DCP does love to name drop

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

DCP does love to name drop

Post by drumdude »

Today on his blog we learn the exciting story of the time he was in the same room as William F Buckley. I believe we have heard this story on his blog before, noteworthy in my mind due to its lack of noteworthy-ness.

But wait, there’s more! A few days later DP learns from his friend that William Buckley actually remembered DP’s name and where he had recently served his mission.

I wonder if the reason Dan feels so much contempt for Hitchens is because Hitchens was his contemporary and lived the life DP dreamed of. Hitch was actually engaged with Buckley, as seen here:

https://youtu.be/FIbdbrN9cwo

And

https://youtu.be/MoKFGYmZjS4

I doubt Hitch thought anything of it, as he was constantly in conversation with the world’s most esteemed intellectual individuals.

Imagine DP at that discussion table. He would be considerably out of his intellectual league.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Re: DCP does love to name drop

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Honestly, a lot of people are fond of retelling stories of their "brush with greatness." Nothing wrong with the genre necessarily, in my opinion.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The game to play is degrees of separation from Daniel C. Peterson.

DCP met with Hugh Nibley
Hugh Nibley met Charles Lindberg
Charles Lindberg met Isadora Duncan
Isadora Duncan met Harry Houdini
Harry Houdini had a seance with Jesus
Jesus returned and reported on Daniel C. Peterson

Full circle.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 am
Honestly, a lot of people are fond of retelling stories of their "brush with greatness." Nothing wrong with the genre necessarily, in my opinion.
Agreed. It also adds some interest to DCP’s blog.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 am
For sure. Huge Nibbler loved to tell people he literally brushed shoulders with Hitler. And no, I’m not making that up.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I once saw the Dalai Lama on television, as also Alan Watts... that's pretty impressive right thar....
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

I stayed at a Holiday Inn once and it was totally uneventful.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Now all we need is for him to set by Mick Jagger.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

I once saw Quorum of the Seventy open for Green Day.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

If I’d ever had a conversation with someone like Buckley, it’d probably be something I would share with people somewhat regularly. Those little moments, for whatever reason, tend to stand out to us, and their personal significance makes us want to share them with others (and usually makes us overshoot their overall importance).

I got hit in the face by a pancake at an Aquabats show at The Huntridge Theater. I share that experience with musicians fairly often, as it was pretty memorable to me. More-often-than-not, it’s met with mild amusement… yet, I keep on sharing it because it was personally important to me.

Which, now that I type this, that a pancake to the face with personally important… gah, that’s kinda depressing.