My Weekly Russell: 12) Dantzel White Nelson’s Overview

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gabriel
Deacon

My Weekly Russell: 12) Dantzel White Nelson’s Overview

Post by Gabriel »

Gentle Reader,

Before I go back into the weeds with Russell’s relations with the brethren, I am going to devote both this week’s and next week’s episodes to “the big picture.” You may or may not find a few items of interest in each.

The following is the first chapter of Russell’s autobiography, From Heart to Heart (Quality Press, Inc: Russell M. Nelson. 1979), entitled An Overview By Dantzel White Nelson.
”Dantzel White Nelson” wrote: A tall, dark. handsome young man with his nose in a book and completely absorbed in something other than the play we were rehearsing was my first recollection of Russell M. Nelson. He was oblivious to what was happening on the stage when he was not there. When it was his cue, he was there promptly with lines learned and complete concentration on the task at hand. I didn't realize then what a perfect example of his real character this was and has continued to be through all our time together. As we grew to know each other, that same complete concentration focused on me, and our courtship days were days of glowing under his constant concern and dedication even though he was completely concentrating on his premed and medical school studies.

I don 't ever remember being neglected or being upset or having a lovers' quarrel while we were dating. I always felt loved and needed. I remember well his project of '"making Dantzel a member of the Nelson family." Russell made special times for me to be with his family—Sunday night roast beef sandwiches at their home, going out to dinner with them, spending as much time as possible with them. All this tender loving care and attention has continued all through our married life. I am always so grateful for the honor it has been and will be to be his companion, pal, and partner for eternity.

Russell has always had the drive to excel and be the best in whatever he does. I know how hard he worked and studied to graduate first in his class at medical school and to be elected to Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa. I know of his frustration at not being the best of golfers because he only has time to play once or twice a year. In spite of this drive, or maybe because of it, he has not become one-sided but has developed many interests and talents. Not only is he a top student, he is also an excellent skier and a fine musician who plays the piano and organ with great skill, using his amazing memory. Ile has a fine singing voice with perfect pitch, and a real love and appreciation of fine music. He has said that maybe he will take up organ playing seriously because in the next world there will be no need for heart surgeons!

Russell has given careful attention to his spiritual development as well. We were young when we married, but we were determined to be married in the LDS temple and vowed to keep our Heavenly Father's commandments. There has never been a time that we did not strive to keep this commitment. There never was a time when the law of tithing was not observed totally. There never was a time that the Word of Wisdom was cast aside. There never was a time when a child of our Heavenly Father was not welcomed into our home. There never was a time that Russell complained or said one derogatory remark about a leader in the Church. I may have to qualify that by saying that at one time when we lived in Minneapolis, he and Keith Engar thought that perhaps the Sunday School there could be run a bit more efficiently. As far as I know, those thoughts were only mentioned to Amy and me. Shortly after that, the Sunday School superintendency was reorganized with Russell and Keith sustained as the new leaders.

There never was a time when a Church calling was refused or when Russell asked to be released from a Church calling.
Because of all these things our Heavenly Father has poured out his blessings upon us, not only spiritually but temporally as well.
In Russell's professional field of medicine, every step taken seems to have been the right one at the right time. As time went on he was privileged to be accepted at top schools for his training in surgery. The education and discipline there were excellent. He experienced excellent training and wonderful friendships in Boston before we went back to Minneapolis, where he developed his great interest in cardiovascular surgery. At every professional crossroads the question of whether to go into academic medicine or clinical surgery always seemed to arise, and every time we discussed it and prayed about it, even counseled with Church authorities about it. As events turned out, the decisions we made were always the right ones. There were times when the results of our decisions seemed very disappointing; but in the long run, they always resulted in our great blessing and advantage. The blessing given by Elders Spencer W. Kimball and LeGrand Richards when Russell was chosen and set apart to be president of the Bonneville Stake has come to pass. His professional life has never interfered with his Church work; nor has his Church work conflicted with his profession. It seems almost as if the busier he was with his Church assignments, the busier was his surgical service. This writing is not meant to be a eulogy of a perfect man, but merely an overview. Here is a man who has human frailties as all men do. but who works hard to overcome them and rightly deserves the love and admiration of his co-workers, his family, and friends. Russell M, Nelson loves people and has spent his lifetime in service to them. He is a dedicated teacher in his profession. Many interns and residents have told me of the wonderful way he has of teaching, showing. and building confidence. They are most grateful for his concern for their personal welfare and notice that in all things he is a gentleman. I have had patients tell me of their confidence in him and of his sincere concern for them. There have been many who said, “I hope you realize what a great man you married—I owe my life to him!” Just this week a book arrived inscribed by the author: "Thank you for giving us a second chance to really live again. Your skill as a doctor is only surpassed by your caring." I have also seen this man in deep despair and sorrow at times when he couldn't help a patient. But when the call came to help someone else, he sprang into action determined to try again.

His love for the brothers and sisters in the Church likewise knows no bounds. He's never so happy as when he is on a Church assignment or learning from the General Authorities. Many times he has come home after a Sunday School meeting glowing with the love and happiness inherent in that work. His love of people all over the world has led him to study Spanish, Russian, German, and French so that he might be able to read and converse with the people in their own languages. He is also able to give greetings in half a dozen more languages.

As father, husband, and grandfather, Russell is dearly loved because he loves us all. Each child has been a recipient of his blessings through the priesthood and of his blessings as a father. He shows love, tenderness, and kindness with the assurance that if any one of us needs him at any time, he is available to us. He always makes sure we all know where he can be reached and responds when called upon. No task is too great or too small. It may be taking shoes to the repair shop. or getting pamphlets for a school on the heart, or coming to talk to the fifth grade about any phase of medicine, or piling all the little ones, including the grandchildren, in the tub for a bath as only daddy can give a bath, or giving a fireside talk for the married girls and their friends. There have been times when discipline and correction were necessary, but always "reproving betimes with sharpness....and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward [the one] reproved, lest he esteem [him] to be his enemy." (D&C 121:43.)

There has never been a dull moment in our life together. Often I hear people say, "I am so bored with the old routine. My husband never wants to move. He never takes me anywhere. I wish there were something exciting in my life." This attitude is very foreign to me, and difficult to understand. I was born and reared in the small town of Perry, Utah. It was a wonderful life, but my experiences were confined within the limits of school in Brigham City, college in Salt Lake City, and one trip to Yellowstone Park. Since my change of name from White to Nelson, however, my life has become one of constant adventure and action. We have lived in seven different homes; our children have been born in four different states; we have traveled extensively in the USA, including most of the states, and we have visited sixty-three different countries. It has been a wonderful life together and continues to be so.

What a special life we have had. It has not been devoid of problems, but on the whole it has been rich and fulfilling. We have been so blessed to have ten beautiful, healthy children who have been a constant joy and with whom we have learned and loved! As of this writing, seven grandchildren* are a thrill to watch grow and develop. We look forward to seeing more grandchildren.
My hope for the future is to be able to enjoy sharing more adventures and a life that grows continually in love and harmony toward eternity with my sweetheart and companion.

*In June 1979, the arrival of two grandchildren increased the total to nine.
Next week, as there are many scholars here in this forum, I think that it may be of interest to some that I post Russell’s 1979 Professional Curriculum Vitae. Until then,

Do zobaczenia później! Gentle Reader!
Stańczyk
This is for posterity.jpg
This is for posterity.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Gadianton
God

Re: My Weekly Russell: 12) Dantzel White Nelson’s Overview

Post by Gadianton »

I am always so grateful for the honor it has been and will be to be his companion, pal, and partner for eternity.
That would be "co-partner". And, with a chief ministering angel who bows to the other partner, and who in my opinion, writes coldly about the original partner.
This writing is not meant to be a eulogy of a perfect man, but merely an overview. Here is a man who has human frailties as all men do.
I think she probably did write it, but there certainly isn't a single thing in here one wouldn't expect after having read what he's said about himself. I mean, you learn nothing new from this outside voice. If he would have given her a list to put in her own words, then this is what we'd be reading. I don't think he did that, but I suspect she had absorbed enough Mormon culture to know the formula for something he'd sign off on. She wrote what she knew would delight him to read.

Moving 7 times and with 10 grandchildren and with all of his activities it's not believable that he was available anytime anybody needed him. Yes, if a high-ranking church leader needed him, he was in fact available literally at any time, even mid-surgery, as we learn in the next installment.

I thought it was a bit much to say that other women complain about their husbands never wanting to move. Is/was that a thing? I've heard the complaint implied by wishing husband would look for more money in a job, which could entail moving or getting a bigger house, which entails moving. But keeping a marriage exciting by targeting moves to different states all the time? With 10 kids in school? Not something I've heard about. Sounds like a sweet lemon justification.

Anyway, this was in fact a "eulogy of a perfect man" if there ever were one.