New Project Shows Church Finance Corruption

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dwight
Deacon

Re: New Project Shows Church Finance Corruption

Post by Dwight »

I think it is interesting that the rainy day isn't here yet, but we will know it when it comes and it usually involves a case where stock or US dollars in a bank account are basically not going to be worth the paper they are printed on.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

If the church ran lean, with no savings, totally reliant on member donations and God’s providence, believers would praise the faith of the leaders.

The church is wealthy beyond imagination. Believers praise the prudence and inspiration of the leaders.

It doesn’t matter what the financial situation of the church is. Believers will find faith in it because they choose to trust the leaders more than they trust themselves.

If the church were to give all the money away, believers would praise the revelation.

If the church hoards cash for another 2 decades, believers will celebrate that too.

The leaders are inspired because the leaders do inspired things. So goes the logic.

It isn’t faith in God or Jesus. It’s faith in men and money.
Last edited by Dr Moore on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I am happy to be inspired not to give the LDS Church my money.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 pm
They've had to close the Temple cafeterias because of your inspiration.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:10 am
My testimony has just grown.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:10 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

This morning, I was reminded of a news story from early on in the pandemic. It was about two brothers who had hoarded a bunch of hand sanitizer.

If I am remembering the details correctly, the brothers had about 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer hoarded. They were eventually forced to donate them (I can’t recall if it was because of the backlash, or if it was because of the AG investigation/charges).

If only they had been hoarding billions of dollars instead.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:51 pm
This morning, I was reminded of a news story from early on in the pandemic. It was about two brothers who had hoarded a bunch of hand sanitizer.

If I am remembering the details correctly, the brothers had about 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer hoarded. They were eventually forced to donate them (I can’t recall if it was because of the backlash, or if it was because of the AG investigation/charges).

Now that’s an excellent parallel.
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

Post by SaturdaysVoyeur »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:51 pm

That story was grossly misreported. The Colvin brothers had been buying bulk items wholesale and reselling them for a markup on Amazon for years. One of the brothers is disabled and that was his source of income.

In the earliest days of the pandemic, before America was paying much attention yet, the Colvins did buy up 18,000 bottles of bulk sanitizer, but their resale prices were reported wildly inaccurately. The New York Times said they were reselling for $70 per bottle, when the $70 price was actually for a whole case of bottles.

By the time this detail got corrected in the press, it was too late. The incorrect version had spread like wildfire. The Colvin brothers got death threats and were banned from Amazon, costing the disabled brother his livelihood.

The attorney general charged them with price-gouging during an emergency, which makes it a crime to mark up essential goods by more than a certain percentage during an emergency. Except the Colvins' resale prices weren't unreasonable. Their actions only fit within the law because they had purchased the wholesale sanitizer so cheaply, taking a risk that they might be able to sell plenty of it.

When Wall Street takes gambles like that, we call it speculation and praise those who make good investments. When two shitkickers from Tennessee do it, we ruin their lives.

The Colvins did settle the case with an agreement to give away their entire stock for free.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:56 am
That story was grossly misreported.
Thank you for the additional information, and corrections (to both my memory, and the reporting that was partially responsible for my memory).