No atonement theology in the Gospel of Luke

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: No atonement theology in the Gospel of Luke

Post by Kishkumen »

Well, if you are looking into how Smith might have accessed ideas from the Early Church Fathers, go read Stephen Fleming’s dissertation. Smith could access some of those ideas in a few key reference works, some of which he owned or could have accessed locally.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Chap wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 am
Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:50 am
When I first starting learning about Mormonism, my wide-eyed self was *very* surprised at the apparent lack of emphasis on patristics. [...]
Yeah, in early 19th century upstate New York that was a really hot topic.

"Hey Joseph, did you remember to put a good dose of patristics in the cows' evening feed? It really helps raise their milk yield."
"Of course I did - and I've already been to the feed store to top up our reserves. They had a special offer on Origen this week!"
Yeah, me too. Ripley's always saying, "Hey Dude! Keep up! Learn this new word!" Half my vocabulary study is Ripleyarian in nature.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:51 am
Well, if you are looking into how Smith might have accessed ideas from the Early Church Fathers, go read Stephen Fleming’s dissertation. Smith could access some of those ideas in a few key reference works, some of which he owned or could have accessed locally.
I am sure that there are many sources on which Smith might have drawn, had he considered that doing so would be helpful in his projects (whatever those projects may be thought to have been at any given moment).
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Morley wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 pm
Chap wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 am

Yeah, in early 19th century upstate New York that was a really hot topic.

"Hey Joseph, did you remember to put a good dose of patristics in the cows' evening feed? It really helps raise their milk yield."
"Of course I did - and I've already been to the feed store to top up our reserves. They had a special offer on Origen this week!"
Yeah, me too. Ripley's always saying, "Hey Dude! Keep up! Learn this new word!" Half my vocabulary study is Ripleyarian in nature.
I can't stand that Ripley bastard. Always putting on airs. If he held his nose any higher he'd have to file a plan with the FAA.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:49 pm
Morley wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 pm

I can't stand that Ripley bastard. Always putting on airs. If he held his nose any higher he'd have to file a plan with the FAA.
Sixty-three axe handles high,
With his feet on the ground
And his head in the sky
It's Bret (It's Bret)
Bret Ripley!
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

for what it's worth: here is a dissertation that addresses the sort of thing I had in mind re sifting early sources while wearing one's 'apologist' hat:

https://epublications.marquette.edu/dis ... AI3210979/

From the Abstract:
As Smith's movement grew, other arguments developed that could be used to assert divine validity. One of these arguments was the use of extra-biblical patristic literature. Mormons have sought patristic differences and similarities to their current beliefs. They argue that similarities show a pure strain of Christianity (proto-Mormonism) which disappeared as mainstream patristic Catholicism (reflected through patristic differences to Mormon belief) pushed it into marginalization and eventual extinction.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:06 pm
for what it's worth: here is a dissertation that addresses the sort of thing I had in mind re sifting early sources while wearing one's 'apologist' hat:

https://epublications.marquette.edu/dis ... AI3210979/

From the Abstract:
As Smith's movement grew, other arguments developed that could be used to assert divine validity. One of these arguments was the use of extra-biblical patristic literature. Mormons have sought patristic differences and similarities to their current beliefs. They argue that similarities show a pure strain of Christianity (proto-Mormonism) which disappeared as mainstream patristic Catholicism (reflected through patristic differences to Mormon belief) pushed it into marginalization and eventual extinction.
Ah. Thank you for the link!