Last Days Envisioned at MD&D

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Last Days Envisioned at MD&D

Post by Moksha »

For US Mormons, religiosity has declined over time, study shows Mormons are not as devout as they used to be.
November 23, 2021
By Jana Riess
This news has the posters at that so-called "other" board viewing this religiosity decline as a sign of the final days. Will the sky soon begin to fall over the Orem-Provo area or can a sufficient amount of true believers work their magic and return MD&D to calmness, even if the youngins leave the Church?

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/74 ... among-lds/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Last Days Envisioned at MD&D

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:01 am
For US Mormons, religiosity has declined over time, study shows Mormons are not as devout as they used to be.
November 23, 2021
By Jana Riess
This news has the posters at that so-called "other" board viewing this religiosity decline as a sign of the final days. Will the sky soon begin to fall over the Orem-Provo area or can a sufficient amount of true believers work their magic and return MD&D to calmness, even if the youngins leave the Church?

Yes, the invention of ketchup is a sign of the last days, as well as airplanes, hot tubs, and garden carrot picking machines. Hordes of mosquitos are right up there as are Llamas in Idaho, Beetles in Norway, and birds in Japan. Come to think of it, plastic shoes make that list of ushering in the Last Days for Israel as do harmonicas, the publication of the Zohar, and dogs shedding in the house. Man, I can feel it, it's really, really close now...
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I’m holding out for rain of toads.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

“Last Days” is a brilliant retention message because it sets up guaranteed victory speech outcomes. Church growth is a sign of correctness and divine favor. Church decline is a sign of last days wickedness. As there is no valid test of disprovability, the Q15 are assured victory speeches among the orthodox membership forever.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:39 pm
“Last Days” is a brilliant retention message because it sets up guaranteed victory speech outcomes. Church growth is a sign of correctness and divine favor. Church decline is a sign of last days wickedness. As there is no valid test of disprovability, the Q15 are assured victory speeches among the orthodox membership forever.
Oh Gloria in excelsis Deo! Don't you see? This is truth then! A win - win is a perfect set up from a perfect God in a perfect church with perfect opinions touted as perfect revelations to its imperfect followers to try and perfect themselves! And the Brethren are here to control it all help!!!Hallelujah!
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Scott Lloyd:
Also that the church of the Lamb of God would be over all the face of the earth but that its numbers would be relatively few due to Satanic influences and philosophies.
Book of Mormon:
12 And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were few, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon all the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw.

13 And it came to pass that I beheld that the great mother of abominations did gather together multitudes upon the face of all the earth, among all the nations of the Gentiles, to fight against the Lamb of God.

14 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.
Dominion doesn't mean people. It means their powers or influence were small. I forgive him though, for he knows not what he does.

Looks like they are spread across the earth and have relatively little influence. And the great powers of being nice to others, like accepting LGBTQ, are fighting hard against the small band of uninfluential Mormon folks who are taking on God's armor and bravely fighting windmills and the like.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Blubell:
Don't the scriptures prophesy that in the last days many of the very elect will fall away? Seems like we are probably seeing the fulfillment of that to some degree.
Matthew:
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
no matter that Matthew would have been talking about people in the day he was writing...and no matter that it's false messiah's and prophets who will show great signs and wonders that shall deceive them...it's good to apply scripture to ourselves. Yes, it appears Matthew is saying that in 2,000 years from then, there will be many members who, due to a pandemic, won't be getting baptized and such.

Prophecy fulfilled.

But granted, religions have been taking a hit in the past couple decades.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:01 am
November 23, 2021
By Jana Riess

Just sweet.
Teancum:
Isn't it great how that works. Whent he Church grow's it is fulfillment of prophesy-the stone cut out of the mountain without hands to fill the entire earth. When it doesn't that is prophesy too. WIN WIN!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Isn't it wonderful and so spiritually fulfilling that the Church is set up as a win win all the time no matter what happens so that true prophecy can occur no matter what happens, no matter who says what, and no matter where what is said by whoever says it it ends up being a fulfillment of something or other? Nostradamus never had it so good. Oh such a happen day for the church... and it gets to keep all that vast, vast wealth in the process! I am tingling all over ...
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:39 pm
Yep.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.