The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2021

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2021

Post by Kishkumen »

While sick and asleep about noonday of the 17th inst., I dreamed that I went to see Joseph. He looked perfectly natural, sitting with his feet on the lower round of his chair. I took hold of his right hand and kissed him many times, and said to him: "Why is it that we cannot be together as we used to be? You have been from us a long time, and we want your society and I do not like to be separated from you."

Joseph rising from his chair and looking at me with his usual earnest, expressive and pleasing countenance replied, "It is all right."

I said, "I do not like to be away from you."

Joseph said, "It is all right; we cannot be together yet; we shall be by and by; but you will have to do without me a while, and then we shall be together again."
Exactly. BY was totally in love with Joseph.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:54 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:29 am

??? Sorry my man, I ain’t buying it.
Stand firm and do not let him cuddle you without your express consent.
We need to see a vote taken in General Conference to see if this is acceptable as scripture for the future.
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Perhaps an Honorable Mention for RFM (consig) and the rise of "Mormonism Live" with he and Bill Reel?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The Stig wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:47 am
Perhaps an Honorable Mention for RFM (consig) and the rise of "Mormonism Live" with he and Bill Reel?
Absolutely! Other Honorable Mentions include:

--Jeff Lindsay's Criticism of Dan Vogel Gets Manhandled at "Mormanity"

--DCP Uses a Phony Norwegian Testimony to Plug 'Witnesses'

--Dr. Peterson Spreads Malicious (and False) Gossip About Dan Vogel
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:40 pm
Mormon apologetics is slowly fading to irrelevance. The LDS church is shrinking for the first time in its history. These are truly the end times, and the Millenium is at hand.
Indeed. It is not so much that someone 'shot our fox', rather that the mopologetic canid in question seems increasingly shy of showing his nose outside his earth nowadays.

Pity: it was fun while it lasted.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:21 am

8. The Louis Midgley Festschrift is Riddled with Errors

I don't think there can be any doubt that the Mopologists are beginning to wonder what their mortal legacies will be--particulary given Dr. Peterson's retirement from BYU this year (among other things). And despite the fact that one would think that entry into the Celestial Kingdom would be more than enough for them (isn't that what their "mortal probation" is all about?) they nonetheless have been lusting after secular recognition and validation in the same way that flies are drawn to fresh turds. And let you think that my use of metaphor is crude and over-the-top, consider the case of the "festschrift" that was put together for Dr. Midgley--edited and published, evidently, by Eborn books. I say evidently, because upon investigation, it was discovered that, in fact, eBorn *was not* responsible for the text, which was riddled with loads of silly errors. So bad was the editing job on the book that even Midgley's last name was misspelled, as "Midley."

The Mopologists denied that any of this was their fault (naturally), but the basic point remains: Do they really care so little for their "Emperor," Dr. Midgley, that they can't be bothered to proofread a bunch of essays that are supposedly in his "honor"? At the end of the day, the incident demonstrates yet again what we already know: Mopologetics isn't about doing solid scholarship, or supporting fellow academics. It's primarily about attacking critics. And when push comes to shove, setting aside time to copyedit (if it happens at all) is more likely to happen for articles that are focused on smearing and attacking.
I noted on September 17 that Eborn had 40 copies in stock. Not much has changed in the past several months. I'm still waiting to see a hardcover version for sale.

Speaking of Interpreter books, I see that Eborn is now selling special white, black, and blue leather editions of Hugh Nibley Observed. The white leather edition is $250 while the black and blue leather editions are $225. I must confess that I don't like the choice to place "EB" on the front cover.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Tom wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:14 pm
I noted on September 17 that Eborn had 40 copies in stock. Not much has changed in the past several months. I'm still waiting to see a hardcover version for sale.
The cover says that the essays are in honor of "Louis C. Midgley." I'm not entirely certain, but the "C" stands for "Colvin," right?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Apparently someone or a group of someones made DCP his own festyschitz:
A book was delivered to our house this evening that is filled with anecdotes and generous comments from a number of my former students and some of my former colleagues. My wife tells me that she was aware that some such thing was in the works, but I was completely caught by surprise. It was an unexpected gesture, and a very kind one. I look forward to reading through the book. Who doesn’t love praise? (Even when we know the real truth.)
If anyone can get ahold of a copy there still might be time for DCP to make it a trifecta on the Top Ten list?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:51 pm
Apparently someone or a group of someones made DCP his own festyschitz:
A book was delivered to our house this evening that is filled with anecdotes and generous comments from a number of my former students and some of my former colleagues. My wife tells me that she was aware that some such thing was in the works, but I was completely caught by surprise. It was an unexpected gesture, and a very kind one. I look forward to reading through the book. Who doesn’t love praise? (Even when we know the real truth.)
If anyone can get ahold of a copy there still might be time for DCP to make it a trifecta on the Top Ten list?

- Doc
As for me and my house, I hope to find a wrapped copy of "Go to Hell": Essays in Honor of Daniel C. Peterson (Provo, UT: BYU Print & Mail/Cougar Creations, 2021) next to a wrapped copy of Witnesses: The Director's Cut under the Christmas tree in a few weeks.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:55 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:14 pm
The cover says that the essays are in honor of "Louis C. Midgley." I'm not entirely certain, but the "C" stands for "Colvin," right?
Or something like that…