Satan, Mormonism, and the charismatic Protestant concept of "spiritual warfare"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Satan, Mormonism, and the charismatic Protestant concept of "spiritual warfare"

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

The fundamentalist prophecy tradition that spawned Seventh-day Adventism and Mormonism has been reimagined as Christian fiction, which believers see as being thematically true, even though they know it's fiction.

Today's Christian fundamentalists still think the world is ending, but instead of listening to self-proclaimed prophets like Joseph Smith or Ellen White, they read books like "This Present Darkness" or "Left Behind."

https://flux.community/matthew-sheffiel ... -story-and

Unfortunately, there are millions of people who believe that they do battle daily with Satan and his demons.
Last edited by Alphus and Omegus on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Satan, Mormonism, and the charismatic Protestant concept of "spiritual warfare"

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. The Matrix’s algorithms are weird today. I’m literally watch an Ancient Aliens episode about this very thing.

eta: This guy is featured on the episode:

https://www.theledger.com/article/LK/20 ... 1267264/LL
The main photo on Larson’s website shows him gripping a Bible under his right arm and holding a large, metal cross with his left hand. He said it’s customary to employ those symbols in combating demons.

“The demon can’t see what I believe; he can’t see what my faith is,” Larson said. “The cross is a visible, physical symbol of my faith in God, so when the demon sees that he’s reminded that he’s battling God.“
- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Re: Satan, Mormonism, and the charismatic Protestant concept of "spiritual warfare"

Post by drumdude »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm
Unfortunately, there are millions of people who believe that they do battle daily with Satan and his demons.
It was so sad seeing Mormon teens believe that their natural sexual instincts were direct attacks from Satan himself. The more fervently they believed this, the worse their social skills and mental health seemed to be. It was to the level of Obsessive Compulsion to avoid non-Mormons and sources of temptation.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:23 pm
Huh. The Matrix’s algorithms are weird today. I’m literally watch an Ancient Aliens episode about this very thing.

eta: This guy is featured on the episode:

https://www.theledger.com/article/LK/20 ... 1267264/LL
The main photo on Larson’s website shows him gripping a Bible under his right arm and holding a large, metal cross with his left hand. He said it’s customary to employ those symbols in combating demons.

“The demon can’t see what I believe; he can’t see what my faith is,” Larson said. “The cross is a visible, physical symbol of my faith in God, so when the demon sees that he’s reminded that he’s battling God.“
- Doc
I've heard of missionaries trying similar things when they couldn't get converts in an area. And of course, all the stories of meeting evil spirits or seeing Satan water skiing.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:48 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm
It was so sad seeing Mormon teens believe that their natural sexual instincts were direct attacks from Satan himself. The more fervently they believed this, the worse their social skills and mental health seemed to be. It was to the level of Obsessive Compulsion to avoid non-Mormons and sources of temptation.
Growing up Mormon and or since I have never encountered a real person believing such things.I do remember joking about it a few times. Thinking sexual urges are of demonic origin would very unhealthy I suspect.

I have never been sure about demonic influence manifesting in actual evil. I am unable to feel sure about dismissing the possibility. The world appears to have a surplus of actual evil (unrelated to teenagers feeling horny) I am not going to pay Mr Larson 9.95 for a demon test however. Sounds a bit like a joke to me.

I understand Catholic exorcists take referrals and work with careful medical screening as most referrals are actually for medical conditions to be treated by medical professionals

/////
"People of the Lie"
https://www.amazon.com/People-Lie-Hope- ... 0684848597

reviews are mixed, one says the book describes malignant narcissism ,better to call it a medical sounding name. ...I wonder if there is a better description of Satan than Malignant narcissism?

Maybe humans just find ways to imitate scratch..... so don't use lies to gain power over other people.
Last edited by huckelberry on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

"seeing scratch water skiing"

That sounds ridiculous, a joke... right?
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Getting up on the skis is hard at first, okay?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Yeah the really stupid thing is Satan loves to snow ski, not water ski. Idiots always get this wrong... :lol:
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:26 pm

It's a joke about D&C 61.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:26 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:26 pm

It's a joke about D&C 61.
So this is not a vision had while water skiing. An old movie Beelejuice intervenes for me and belezebub transforms to beetlejuice sailing across the water waving to the folks Perhaps in that lake up Provo canyon... waving his arms while friends cheer him on.