The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2021

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2021

Post by huckelberry »

I am wondering how Shulem's discovery of the geographic location for the Book of Mormon did not make the list.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 am
I am wondering how Shulem's discovery of the geographic location for the Book of Mormon did not make the list.

No worries. Discovering the missing snout out of the lead plate didn't make it either.

It's whatever when it comes to Doctor Scratch.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 am
It’s because it didn’t make any dent in the Mopologists’ edifice. They didn’t comment on it or react to it—at least, as far as I know. I respect Shulem enormously and think he is the greatest critic of the Book of Abraham who has ever lived. But just because I think that doesn’t mean that it has registered with the Mopologists, for what it's worth. One day, someone should compile a “Greatest Hits” of Shulem’s Book of Abraham commentary. I’d volunteer for the task myself, but I confess that Shulem’s erudition on the subject far exceeds my own, and I worry that I’d overlook something vital.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Scratch,

You are truly gifted. Your writing is extraordinary, word-craft simple, humorous, precise, searing and always insightful.

It’s always bittersweet reading these Top 10 lists knowing that it will be another year until we are gifted with another. These are always my favorite. This year’s list didn’t disappoint.

Thank you Dr. Scratch. May God bless you and your family.

Merry Christmas!!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

This is a fun list, but can you really say "Witless" was a bomb if it fulfilled its real objective, to shake loose donor coin? Most non-profit films are not moneymaking. They are about promoting the message. In the case of "Witless," it's to buff the credibility of Martin Harris and his stories about the Book of Mormon and Deer Jesus.

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:21 am
John Gee resigned as editor[/url] of the Journal for the Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities, signing off with an angry screed that many viewed as unprofessional, and which several observers interpreted as a swipe at the late Egyptologist--and Gee's one-time dissertation advisor--Robert Ritner.
Besides incurring the wrath of the journal, did this stunt create any ripples in the world of Egyptology? Did it spill over into a general distrust of BYU?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Dr. Scratch, as old Mopologists don't die, they just lose their audience, I wonder if you might have an all-time Top Ten (or Twenty) Happenings in Mopologetics as that audience has dwindled so much in recent years.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 am
I respect Shulem enormously and think he is the greatest critic of the Book of Abraham who has ever lived.

THANK YOU, and that is beautiful music to my ears. I wholeheartedly agree.

:)
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:29 pm
Happy Holidays!!!

I believe Gee’s action in #7 (resigning from the journal with after being outed for the attack on Ritner) happened many years ago.(?)
Yep. That's right. This is very old news. Our knowledge of it, however, is new.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:But Executive Producer Peterson soldiered forth, ultimately taking a top prize at a small Utah film festival, and eventually, this movie about the witnesses' barely-concealed homosexual crushes on Joseph Smith, made it to the big screen, with spotty distribution across the U.S. and Canada.
I would take credit for having spotted this, but you can't take credit for something that everyone with two eyes and a functioning brain can readily see.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow