Vindicated Yet Again: DCP Admits that Sorensen was “Set Apart” as a Mopologist

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Vindicated Yet Again: DCP Admits that Sorensen was “Set Apart” as a Mopologist

Post by Kishkumen »

Morley wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:35 pm
My goodness, Tom, I'd like to think that those were the exact words.
Sweet fancy Moses, yes!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Re: Vindicated Yet Again: DCP Admits that Sorensen was “Set Apart” as a Mopologist

Post by Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:36 pm
I would ABSOLUTELY ***LOVE*** to do a video on this information from Scratch as well! Lets put this out to the world shall we Scratch? I agree with the entire tenor of this thread here, you have been doing this service now for YEARS without outside recognition of this magnificent message board. I have truly thousands who would watch the video once I cobble something together! Can you hopefully put together several items such as the 2nd Watson Letter (HOWLING LAUGHTER!) and stuff like that in a list for me that you have done through the years? I would very gladly produce a video!!! This would go over HUGE, I can't help but think.
Please, please do this, Philo! That would rock!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:52 am

Sweet fancy Moses
You have all the best words. I can never quite get there.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:50 pm
What I have in mind comes from a 2009 thread that you can read here:

https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 0#p1731040

Here’s Dr. Peterson’s dismissive comment:
Over on his home board, my Malevolent Stalker has launched a thread suggesting that certain folks like myself have been "set apart" to our callings as "apologists" for Mormonism, thus directly linking the Brethren to our unspeakable crimes against humanity. A few nitpickers have pointed out that, as usual, his suggestion lacks any real supporting evidence. On the whole, though, they've been ignored. The only question still remaining, therefore, involves the nature of our "setting apart." Was it done secretly? Was our "calling and election made sure" at the same moment? Have we, as seems likely from our sordid lives, been granted a free pass for unethical behavior?

[snip]

Apparently, the speculators over at my Malevolent Stalker's board don't intend ever to ask me -- they know that I'd only lie to them anyway, because that's just the kind of person I am (and, anyway, haven't I been granted a free pass for unethical behavior?) -- so I think I'll volunteer the relevant information, just in case there's somebody here who is aware of that discussion but too shy to inquire:

I've never been ordained, set apart, nor even blessed by anybody, whether a General Authority or a local leader or a friend or a family member -- to be a professor at BYU or an officer with FARMS or the Maxwell Institute or an "apologist." Period. And I've never heard of anybody who has been.
Apparently Dr. Peterson HAD heard of somebody who has been.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kerry, maybe you can add up the total expenditures on the Ghost Committee so that donors can appreciate the amount and see it to be money well spent in edifying the Church.

Not like all that archeology without a single sherd of Nephite pottery to show for it. The Ghost Committee is something tangible based on all the ale tankard remnants found in that pub basement. We're not talking about a bunch of dogs sitting around a table playing poker. This is the Ghost Committee damn it! Take Dr. Scratch's information to the top in your podcast.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

DCP in response to Chewbarker:
What kind of person are you? Have you really been stalking me for a quarter of a century, compiling lists of comments that I've made that you might someday be able to exploit against me? That is seriously, seriously weird.
You know. His victimology could be a bit more digestible had had he taken a similar approach toward Louis “dossier” Midgley. I mean the day the cojclds come out with very clear instructions to knock his crap off he picks fights with people in order to try to make himself look like an aggrieved victim. How hard is it to just repent, openly acknowledge your sins, and then fall in line with the church you proclaim to follow?

Apparently it’s an impossible ask of him to actually be a disciple of Christ.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:44 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:

I would ABSOLUTELY ***LOVE*** to do a video on this information from Scratch as well! Lets put this out to the world shall we Scratch? I agree with the entire tenor of this thread here, you have been doing this service now for YEARS without outside recognition of this magnificent message board. I have truly thousands who would watch the video once I cobble something together! Can you hopefully put together several items such as the 2nd Watson Letter (HOWLING LAUGHTER!) and stuff like that in a list for me that you have done through the years? I would very gladly produce a video!!! This would go over HUGE, I can't help but think.
Philo:

I did a thread a couple of years ago summarizing what I thought were the most significant events in Mopologetics over the past decade or so:

https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 4&t=152819

Maybe that fits the bill?
It will! Thank you Dr. Scratch! I will give it a look!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:30 pm
It’s odd seeing Peterson put “calling and election made sure” in quotes, as if he is implying the second anointing either never existed or is no longer in use.

It’s also very mocking in tone to refer to the most sacred of all LDS ordinances.
Notice too how he does the famous Apologetics shuffle! We have it now that John Sorenson actually WAS set apart for the apologetic thingy, so now Peterson say well ***MYSELF*** has never been, so therefor no one else has, and thus just after he shared that, in very point of fact, John Sorenson HAD been officially set apart by his Melchizedek Priesthood totin superior! :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh glorious doublespeak, shake not thy gory locks at me!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:53 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Please, please do this, Philo! That would rock!
Weekend is on the way, an the Backyard Perfesser is on the war path! :D
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Sorenson was wrong. The Mathenys were correct; too bad they published their criticism in Metcalf's book. Sorenson's rejoinder in FARMS was, in my view, an embarrassment.

Sorenson was better known in his professional capacity for his writings and encyclopedic publications on diffusionism. There is where his professional contribution lies. A brilliant man, and he did understand the text of the Book of Mormon better than anybody else. I give him a lot of credit for his profound faith in the Book of Mormon.

Again, my unpublished criticism of Sorenson's Book of Mormon work is here: https://bobcrockettlaw.com/wp-content/u ... graphy.pdf.