My Weekly Russell: 15) A Time to Be Born. A Time to Die. A Time to Play Golf.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: My Weekly Russell: 15) A Time to Be Born. A Time to Die. A Time to Play Golf.

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I’m apparently a little obsessed with this club. Scrolling through their meeting schedule from 2019 their speakers included the following:

a cardiologist
a Kirton and McConkie lawyer
an oil executive
a singer singing - https://www.michellesundwall.com/?fbcli ... D_OFKP4XS0
a BYU music professor - he sings for them or whatever
a high school rugby coach on the “dynamics of leadership, developing winning strategies and attitudes, and championship companies and schools staffed by championship people.”
the President of the University of Utah

Also of note, their immediate past President was Wallie Rasmussen, senior counsel for Exxon Mobil.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gabriel
Deacon

Re: My Weekly Russell: 15) A Time to Be Born. A Time to Die. A Time to Play Golf.

Post by Gabriel »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm
Hrm.. Their current member roster is password protected. From past rosters, the gentlemen appear to be ascendent within their various fields of practice and expertise. For example, the current gatekeeper is:
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding the Timpanogos Club, you can contact us.

Contact Tony Middleton via email: awmiddleton@msn.com

If you have suggestions, corrections or technical difficulties regarding this website, please contact the website manager, Tom Rohlfing via email: trohlfing2780@gmail.com.

Thank you!
He’s an extremely accomplished urologist with various accolades and deep connections to the LDS church. The club is an excellent venue, it appears, for networking.

- Doc
Russell’s nephew by his sister Marjory is named Thomas Rohlfing. (However, he would be in his mid-70’s by now). Wonder if he is any relation to the club’s website manager?

Here’s a slightly Old Testament, somewhat humorous anecdote that Russell recounts of his sister’s marriage from his Chapter 6: University Life and Courtship Days, p. 42
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: After having opportunities to go elsewhere to college, such as Stanford, the University of California, and other places, I decided to stay in Salt Lake City primarily because of my desire to be close to home. I really wanted to be there because I loved home more than anyplace else.

I enrolled at the University of Utah in 1941. This year had its highs and its lows. I remember how elated I was to be elected to Phi Eta Sigma, the honorary scholastic fraternity for those who had an "A" record the first year of college. My joy was counterbalanced, however, by my feelings of loss occasioned by the wedding of my sister Marjory on November 14, 1941, to Robert F. Rohlfing. It wasn't that I didn't love him as a brother. I did, and do! It was simply that, for the first time in my life, there was to be a significant change in our close family unit. The wedding was performed in our home. An organlike attachment called a Solovox was connected to our piano. I played morose melodies in a minor key to reflect my mood. Mother finally made me quit, reminding me this was a joyous day.
Marjory was Russell’s favorite sister. He named one of his daughters after her (albeit with a different spelling). Marjory also appears to be every bit the social animal that her brother was/is.

The following is from her obituary.
It was at the U where she met her husband, Robert F. Rohlfing. They were married on November 14, 1941, with the marriage solemnized on December 10, 1941 in the Salt Lake Temple. Mom and Dad were inseparable for 52 years, until his death from cancer in 1993. They enjoyed many shared interests and groups of friends during those 52 years, and music was a big part of those associations. Dad was a well-known jazz pianist, with his own dance orchestra for many years. Mom was a very accomplished classical pianist, and was the first president of the Piano Club, an organization of talented pianists.

Mom and Dad were avid golfing pals. They joined the Oakridge Country Club in 1957, where she was president of the Oakridge Ladies Association. They later joined the Salt Lake Country Club, where they enjoyed so many activities and friendships together. She also was a longtime member of the Town Club, and loved luncheons, socializing and playing bridge with wonderful friends there, as well as at the Country Club.
No mention of the Timpanogos Club.

Unlike Russell and her sister-in-law, however, Dantzel appears to have eschewed that lifestyle.

From his chapter Dantzel and the White Family, p. 59-60
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: She loved her service later as a member of the Tabernacle Choir. After we had our home in Midway we would go up on weekends, and on occasion, I was able to stay there for Sunday School and priesthood meeting. I would be asked where Sister Nelson was, and I said, "She's in the Tabernacle Choir." Sometimes I would add, "I come first in her life, right after the Tabernacle Choir." While she wouldn't agree with that statement, she did jealously guard her time so that she would be able to fulfill that duty. Rather than spend a lot of time in clubs and social organizations, she made the effort to be at home with her children, where she deemed her greatest responsibility to be. An appreciation of that fact struck me one day when I gave Dantzel a Saturday afternoon's relief away from home. When one of the children came home, she flew right past me and said, "Where's mom?" as though I didn't even exist. But what a wonderful feeling for them when mom would answer.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 am
I’m apparently a little obsessed with this club. Scrolling through their meeting schedule from 2019 their speakers included the following:

a cardiologist
a Kirton and McConkie lawyer
an oil executive
a singer singing - https://www.michellesundwall.com/?fbcli ... D_OFKP4XS0
a BYU music professor - he sings for them or whatever
a high school rugby coach on the “dynamics of leadership, developing winning strategies and attitudes, and championship companies and schools staffed by championship people.”
the President of the University of Utah

Also of note, their immediate past President was Wallie Rasmussen, senior counsel for Exxon Mobil.

- Doc
Let me guess, all white males?
aleph
Nursery

Post by aleph »

If you look into Russell's involvement in Skull and Bones, you will also see that one of his fellow Skai B's was Richard Warner (as confirmed by the 1946 Utonion, when they are second year Bonesmen, i.e., Owl and Key members), the very same Richard Warner whom Russell would later call as his second counselor in the Sunday School general presidency. (Or should I say "second assistant" and "superintendency"?)

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=751840