You Shouldn’t Done It, Wussell!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gabriel
Deacon

You Shouldn’t Done It, Wussell!

Post by Gabriel »

Gentle Reader,

During the course of my little book report I have been getting increasingly bombarded with little bits of Russell-trivia, much of which I can’t include in my installments without bloating them even more than they already are. Anyway, this was passed along to me. I can’t take credit for the research.

It is from a gossip column in the March 29, 1945 edition of the University of Utah’s student paper, entitled You Shouldn't Have Done It.

(By the way, my apologies in advance to all those who may have already heard this story at church firesides or at General Conference. However, I can’t seem to find it in Russell’s book.)
You Shouldn't Have Done It

The campus is fairly throbbing with news as the first little robin comes forth to display his red breast, then covers it with an overcoat and crawls back in for another month or two. Most of the news has been on ice all winter but it's out now, and if you didn't want the world to know about it, you shouldn't have done it. Here goes:

The canary-kid Dantzel White was fined recently for abusing government property. What if she did slap Wussell's face, he probably deserved it.

Latest pin-hanging news involves another play-it-cagey-you've-got-till-you're-a-senior-to-hang-your-pin Sigma Chi. Seems Rick Warner at last found a girl with blue in her eyes and gold in her pocketbook. Where? At Papiano's naturally.

Sigma Nus held a birthday party at their house last Monday for Skip Light who just turned 15. Pink ice cream, punch and Lorna Doone wafers were served. The boys chipped in for a gift—a quart of Old Crow all tied up with blue ribbon !

Bob Cutler was caught beating the weeds he keeps hidden under The Chronicle stationery in his desk and, as of Thursday next, editorial activities will be assumed by a very competent and conscientious Tri Delt, Renee Leigh. All interested in working with her (gentlemen, please! wait till I finish) should contact Booth 314 in the C.I. building.
https://newspapers.lib.utah.edu/details ... &q=dantzel

Fortunately for Dantzel, she apparently ended up ditching this Wussell-character in order to marry the current prophet, seer, and revelator five months later in the temple.

Do zobaczenia później! Gentle Reader!

Stańczyk
This is for posterity.jpg
This is for posterity.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Marcus
God

Re: You Shouldn’t Done It, Wussell!

Post by Marcus »

From Dantzel's obituary, in the SLTrib.
...Dantzel had been accepted to Julliard School of Music in New York City, but marriage changed all that...

https://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?re ... ci_2577692
Mormon marriage has a way of doing that. For the women, at least.
Previous to their marriage, she had received a scholarship to the Juilliard School of Music…but exchanged it for the privilege of marriage.

https://slidetodoc.com/teachings-of-the ... on-nelson/
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:51 pm
From Dantzel's obituary, in the SLTrib.
...Dantzel had been accepted to Julliard School of Music in New York City, but marriage changed all that...

https://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?re ... ci_2577692
Mormon marriage has a way of doing that. For the women, at least.
Previous to their marriage, she had received a scholarship to the Juilliard School of Music…but exchanged it for the privilege of marriage.

https://slidetodoc.com/teachings-of-the ... on-nelson/
Even two decades later Dantzel still had to put her musical dreams on hold.

The following is from page 114 of Russell's autobiography from his chapter, Service as a Stake President.
”Russell M. Nelson wrote:The following Saturday afternoon as we were involved in stake conference meetings, I was called out of the meeting to meet with Elder Richards and Elder Kimball. Elder Kimball said, “We feel that the Lord wants you to preside over this stake. During our many interviews, whenever your name has come up the response has been rather routine: 'Oh, he wouldn't be very good,' or 'He doesn't have time,' or both. Nonetheless, we feel that the Lord wants you. Now if you feel that you are too busy and shouldn't accept the call, then that's your privilege. But we have to remain true to the inspiration given to us to extend you the call to be the president of Bonneville Stake."

I simply answered that that decision was made August 31, 1945, when Sister Nelson and I were married in the temple. We made a commitment then to "seek...first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness," feeling confident that everything else would be added unto us, as the Lord promised. (See Matt. 6:33.) The Lord had been so good to us that there was nothing we desired more than to serve where he wanted us to serve, in whatever capacity we were called to serve.

They said, “Do you want to call Sister Nelson and get her permission?”

"I would like to call her,” I said, “but not to get permission, for I know the answer she will give. I have just given it to you, but I think that she would appreciate such a call as a courtesy.”

We phoned her and she said what I thought she would say. In other words, she sustained me wholeheartedly. This upset her plans a bit too, because she had just accepted a personal request from Brother Richard P. Condie to be a member of the Tabernacle Choir. But Elder Kimball and Elder Richards counseled her to decline that assignment, at least for the present, and lend her full support to me in this new calling instead.

Then the Brethren said, “Let us know whom you would like to call for your counselors.”

"May I pray about it?” I asked.

They said, 'Yes. We'll be back in twenty minutes."

So I consulted with the Lord about it in prayer and had a clear vision as to who should be called.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I just for the utter life of me cannot possibly believe anyone falls for all this pea pickin spiritual dramatic revelation, inspired counsel, and all the cookins that go with it. It's like everything has to take such a melodramatic situation with him. I just.... find......it......phony.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

”Russell M. Nelson wrote:The following Saturday afternoon as we were involved in stake conference meetings, I was called out of the meeting to meet with Elder Richards and Elder Kimball. Elder Kimball said, “We feel that the Lord wants you to preside over this stake. During our many interviews, whenever your name has come up the response has been rather routine: 'Oh, he wouldn't be very good,' or 'He doesn't have time,' or both. Nonetheless, we feel that the Lord wants you. Now if you feel that you are too busy and shouldn't accept the call, then that's your privilege. But we have to remain true to the inspiration given to us to extend you the call to be the president of Bonneville Stake."

I simply answered that that decision was made August 31, 1945, when Sister Nelson and I were married in the temple. We made a commitment then to "seek...first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness," feeling confident that everything else would be added unto us, as the Lord promised. (See Matt. 6:33.) The Lord had been so good to us that there was nothing we desired more than to serve where he wanted us to serve, in whatever capacity we were called to serve.

They said, “Do you want to call Sister Nelson and get her permission?”

"I would like to call her,” I said, “but not to get permission, for I know the answer she will give. I have just given it to you, but I think that she would appreciate such a call as a courtesy.”
Misogyny 101