The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Morley wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:39 pm
I'm going to add a coda here.

I think it's clear that the LDS Church is a behavioralist organization. It really only focuses on behavior. They think that if they can get members to change their behavior, then the hearts and minds will follow. You're told to attend church, not criticize the leaders, pay your tithing, go to the temple, hold family home evening, keep your convents, say your prayers. The assumption is that behavior will modify emotion and thought. The leaders believe this so strongly that they're convinced that if someone leaves the church, it must be because they couldn't hack the prescribed behaviors, but instead, wanted to engage in alternate behaviors (ie, they wanted to sin).

MG reflects this attitude all the time when he talks about non-believers not being able to maintain the disciplined activities demanded of those who 'choose belief in a creator God.' Even belief is reduced to behavioral terms. Put things on a self. Listen to the brethren. Choose to believe. If you can't manage belief, it must be because you are not doing something right.
So, we can start calling modern Mormonism ‘Skinnerism’ and adherents Skinnerites. They did, after all and despite Oaks’ lies, try to shock the Gay out of some poor BYU students.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:51 pm
Morley wrote:

I think it's clear that the LDS Church is a behavioralist organization. It really only focuses on behavior. They think that if they can get members to change their behavior, then the hearts and minds will follow. You're told to attend church, not criticize the leaders, pay your tithing, go to the temple, hold family home evening, keep your convents, say your prayers. The assumption is that behavior will modify emotion and thought. The leaders believe this so strongly that they're convinced that if someone leaves the church, it must be because they couldn't hack the prescribed behaviors, but instead, wanted to engage in alternate behaviors (ie, they wanted to sin).

MG reflects this attitude all the time when he talks about non-believers not being able to maintain the disciplined activities demanded of those who 'choose belief in a creator God.' Even belief is reduced to behavioral terms. Put things on a self. Listen to the brethren. Choose to believe. If you can't manage belief, it must be because you are not doing something right.
So, we can start calling modern Mormonism ‘Skinnerism’ and adherents Skinnerites. They did, after all and despite Oaks’ lies, try to shock the Gay out of some poor BYU students.

- Doc
Okay, Cam. Well done.

I have to add that getting me back to church would be even harder than teaching pigeons to bowl.

http://www.behavior.org/resources/453.pdf
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Morley wrote:

- Doc
The CoJCoLDS is certainly not humanistic.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
I was talking more behavioralism (poly sci) than behaviorism (psych). But that works, too.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Morley wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:44 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
I was talking more behavioralism (poly sci) than behaviorism (psych). But that works, too.
You left out all the rituals the pigeons do when rewarded with pellets.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Morley wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:44 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
I have a bs in psych so I had to go to what I know. All joking aside, it was a very keen observation and a light went on when you wrote what you wrote. Perhaps Mormons can be described as users, and the cojcolds figured out behavioral algorithms before Facebook did.

I should delete this lest the COB figures out it could just create mirror tools like MormBook, Meddit, Mitter, and InstaMorm where they can just keep their users addicted to their digital cages and grazing fields, lest they keep losing them to secular-minded platforms.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:27 pm

I have a bs in psych so I had to go to what I know. All joking aside, it was a very keen observation and a light went on when you wrote what you wrote. Perhaps Mormons can be described as users, and the cojcolds figured out behavioral algorithms before Facebook did.

I should delete this lest the COB figures out it could just create mirror tools like MormBook, Meddit, Mitter, and InstaMorm where they can just keep their users addicted to their digital cages and grazing fields, lest they keep losing them to secular-minded platforms.
Ha! No kidding.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 pm
Morley wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:49 pm
What do you think, MG 2.0? Where are you on all this?
Out working. I’m retired but go out into the schools and do substitute work periodically. Glutton for punishment. 😄
I think you misunderstood, MG. I wasn't accusing you of being AWOL. I was asking for your opinion.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:36 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Out working. I’m retired but go out into the schools and do substitute work periodically. Glutton for punishment. 😄
I think you misunderstood, MG. I wasn't accusing you of being AWOL. I was asking for your opinion.
No worries. Quite the substitute shortage right now. I’ve been out of the system since 2008. I’m probably crazy for going into classrooms and ‘playing’ teacher, but it’s somewhat rewarding. Young folks are a lot of fun. A lot more fun than I have around here. 😂

Today it was 5th graders.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:36 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

well, you got AN opinion. I suppose that's a start. :D
Morley wrote:

I think it's clear that the LDS Church is a behavioralist organization. It really only focuses on behavior. They think that if they can get members to change their behavior, then the hearts and minds will follow. You're told to attend church, not criticize the leaders, pay your tithing, go to the temple, hold family home evening, keep your convents, say your prayers. The assumption is that behavior will modify emotion and thought....
I agree, but at least when I was in, a lot of the emphasis on behavior was focused on specific behaviors that could be SEEN. As though the appearance of propriety were the important thing, not the actual propriety in character and mindset.

That bugged me quite a bit. It was too much like the Pharisees throwing open their windows to make sure they were SEEN praying.