like any good lawyer should and the three young Mormons have fallen into his trap.
This isn't being televised for the general public. It's only going to be watched by a (relatively) small audience who already pretty much know which team they're on. There's no "sympathy vote" for RFM to win by playing some kind of manipulative 3-D chess to win over public opinion by playing himself off as an overpowered old man.

And it's not like RFM is a frail octogenarian. All four of them have rather brash personalities.
Atlanticmike wrote:

Maybe RFM should stop trying to lawyer a bunch of 20 year olds and man up and find two people who will join him to debate these 3 guys that all you athiest believe to be complete idiots.
We watched Kwaku go on RFM and Bill Reel's show and claim that the absurd and implausible is MORE common, and therefore easier to believe, than the predictable and the explainable. We don't "think" they're complete idiots; they ARE complete idiots.

Also, I'm not an atheist. I'm just not a Mormon anymore.