The 4 types of LDS Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: The 4 types of LDS Mormons

Post by dastardly stem »

I know a lot of Mormons, as I'm sure many of us do. I can't really see how to fit anyone I know into any of the categories. Everyone i know seems to overlap a few of the categories. But, I also have to say I don't think I know any that fit or overlap much into category three. I'm sure they're out there but I just haven't seem them, much...maybe some people have some tendencies that may sound a bit familiar in category 3, but they'd also do things like deny the global flood or other such things. I don't know, maybe I have the wrong impression of all the Mormon folks I interact with.

Also I'm terribly non-conformist when it comes to stuffing people into categories generally (people are complicated and don't fit well into categories)...So I'm likely being a bit obtuse about it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:15 pm
I know a lot of Mormons, as I'm sure many of us do. I can't really see how to fit anyone I know into any of the categories. Everyone i know seems to overlap a few of the categories. But, I also have to say I don't think I know any that fit or overlap much into category three. I'm sure they're out there but I just haven't seem them, much...maybe some people have some tendencies that may sound a bit familiar in category 3, but they'd also do things like deny the global flood or other such things. I don't know, maybe I have the wrong impression of all the Mormon folks I interact with.

Also I'm terribly non-conformist when it comes to stuffing people into categories generally (people are complicated and don't fit well into categories)...So I'm likely being a bit obtuse about it.
Well then, I would categorize you as an obtuse categorizer - :D
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:05 pm
dastardly stem wrote:

Well then, I would categorize you as an obtuse categorizer - :D
Lol. And yeah. that's me...Seeing this again makes me think why the hell am I responding if all i'm going to do is say what I did? Leave it be.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

dastardly stem wrote:

I find it a bit hard to believe you don't know any Orthodox Mormons. They are by far the most common. But feel free to come up with your own categories. That is part of the fun of such lists.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

As opposed to. . . the 4 types of LDS non-Mormons?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:58 am
Non-LDS Mormons.

The Brighamite branch isn’t all of Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:14 am
Why would you baptize someone without teaching them the lessons, not to mention not even letting them know it meant membership in the church??
To bolster the stats of the Mission President. He gets praised by HQ and in return he might advance the missionaries with high baptism numbers.

I think many Mormons fall into the Cafeteria category, since many pick and choose what to believe based on rationality or the inability to suspend disbelief. Some things make perfect sense, such as eschewing alcohol and tobacco, but turning your back on the single healthiest drink (green tea) for the sake of an outmoded 19th Century health notion lacks sense. I doubt even the apostles eat meat sparingly. They seem like steaks at the Mormon royal family BBQ kind of guys.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:21 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:58 am
Non-LDS Mormons.

The Brighamite branch isn’t all of Mormonism.
That's right. The Community of Christ Mormons are a wonderful and much more honest Mormon tradition. And there are many other ones.

The non-Brighamites are going to become a refuge for Modulated Mormons if they start facing LDS persecution.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:23 pm
... for the sake of an outmoded 19th Century health notion...
The Graham Cracker came about as Sylvester Graham's healthy contribution to the newly evolved Temperance Movement. Makes me wish one of the clever polygamy wives had invented the Ginger Snap. That would have made Joseph stand to attention and perhaps have left genetic traces of his polygamy escapades.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dastardly stem wrote:

Stem, your view here makes complete sense to me. There is a lot of variety in people and I might see a mixing spectrum of views between each of the categories presented here. Perhaps the four categories are poles, extremes, illustrating different tendencies people have.

Alphus and Omegus noted that various categories might be tried to see different things, ok. I remember people observing that there were two kinds of Mormons, iron rod and Liahona. Iron rod were strict by the rule folks. Liahona people looked to general principals taught by the church or God and used individual interpretation to apply. I do not know if those labels are still used by anybody but that discussion between Jacob Hansen and Jim Bennet is a perfect illustration of the two types.