Find out if God is real, and connect with him

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Find out if God is real, and connect with him

Post by Chap »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:21 am
I am not aware of any reason to think there is more than one god.
May I just say that in historical, geographic and cultural terms, you probably need to get out more?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:57 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 am

I’ll take a shot at this, but one man’s god is another man’s demi-god is another man’s alien. Can you explain to us what are your god’s physical properties, where it resides, and what’s it’s relationship to the universe outside of earthly affairs? I ask because we have to agree on some basic god-facts before we can actually have any sort of good-faith discussion about your god.

- Doc
I do not recall claiming to know gods physical properties.
Is there something about god which actually matters to you that you wanted to discuss?
Sorry I do not know gods address nor do I have a bag of god facts.
Well. I think when you assert there’s only one god then you have a relationship of sorts with that god, how else would you know there’s only one god?

Which is fine. That’s your thing.

In order for a rational discussion to take place, to figure out whether or not belief in your god is rational, we need to agree whether or not the nature of your god is even possible in this universe. And then we have to figure out its motivations with regard to reality, and so forth. An example:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM). Without getting bogged down in the details of FSM worship, would belief in the FSM be rational? Of course not, because it doesn’t exist. Nothing about a bowl of spaghetti with meatball eyes flying around with noodle appendages makes rational sense.

So, say you assert there’s only one god, but to you it’s the FSM, we can figure out pretty quickly whether or not this god can actually exist or not. That’s what I’m getting at. I want to understand what your understanding of your god, a singular entity that has achieved god status, is.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:06 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:57 am

I do not recall claiming to know gods physical properties.
Is there something about god which actually matters to you that you wanted to discuss?
Sorry I do not know gods address nor do I have a bag of god facts.
Well. I think when you assert there’s only one god then you have a relationship of sorts with that god, how else would you know there’s only one god?

Which is fine. That’s your thing.

In order for a rational discussion to take place, to figure out whether or not belief in your god is rational, we need to agree whether or not the nature of your god is even possible in this universe. And then we have to figure out its motivations with regard to reality, and so forth. An example:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM). Without getting bogged down in the details of FSM worship, would belief in the FSM be rational? Of course not, because it doesn’t exist. Nothing about a bowl of spaghetti with meatball eyes flying around with noodle appendages makes rational sense.

So, say you assert there’s only one god, but to you it’s the FSM, we can figure out pretty quickly whether or not this god can actually exist or not. That’s what I’m getting at. I want to understand what your understanding of your god, a singular entity that has achieved god status, is.

- Doc
Excellent set of suggestions.

There's no discussion to be had if the person contends "I believe in God on faith" when asked to give reason for God. More than one god makes far more sense than one god, it likely changes the concept of what god is to something completely archaic sounding to us now--like a person who used to live and goes on living in some other unknowable place. I'd like to see someone make a case that it's rational to believe there's a god or gods, though, as Doctor Cam suggests.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

He, or She, or It?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:25 pm
He, or She, or It?
Well, sheit
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Chap wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:19 am
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:21 am
I am not aware of any reason to think there is more than one god.
May I just say that in historical, geographic and cultural terms, you probably need to get out more?
Do you imagine that I am actually unaware of Zeus , Athena, Allah, Krishna etc etc? It would would be difficult to be that provincial.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I guess I need to explain myself a bit here. I brought up Eric Clapton, well there was thing back once upon a time, to point out a different uses of the word god. Nobody including Jersey Girl believes either Clapton or Richards is a real god. It is a poetic analogy. People have used the idea of god to point to various images of superlative or something which reminds of superlative. That could catch a wide spread of candidates or could narrow with discrimination. I have heard music commentators refer to guitar gods of the 60s or 70s and be referring to a bunch of people. People spoke of Clapton as the best though Jersey Girl disagrees.

I would say that god is the ground of being and our ultimate concern. That could be said creator of heaven and earth and the creator of our nature which cares. I think that is one thing whether it is a willing planning force or if it is the ultimate equations in physics.

(by ultimate concern I mean the values you have in yourself not religious teaching)
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

What if the "said creator of heaven and earth and the creator of our nature" doesn't really care?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:59 am
STOP IT. Did you know there's a children's book called Duck! Rabbit!?

Whoever created that cartoon ripped off the book.

I can't get my image to post. Here's a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Rabbit-Amy- ... 8384&psc=1
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!