Last Days Envisioned at MD&D

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Last Days Envisioned at MD&D

Post by dastardly stem »

Morley wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:12 pm

I know Mormons who say, "Wow, we should set up missions in the Middle East! Muslims wouldn't have any problem with our history of polygamy, they already don't drink alcohol, and the culture is certainly conservative--so we're half the way there!" Even if the governments allowed it, Mormon proselytization in the Near East will never be very successful. Islam and Mormonism are entirely different cultures. The way they each look at the world and their respective concepts of God are grossly incompatible.
Where's your faith, Morely? God's in charge and loves everyone-ish.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:19 pm
Morley wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:12 pm

I know Mormons who say, "Wow, we should set up missions in the Middle East! Muslims wouldn't have any problem with our history of polygamy, they already don't drink alcohol, and the culture is certainly conservative--so we're half the way there!" Even if the governments allowed it, Mormon proselytization in the Near East will never be very successful. Islam and Mormonism are entirely different cultures. The way they each look at the world and their respective concepts of God are grossly incompatible.
Where's your faith, Morely? God's in charge and loves everyone-ish.
"-ish" is right.

I'm maybe something between a theist and a pantheist. However, I'm mostly a subscriber of (what I'm going to asshattedly call) Morley's Wager.

If there is a god, or even MG's 'creator god,' then the only god that makes sense would one who is only concerned about what we do (ie, good works) rather than faith, ritual, or belief in this or that. Any just God who might exist would care only about how we treat each other, ourselves, and the larger world--not how we wear our clothes or word our prayers. Alternatively, if there is no god, then the only thing that matters is also what we do, or how we treat each other, ourselves, and the larger world. So, for me, it's pretty much a wash.

If god is actually the jealous, irrational, pissy, racist, petulant, "Do what I say, not what I do!" God who some describe and believe in, then I want to go to everlasting hell and burn forever, just to be away from him.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Morley
If god is actually the jealous, irrational, pissy, racist, petulant, "Do what I say, not what I do!" God who some describe and believe in, then I want to go to everlasting hell and burn forever, just to be away from him.
She's not, no worries...