Vindicated Yet Again: DCP Admits that Sorensen was “Set Apart” as a Mopologist

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Vindicated Yet Again: DCP Admits that Sorensen was “Set Apart” as a Mopologist

Post by Doctor Scratch »

A stunning development has just appeared on “SeN.” In the wake of legendary LGT Mopologist John Sorensen’s death, Dr. Peterson has posted a rather lengthy blog entry extolling Sorensen’s importance as a pioneer in the field of Mesoamerican Book of Mormon apologetics. In the midst of this, though, DCP relates one of the most remarkable stories I’ve ever heard concerning Mopologetics:
A story that I heard about him many years ago—I can’t remember who told it to me; perhaps it was even John himself—had it that his then bishop was pressing him and his wife to send in their missionary papers. But John felt that he was already on a mission, that he had a specific calling to fulfill and that it was urgently important. He didn’t believe that he should set his work on the Book of Mormon aside, something that very few could do, in order to serve a conventional mission. So he had declined. Repeatedly. But the bishop persisted. One day, John mentioned the situation to BYU’s president at the time, Merrill J. Bateman. President Bateman, who was not only the leader of BYU but a General Authority of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, listened to him and then responded by setting him apart to continue the work that he was doing, telling him to inform his bishop that he was already serving a mission and could not be spared.
Wow. There you have it—in one fell swoop, over a decade’s worth of our speculation has been proven 100% TRUE. Dean Robbers and I wondered years ago if Mopologists were “set apart” by the Brethren, and we were mocked endlessly by Dr. Peterson, Scott Gordon, and others, and yet here is Dr. Peterson *himself* openly admitting that Sorensen was set apart by President Bateman! (And Bateman apparently did this at Sorensen’s request!)

Well, just like the old lie that Mopologists don’t get paid, we can now lay to rest the old baloney claim that LDS apologists “aren’t set apart.” Being vindicated in this way is one of the greatest gifts that a Mopologetics scholar could ask for. Merry Christmas!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Vindicated Yet Again: DCP Admits that Sorensen was “Set Apart” as a Mopologist

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Looks like Mr. Pastichesterson really, really, really wanted the treble on your Top Ten List! Whoever says he doesn’t obsessively follow this board is a purveyor of lies!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Shulem knows and bears testimony!

Post by Shulem »

The dummy apologist (what's his name?) wasted his life and breath chasing rainbows and fantasies all in the name of Book of Moroni angel dust -- have a blow for the nose.

The real scoop on the Book of Mormon was right in Joseph Smith's backyard and I hammered that in this thread:

Shulem Cracked the Book of Mormon Code, the Land of Nephi is now revealed! See for yourself! The Golden Key!

How did I come to figure this all out? Hey, Joseph Smith was doing his thingy. Go figure. Me and Joe are buds!

;)

Hi Dan! It's me again!

:lol:
hauslern
Bishop

Re: Vindicated Yet Again: DCP Admits that Sorensen was “Set Apart” as a Mopologist

Post by hauslern »

At least the Mathenys were honest about the evidence. In response to my inqury about Matheny's article in New Approaches to the Book of Mormon h Dan cited this.

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/msr/vol6/iss1/11/
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

You're too humble, doctor, I believe this speculation was primarily yours, and that only you saw the full vision of the brethren-fortified Mopologist. And given the persecution you took for your beliefs, your ultimate victory is all the more satisfying.

What's strange though is, why the need to deny it? Hasn't this been a key problem the entire time, that they are just independent students with the same status as everyone else? While Meldrum has been dragging GAs around with him on his speaking tours, the Mopologists have been left appealing to a single talk by Neal A. Maxwell from a long time ago to assert their standing. Why didn't they just pull rank via the callings they'd been given?

Sorenson contributed little other than theories about the LGT. The fact that Bateman set him apart to continue working on the LGT, that clinches the deal, and proves that the LGT is the official doctrine of Book of Mormon geography. Why hasn't this been thrown at Johnathan Neville?

I can definitely understand why they'd laugh it off as silly if they hadn't been set apart; you know, sour grapes. But knowing they'd been given the power to make up whatever they want and it is ratified as doctrine before the fact, why not use the advantage?

Is it as simple as they just didn't think about it, and now the tide will turn? We're they told not to talk about it? Can it only be spoken of after passing beyond the veil?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I think that they were instructed at some point—possibly by Elder Maxwell himself—to not do anything that would reflect badly on the Brethren, and so that’s where all the denial stems from.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:44 am
A stunning development has just appeared on “SeN.” In the wake of legendary LGT Mopologist John Sorensen’s death, Dr. Peterson has posted a rather lengthy blog entry extolling Sorensen’s importance as a pioneer in the field of Mesoamerican Book of Mormon apologetics. In the midst of this, though, DCP relates one of the most remarkable stories I’ve ever heard concerning Mopologetics:
A story that I heard about him many years ago—I can’t remember who told it to me; perhaps it was even John himself—had it that his then bishop was pressing him and his wife to send in their missionary papers. But John felt that he was already on a mission, that he had a specific calling to fulfill and that it was urgently important. He didn’t believe that he should set his work on the Book of Mormon aside, something that very few could do, in order to serve a conventional mission. So he had declined. Repeatedly. But the bishop persisted. One day, John mentioned the situation to BYU’s president at the time, Merrill J. Bateman. President Bateman, who was not only the leader of BYU but a General Authority of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, listened to him and then responded by setting him apart to continue the work that he was doing, telling him to inform his bishop that he was already serving a mission and could not be spared.
Wow. There you have it—in one fell swoop, over a decade’s worth of our speculation has been proven 100% TRUE. Dean Robbers and I wondered years ago if Mopologists were “set apart” by the Brethren, and we were mocked endlessly by Dr. Peterson, Scott Gordon, and others, and yet here is Dr. Peterson *himself* openly admitting that Sorensen was set apart by President Bateman! (And Bateman apparently did this at Sorensen’s request!)

Well, just like the old lie that Mopologists don’t get paid, we can now lay to rest the old baloney claim that LDS apologists “aren’t set apart.” Being vindicated in this way is one of the greatest gifts that a Mopologetics scholar could ask for. Merry Christmas!
WOW! Just after you finish the top ten, you get two more tops in quick succession! Perhaps, in honor of the number symbolism of the brethren you need to start doing a top twelve each year... This is, to say the very least, absolutely astonishing. But ya know. Mormons will Mo....or rather Churchers will church, that steals the victory from Satan...
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:13 am
But knowing they'd been given the power to make up whatever they want and it is ratified as doctrine before the fact, why not use the advantage?
The crew at the Interpreter were able to use the keys to this calling in declaring the Joseph Smith Papers Project to be the harmful product of anti-Mormons.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:15 am
I think that they were instructed at some point—possibly by Elder Maxwell himself—to not do anything that would reflect badly on the Brethren, and so that’s where all the denial stems from.
Well since their debacle they certainly have thrown that hope under the bus.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:50 am
Looks like Mr. Pastichesterson really, really, really wanted the treble on your Top Ten List! Whoever says he doesn’t obsessively follow this board is a purveyor of lies!

- Doc
:lol: It's the only legitimate, well earned fame he gets anymore.