Elohim and the deceptive aliens

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Elohim and the deceptive aliens

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

If you're a Gen Xer or an older millennial, chances are that the video game Doom was something you played as a kid or you knew people who played it. It was in my case, at least.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the latest revival of the game which creates a very elaborate backstory to the "Doomguy" character and his battles against undead foes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBT5KluSTw

Not to spoil it for those who might want to play the game, but the new lore of the game has a number of similarities to the materialist spiritualism of Mormonism that might be mildly relevant to the board considering recent discussions over divine nature and religion:
  • The beings worshipped by humans are revealed to actually be highly advanced aliens called Makyrs
  • The aliens benefit humans by revealing important truths to them and helping them advance
  • The Makyrs are the source of all religious worship and ancient descriptions of them are present in many human religions as angels. Religion is their primary propaganda method to control and delude other beings to obey them as "God."
  • The places humans think of as Heaven and Hell actually exist but are really parallel dimensions ruled by aliens
  • The Makyrs themselves were made by another "grandpa god" who they kept hidden from regular mortals
There are a lot of other aspects to the story and obviously it's made-up (with some similarities to the War Hammer franchise). But if we're being honest, is it really that much more ridiculous than believing that a former human created this world and then revealed himself to a 19th century frontier con man who couldn't keep his zipper shut? Is it really less provable than worshiping a single member of the ancient Canaanite pantheon, whose corporeality, marriages, and lineage has changed many times under the influence of other pagan faiths?
Last edited by Alphus and Omegus on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Elohim and the deceptive aliens

Post by Res Ipsa »

A male cult leader who can’t keep his zipper zipped? That’s totally unbelievable. ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:22 am
A male cult leader who can’t keep his zipper zipped? That’s totally unbelievable. ;)
Well, you got me on that one!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:16 am
There are a lot of other aspects to the story and obviously, it's made-up.
Oh yeah, well how do you explain finding this in the basement of the Maxwell Building at BYU?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I have not played the Game Alphus, but now I may have to! Thanks for the heads up.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:17 am
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:16 am
There are a lot of other aspects to the story and obviously, it's made-up.
Oh yeah, well how do you explain finding this in the basement of the Maxwell Building at BYU?

Makes you wonder! And after all, according to more than a few mopologists, there's nothing wrong with asking a question.