Have you been blessed by leaving the church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: Have you been blessed by leaving the church?

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:51 am
I also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God given to us in our day.

That probably doesn't surprise you.

Regards,
MG
Here is what MG 2.0 believes are Gods’ words and deeds…
21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

Another blessing of leaving the church is that you are no longer associated with racist thinking and white supremacy.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:19 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
I also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God given to us in our day.

Regards,
MG
Here is what MG 2.0 believes are Gods’ words and deeds…
21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

Another blessing of leaving the church is that you are no longer associated with racist thinking and white supremacy.
I don't know how long that part of the curse lasted, but I don't think it's still in effect.

Lots of white and delightsome people find the descendants of the Lamanites to be totally enticing.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

MG 2.0 wrote:
I consider the books that we have in the Bible to be the word of God as far as they are translated correctly.

All of them. I also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God given to us in our day.
The thing with the books of the Old and New Testament is that we do actually have the texts of those in the original languages, and the scholarly apparatus to deal with the occasional variants between versions of those texts. We can therefore check that they were 'translated correctly' in any version in a modern language such as English. I have an affection for the King James translation, since I was brought up on it and still enjoy its orotundity of language. But so far as being 'translated correctly' goes, while it was a good effort for the early 17th century, the KJV is well is behind the level of modern scholarship, both textual and linguistic. I wonder why certain religious groups (including Mormons, I think) continue to use it, since in a religious context the meaning of the words must surely be a paramount consideration?

But ... umm ... if I may make so bold, how do you know that the text of the Book of Mormon was translated correctly? You know, what with us not having the original text and all.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:01 pm
Thanks for posting this, Analytics. It was inspiring.

Congrats on your good health and happy family, and may both continue!

(if the Chiefs win again, I'd be ok with that to. Mahomes stopped regressing to the mean yesterday, so I'm hopeful. :D )
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:06 pm
Analytics is kicking ass, and it’s awesome to see it. I love good news, and seeing someone do well in life is great. This is turning into a cool thread.
Thank you. I was apprehensive about sharing this, because I know not everybody has been so fortunate. From my perspective, life being better outside the Church is obvious and not worth mentioning.

I start every morning working out in my basement. I put my headphones on and listen to the station "Octane" on XM radio. Octane brands itself "new hard rock," and is the modern version of the stuff I eschewed when I was a teenager.

The topic of the songs are typically quite critical of the power systems that try to control us, and invariably they make me think of the Church. This morning I heard for the first time the song "Christ Copyright" by Nothing More. The lyrics include:

Don't form thoughts, trust politicians
Forfeit soul, pursue religion
Lose free will to gain protection
Sink the ship with good intention
See our minds become conditioned
As we swear by these traditions
Lose our hearts and breed division
Oh my God why can't we wake up wake up

They're selling Heaven tonight oh!
Sign on the dotted line oh!
They've got your Christ on copyright

To think you know who goes to Heaven
Is just one big misconception
Like God hates fags and communism
Create fear to feed the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cxsTDnRN7M

Once your eyes are open, it is so obvious.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:14 am

You don't have to read all of them according to John 20:30-31 and John 21:25. Or was John lying? Explain. According to John his writings are all you need.
I consider the books that we have in the Bible to be the word of God as far as they are translated correctly. ;)

All of them. I also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God given to us in our day.

Regards,
MG
But all you need is John according to Joseph Smith, "26 The Spirit of truth is of God. I am the Spirit of truth, and John bore record of me, saying: He received a fulness of truth, yea, even of all truth" D&C 93:26. Was Joseph Smith lying? You can throw away your Book of Mormon and ignore the rest of your Bible.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG
So was Joseph Smith lying?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

No?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:15 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
I consider the books that we have in the Bible to be the word of God as far as they are translated correctly.

The thing with the books of the Old and New Testament is that we do actually have the texts of those in the original languages, and the scholarly apparatus to deal with the occasional variants between versions of those texts. We can therefore check that they were 'translated correctly' in any version in a modern language such as English. I have an affection for the King James translation, since I was brought up on it and still enjoy its orotundity of language. But so far as being 'translated correctly' goes, while it was a good effort for the early 17th century, the KJV is well is behind the level of modern scholarship, both textual and linguistic. I wonder why certain religious groups (including Mormons, I think) continue to use it, since in a religious context the meaning of the words must surely be a paramount consideration?

But ... umm ... if I may make so bold, how do you know that the text of the Book of Mormon was translated correctly? You know, what with us not having the original text and all.
Bump for MG, particularly the bolded part.

If we are to make provisos about the reliability of the books of the Bible in translation, where we can check whether they were translated correctly, why does this not apply to the Book of Mormon, which is a translation from originals that we do not possess?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:29 pm
I've been watching recent stake conferences on youtube. There's not really anything noteworthy in them, unfortunately. Most of the speakers at the end of the meeting, the highest priesthood holders, have only one thing to say. That being in the church offers unique blessings that you can get no other way.

Is this true for you who have left Mormonism? Have you lost your blessings? Has your life gotten harder, has the joy been removed?
Last Sunday, I went to church. Nowadays, I probably attend maybe twice a year for baby blessings, mission farewells, baptisms, etc. Last Sunday, it was because my dad had been called to the bishopric.

I always enjoy time with my parents. As they’ve been aging, the extra moments I can steal have gained greater meaning and preciousness to me. As unpleasant as it was having my back tortured in one of the metal anti-lumbar chairs (an extra pleasure since my discectomy); being next to my mom and dad was nice.

I genuinely felt sad the whole time (and still do) for my dad being wrangled to do this. Prior to retirement, his job had him on-call 24/7. He could be gone days at a time, and after he had been home for about 9-10 hours, he was considered “rested” and could be called out again. Prior to his retirement a few years ago, holidays were rarely celebrated on their conventional day. Sometimes Christmas presents would be opened a day or two late. Thanksgiving dinner was rarely had on Thanksgiving, and a few times was a Thanksgiving breakfast. Family vacations that included him were an extra rare treat, as my dad had to put in time-off requests usually a year or more in advance to ensure he got them. Even then though, he could get bumped by someone with more seniority.

He missed the baby blessings of about half his grandkids. Countless birthdays, performances, games, awards, and on and on of his children and grandchildren were missed because of the sacrifices he had to make to financial provide for our family. Often, when he would make it to events, you could see just how incredibly tired he was, because him attending usually meant him sacrificing some sleep.

Then, he retired. Thanksgiving dinner started happening on Thanksgiving. Birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, award ceremonies… Dad/Grandpa was there. I got to take my dad on a road trip (just the two of us) up through the Sierra Nevadas, and California. The trip was 5 days, which is the longest time he and I had ever spent together.

My parents had made plans a few weeks ago to spend last weekend on a mini-vacation to Arizona with my sister and her little fam. They had to cancel, so that my dad could be at church to be set apart.

My wife (catholic-to-Mormon-convert-to-atheist) was so confused when she found out, and asked “Why didn’t he just say no?” She never understood the whole “callings come from divine inspiration” component of Mormonism.

I will never (again) have to make a choice between Church, and my family/life. My dad, who was finally free to fully enjoy family and retirement, is now unable to be afforded that.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Steuss, that reminds me of something that happened in Scotland about 45 years ago.

An American who was on assignment by his organization to work in Scotland for 4 or 5 years was called as Branch President in a small branch about half-way through his work assignment.

He had arranged with his employer that he could take several weeks at the end to vacation with his family in Britain and Europe. Because he was in a high-pressure job, on call 24/7, his employer told him that there would be no extensions, no negotiation. The brethren who called him as BP knew what his situation was.

You know what's coming next :cry:

As the time approached, his church leaders told him that they needed him to stay on as BP until the last minute - including his vacation time.

When the time came, they all went back to the US without the vacation that they had looked forward to for years, and with little prospect of returning to take the time later. And he never was able to have the European vacation with his family.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!