New Project Shows Church Finance Corruption

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: New Project Shows Church Finance Corruption

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Are you folks considering that there may be valid reasons for the church to have large amounts of financial resources on hand? That doesn’t seem to be on your radar of possibility.

Regards,
MG
They are saving for a pandemic but not this one because it was too much of a financial bonanza for them to resist investing more. No, the pandemic they are saving for will need $Trillions upon $Trillions. It'll take a lot of cash to be able to lend the kind of money to the desperate in that day.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:01 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Are you folks considering that there may be valid reasons for the church to have large amounts of financial resources on hand? That doesn’t seem to be on your radar of possibility.

Regards,
MG
They are saving for a pandemic but not this one because it was too much of a financial bonanza for them to resist investing more. No, the pandemic they are saving for will need $Trillions upon $Trillions. It'll take a lot of cash to be able to lend the kind of money to the desperate in that day.
I have considered it extensively, and spoken first hand with a number of the key decision makers. There is no plan. The reason is because the brethren, deep down, do not have the same faith that they ask members to have, when it comes to money and generosity.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:26 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:

I have considered it extensively, and spoken first hand with a number of the key decision makers. There is no plan. The reason is because the brethren, deep down, do not have the same faith that they ask members to have, when it comes to money and generosity.
Bingo. They hold on to the money while chastising the members for doing the same.

They fear the corporation becoming insolvent while telling the single mom to give her last penny and hope for the best.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Tator wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:51 pm

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

What's the possibility of that being on your radar?
I agree with the sentiment expressed in this scripture.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:
Dr Exiled wrote:

Given the astronomical amount of money involved, that is a scary and very sad thought.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:46 pm
Tator wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:51 pm

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

What's the possibility of that being on your radar?

Regards,
MG
How would you determine if the Mormon church was hoarding money for a legitimate purpose versus hoarding money for an illegitimate purpose?

Have you prayed upon this issue?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:37 pm
Dr Moore wrote:

Bingo. They hold on to the money while chastising the members for doing the same.

They fear the corporation becoming insolvent while telling the single mom to give her last penny and hope for the best.
Do you take what this person on the internet says at face value?

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:49 pm
Dr Moore wrote:

Given the astronomical amount of money involved, that is a scary and very sad thought.
Your fear may be misplaced.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Regards,
MG
How would you determine if the Mormon church was hoarding money for a legitimate purpose versus hoarding money for an illegitimate purpose?
I can’t convince you that they’re not. I can repost my post from back on page four or so. I think I’ve reposted it a few times now.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:02 pm

60% of church membership is outside of the United States. Hypothetically speaking, if one was to determine whether or not the majority of the church, which exists outside of the U.S., could maintain themselves financially over the long haul without significant financial reserves is literally the billion(s) dollar question.

Europe, including the UK is 3% of church membership. South and Central America are over 30%. So you would have an interesting mix of economic structures holding up the church. As it is, what happens within the 40% of the church that consists of members in the U.S. matters. The financial reserves then become of grater importance. At some point we may see those reserves becoming integral to the overall temporal health of the church.

We tend to focus on the 40% rather than the 60%. Personally, I’m comfortable with more financial reserves than less in an international church which sees the U.S. as less than half of its membership. And that trend is more than likely to continue.

Regards,
MG
drumdude wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 pm
Have you prayed upon this issue?
I have not. Have you?

But then again, I don’t see it as an issue as you do.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:02 pm
simon southerton wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:45 am
An excellent presentation, although I think their estimates of church wealth may be low.

According to this well researched website, the church has between USD300 and USD400 in commercial and agricultural real estate.
http://www.bidstrup.com/ldsfinances.htm
60% of church membership is outside of the United States. Hypothetically speaking, if one was to determine whether or not the majority of the church, which exists outside of the U.S., could maintain themselves financially over the long haul without significant financial reserves is literally the billion(s) dollar question.
No, that's not true, it is not a question at all. Even if the lds church took in 0% tithing from 100% of its membership, they would still have enough interest income to cover 100% of their operating costs AND have at least 10billion leftover interest to grow their investment hoard even larger. They could do this indefinitely.

We tend to focus on the 40% rather than the 60%. Personally, I’m comfortable with more financial reserves than less in an international church which sees the U.S. as less than half of its membership. And that trend is more than likely to continue.
that is irrelevant. See my comment above.