Denver Snuffer's "Mormonism Live" interview

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Denver Snuffer's "Mormonism Live" interview

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

I must have missed it, but I don't think I saw anyone discussing the recent Denver Snuffer discussion with RFM and Bill Reel. I thought they did a good job.

I didn't have time for it over the holiday, so here is the link in case others didn't watch/listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTwiKfYO6GM

A few random thoughts:

--There's a lot of ground covered. I hadn't paid any attention to Snuffer at all since I have no idea how much of a following he has, but it was interesting to see that he seems to have a far healthier viewpoint toward homosexuality than Nelson-Young Mormonism (fast-forward to 1:31:15).

--His viewpoints about Joseph Smith's practices and his own personal views of "priestcraft" seem rather contradictory. Smith very clearly was running a personal operation that he made money from, it's inarguable. Snuffer seems to abhor this.

--No real discussion of his claims to have seen Jesus, which I found disappointing.

--Overall, his theology kind of reminds me of Restoration Branch theology, the group that split from the RLDS after the renaming to the Community of Christ. But I will admit, I have not studied them that much.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Denver Snuffer's "Mormonism Live" interview

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

My wife and I watched the whole interview, which we found fascinating. I thought DS was treated with respect by Consig, and it was very notable that Bill Reel kind of let Consig run with the show.

One thing that stuck with me was the discipline thing they touched on. DS said something to the effect that his church has ceded disciplinary responsibilities over to the women. He or ‘they’ felt women were better suited to deal with internal matters than men, yet men were still tasked with things like blessings? Interesting.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

It was a fascinating interview! I was in the chat and when Snuffer got to the LGBTQ issues a lot of the folks in chat got rather hostile to his view. It seemed to them this was just yet another Joseph Smith so why bother. I thought Reel and Consig did a really excellent job. This was the first time I also had any information about Snuffer, whom I have not paid attention to much. He is an interesting gent.
mcjathan
Nursery

Post by mcjathan »

Back in the day when DS was first becoming known, and before he was excommunicated, I attended one of his meetings in Logan, UT on a Sunday evening in September of 2013. As an agnostic, I wasn't interested in his theology, but I was interested to hear him talk and see what he was all about.

The meeting was held at a local restaurant, the Coppermill, that had various sized conference rooms. My expectation was to meet in a small conference room with ~30 other people. Instead, all the conference rooms had been opened up into one large room filled with 400 to 500 people! :shock: It was quite striking that DS, outside of church channels, drew that large of a crowd in small-town Logan!

As I sat listening to DS, I didn't find his sermon all that compelling at a personal level. But, I was fascinated by the audience. The audience struck me as the Utah Tea Party wing of the Utah Republican party.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:48 pm
This was the first time I also had any information about Snuffer, whom I have not paid attention to much. He is an interesting gent.
Denver is a really nice guy. He is sort of like you and Consiglieri in that he is loaded with information. Bet the two of you could find much to discuss on your podcast. I like how Denver wishes to regain the spiritual out of a fossilized institutional religion and I am encouraged to see believers seeking after that exact thing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Didn't listen to it all. Too boring. Like church. No offense to Consig, or Snuffer. What I did hear was:

Church used to be exciting. Back when it was an unabashedly racist and homophobic institution we could say what we wanted, and it was exciting. It was so much better then. We'd argue and say thing about doctrine...speculating about when Jesus would come and how great Joseph was...

I mean I know I wasn't around then, so it's not fair to say, in a way, but I can't help but wonder if the Church didn't make changes as it did, if it would have been nothing more than a hostile white supremacist, anti-gay fear factory. I mean it's almost that now, so if they did, what Denver suggests and just let everyone grumble about nonsense, there'd have been dozens of second coming announcements that came and went and the institution would be about 30 years behind where it is now, which is sitting near the 1950s. Its almost as if he's running the Trump wave of wanting to go back to when things were better, as his ignorant former self saw it, pretending there were no problems.

I didn't listen long, but that's basically why. Sounded lame.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:30 pm
Didn't listen to it all. Too boring. Like church. No offense to Consig, or Snuffer. What I did hear was:

Church used to be exciting. Back when it was an unabashedly racist and homophobic institution we could say what we wanted, and it was exciting. It was so much better then. We'd argue and say thing about doctrine...speculating about when Jesus would come and how great Joseph was...

I mean I know I wasn't around then, so it's not fair to say, in a way, but I can't help but wonder if the Church didn't make changes as it did, if it would have been nothing more than a hostile white supremacist, anti-gay fear factory. I mean it's almost that now, so if they did, what Denver suggests and just let everyone grumble about nonsense, there'd have been dozens of second coming announcements that came and went and the institution would be about 30 years behind where it is now, which is sitting near the 1950s. Its almost as if he's running the Trump wave of wanting to go back to when things were better, as his ignorant former self saw it, pretending there were no problems.

I didn't listen long, but that's basically why. Sounded lame.
I also noted Denver was against the leaders hierarchy and the idea of keys and key holes. Yet turned right around and explained how women run the disciplinary councils. Denver is just another example of full grown adults Larping. He also exposed himself as a homophobe. His language of people being broken was just another example of how religion creates the problem and sells the cure.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

He reminded me of Grant Palmer and the Tanners. They have a long list of criticism for Mormonism, but they can't apply that same criticism to their own irrational beliefs. It always amuses me to see people stop halfway between leaving the church and ending up a full on non-believer.
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

This reminds me. Whatever happened to that Apocalrock dude?

And that Nemelka fellow who had the translation to the sealed plates or whatever?

Too many kooks to keep up with. Someone should make a Kook-Tracker App or something
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Equality wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:40 pm
This reminds me. Whatever happened to that Apocalrock dude?

And that Nemelka fellow who had the translation to the sealed plates or whatever?

Too many kooks to keep up with. Someone should make a Kook-Tracker App or something
I've never heard of the former, but I recall someone saying that Nemelka had said it was all a joke, but I don't have a reference for that. He apparently claimed he was the reincarnation of Hyrum Smith at some point also:

https://www.mrm.org/christopher-nemelka