The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels

Post by sock puppet »

I came across this statement, and thought it rather insightful:

"People don't leave Christianity because they stop believing in the teachings of Jesus. People leave the Christian Church because they believe in the teachings of Jesus so much, they can't stomach being part of an institution that claims to be about that and clearly isn't." -Nadia Bolz-Weber
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
dastardly stem
God

Re: The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels

Post by dastardly stem »

Plenty of people leave Christianity when they realize they have no need for an eternal savior. They leave when they realize Jesus' teachings are kinda lame. But sure, some very few leave when they realize their religion doesn't live up to what it claims. That happens too.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

sock puppet wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:16 pm

"People don't leave Christianity because they stop believing in the teachings of Jesus. People leave the Christian Church because they believe in the teachings of Jesus so much, they can't stomach being part of an institution that claims to be about that and clearly isn't." -Nadia Bolz-Weber
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 pm
Plenty of people leave Christianity when they realize they have no need for an eternal savior. They leave when they realize Jesus' teachings are kinda lame. But sure, some very few leave when they realize their religion doesn't live up to what it claims. That happens too.
There are cases where people leave when they have determined that they are not able to live up to what their religion requires. Living the gospel and especially the fullness of the restored gospel is not for the faint of heart. I think it is easy to find fault with an institution that requires sacrifice and obedience. The natural man will, by necessity, find ways/means to escape from the personal discipline which goes along with being a disciple of Christ.

It’s a lot easier to make up and create your own ‘comfort zone’ of personal behavior and ethics.

Regards,
MG
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:54 pm
There are cases where people leave when they have determined that they are not able to live up to what their religion requires.
...because the requirements are pointless or foolish.

Living the gospel and especially the fullness of the restored gospel is not for the faint of heart.
Sure it is. Who are faint of heart? If that expression means anything it can apply to Mormons as well as others.
I think it is easy to find fault with an institution that requires sacrifice and obedience.
...particularly when the "truth claims' of the religion turn out to be unfalsifiable, and the claims that are falsifiable demonstrate it's weakness and failures.
The natural man will, by necessity, find ways/means to escape from the personal discipline which goes along with being a disciple of Christ.
The natural man will find ways to do many things. And, as it turns out, and has been seen millions of times over, pretending to be a disciple of Christ is one of those things.
It’s a lot easier to make up and create your own ‘comfort zone’ of personal behavior and ethics.

Regards,
MG
How would you know? Each person, as it turns out, has their own life with their own level of ease. For many it's quite easy to stay in a religion they don't believe, because getting out may cause many problems with loved ones. You're life may be harder than some others, but it's not harder than everyone's. That's a silly thought, MG. Why are you quick to pretend to know the lives, thoughts and intentions of others?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:54 pm
sock puppet wrote:

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 pm
There are cases where people leave when they have determined that they are not able to live up to what their religion requires. Living the gospel and especially the fullness of the restored gospel is not for the faint of heart. I think it is easy to find fault with an institution that requires sacrifice and obedience. The natural man will, by necessity, find ways/means to escape from the personal discipline which goes along with being a disciple of Christ.

Regards,
MG
:lol: I'm guessing this is sarcasm? Lol, "an institution that requires sacrifice and obedience." Yes, human beings always thrive when they trust an 'institution' to tell them what to sacrifice. Excellent point.

In any case, well done. You really captured that supernaturally-induced irrationality.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

sock puppet wrote:

I fall squarely into this category.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The way Mormons follow Christ is not to read the New Testament, but instead to read “Teachings of the Prophets” and get selected parts of the New Testament taken out of context to justify Mormon practices of tithing, temple worship, priesthood authority, etc etc.

Anyone who simply sits down with the 4 gospels will quickly see through all of that.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

The discipline Mormonism requires is akin to being told to keep a plate spinning while going about ones day. Sure doing so could be considered an achievement. And deciding one is just fine going about ones day without the added burden of having to keep a plate spinning could be seen as being unwilling or unable to meet the imposed standard.

But it doesn't actually do much to explain WHY one should go about ones day keeping a plate spinning when one frames it as MG did above. And there is the real question.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:05 pm
How would you know? Why are you quick to pretend to know the lives, thoughts and intentions of others?
I think I made a matter of fact statement. Isn’t it easier to ‘choose your own adventure’ and avoid that which you see as an impediment to where you want to go?

Common sense. Right?

Alternatively, to bend your will to that of of another is not easy. It is the harder road. I wouldn’t do it unless I had a fairly high degree of trust in the source of the guidance and dependability of the roadmap.

I’d guess we would probably agree on that point. It would be silly to follow a map that leads nowhere.

There are cartographers and then there are Cartographers.

I agree with you, however, that if you as a person don’t trust a particular map to get you where you want to go, you should make your own way.

I wish you luck.

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:08 am
I wouldn’t do it unless I had a fairly high degree of trust in the source of the guidance and dependability of the roadmap.

I’d guess we would probably agree on that point. It would be silly to follow a map that leads nowhere.
Indeed.