Find out if God is real, and connect with him

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Find out if God is real, and connect with him

Post by malkie »

In the topic The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels, MG refers to a paper by focus.org. The paper talks about fine tuning, and, specifically, changes in the value of the strong force.

focus.org has a Win/Mac/Android app to "find out if God is real, and to connect with him".

Any volunteers to try it out and report back? Perhaps this app can short-circuit a lot of the discussions that go on here between believers and non-believers.

The site is Christian oriented, so I expect that the app will not allow you to connect with any of the other gods that people believe(d) in, which I think is a serious omission. Also, I would not be at all surprised if the app displayed anti-Mormon ideas, or at least ideas that are incompatible with Mormonism.

Of course, elsewhere you can find apps for some of these alternative deities. For example, there is at least one side-loadable android app for pastafarianism.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
huckelberry
God

Re: Find out if God is real, and connect with him

Post by huckelberry »

malkie wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:59 am

The site is Christian oriented, so I expect that the app will not allow you to connect with any of the other gods that people believe(d) in, which I think is a serious omission. Also, I would not be at all surprised if the app displayed anti-Mormon ideas, or at least ideas that are incompatible with Mormonism.

Of course, elsewhere you can find apps for some of these alternative deities. For example, there is at least one side-loadable android app for pastafarianism.
Malkie, a variant point of view,

I am not aware of any reason to think there is more than one god. I know there are different names and doctrines and representatives but I cannot see those as creating different gods. Pastafarianism may well have a more meal orientated cult than others but that does not generate a new god. Some folks may favor noodles while others spaghetti. Even if the noodles go to war that does not divide God.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It seems to me the modern Mormon belief is that belief in ANY deity is fine. Believing in the wrong deity, or even no deity at all is not a problem. There's plenty of time to save that soul after they die.

What is a problem is having a testimony of the real Mormon deity, and then losing that testimony. Actively rejecting Mormonism. That is what keeps Mormons up at night.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:21 am
malkie wrote:

I am not aware of any reason to think there is more than one god. I know there are different names and doctrines and representatives but I cannot see those as creating different gods. Pastafarianism may well have a more meal orientated cult than others but that does not generate a new god. Some folks may favor noodles while others spaghetti. Even if the noodles go to war that does not divide God.
Your rationale for not believing in more than one is the same rationale I have for not believing any. Is it that one God is sufficient, so you see no reason for more?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
I am not aware of any reason to think there is more than one god.
I’ll take a shot at this, but one man’s god is another man’s demi-god is another man’s alien. Can you explain to us what are your god’s physical properties, where it resides, and what’s it’s relationship to the universe outside of earthly affairs? I ask because we have to agree on some basic god-facts before we can actually have any sort of good-faith discussion about your god.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
malkie wrote:

Do you want to be the one to tell the folks at focus.org that their app is as likely to confirm the existence of, and allow communication with, any (or all!) of the other gods because they are all the same, even though their believers ascribe totally different characteristics to them?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 am
huckelberry wrote:
I am not aware of any reason to think there is more than one god.
I’ll take a shot at this, but one man’s god is another man’s demi-god is another man’s alien. Can you explain to us what are your god’s physical properties, where it resides, and what’s it’s relationship to the universe outside of earthly affairs? I ask because we have to agree on some basic god-facts before we can actually have any sort of good-faith discussion about your god.

- Doc
I do not recall claiming to know gods physical properties.
Is there something about god which actually matters to you that you wanted to discuss?
Sorry I do not know gods address nor do I have a bag of god facts.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Perhaps folks are wondeering if Eric Clapton is still god. I think some of his stuff with Cream is level above. Stuff like I shot the sheriff is nice but not a level above.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

:lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:20 am
Perhaps folks are wondeering if Eric Clapton is still god. I think some of his stuff with Cream is level above. Stuff like I shot the sheriff is nice but not a level above.

Keith Richards remains a god.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!