The blind ghost

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rad
Sunbeam

Re: The blind ghost

Post by Rad »

dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:26 pm
Rad wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:38 am

I love Calvin and Hobbes! In my science fantasy there will come a time when humans will be able to continually renew their cells through some as yet unknown mechanism, possibly with DNA modification and targeting degenerative and maligmant cells with immunotherapy. This process could combine with benevolent A.I. (assuming benevolent A.I. is possible) to allow us to colonize the universe over the course of billions of years in self-replicating machines/computers/space-ships, ultimately finding a way to thrive in whatever environment the future heat death of the universe has to offer. I'm presuming in the end this will all likely be indoors. Though on the time-scale of billions of years "indoors" could be a paradise.
:lol: That is next level funny there dude. Thanks!
Just imagine Calvin earnestly explaining these things to Hobbes, careening down a rocky hillside strewn with broken tree limbs, while clinging for dear life to a skateboard. :lol:
Rad
Sunbeam

Post by Rad »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:51 pm
dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:33 am
Anyone up for a little science fiction? Or, as some would probably say, science fantasy.

Physicalism posits that particles rule. Particles and forces are all that really matter and the phenomenon of consciousness is just a result of the mindless interaction of particles. All quite maybe true, but - if particles are eternal, and how could they not be? I mean, I understand that particles have been shown to pop into existence in a vacuum, (maybe they are just coming from somewhere currently un-measurable). Anyway, it is just so hard to grasp the concept that particles/existence popped into existence from non-existence. (This doesn't mean I'm saying God did it)
The way I make it work is fairly simple, conceptually. If reality existed in a higher state, a more ordered state, like, say, the fourth dimension everything that existed was already there. If that extra-dimensional state suffered a vacuum decay and collapsed into a third dimensional state, from our perspective we’d be seeing a huge explosion and particles popping into existence from nowhere. This collapsing 4th dimensional ‘floodwater’ of energy and matter would most likely account for why the universe is expanding and increasing in size, not to mention accounting for the ‘dark energy’ that scientists know exists but can’t find. The size of our universe is much larger than what the size of a fourth dimensional universe would look like, and the ledgers will still balance out once the collapse of the fourth dimension is complete - it just hasn’t finished flooding into the third dimension, yet.

- Doc
Interesting idea. Wouldn't that mean that there is more energy in the collapsing 4th dimension than in the other 3 dimensions combined, given that the vast majority of "stuff" in the universe is "dark energy."

One thing I have never considered before is the possibility that a dimension could be converted into energy. If you consider time a dimension could an e=mc^2 equivalent be written with some formulation of time "t" inserted in place of mass?
Rad
Sunbeam

Post by Rad »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:33 am
Anyone up for a little science fiction? Or, as some would probably say, science fantasy.

Physicalism posits that particles rule. Particles and forces are all that really matter and the phenomenon of consciousness is just a result of the mindless interaction of particles. All quite maybe true, but - if particles are eternal, and how could they not be? I mean, I understand that particles have been shown to pop into existence in a vacuum, (maybe they are just coming from somewhere currently un-measurable). Anyway, it is just so hard to grasp the concept that particles/existence popped into existence from non-existence. (This doesn't mean I'm saying God did it)
The way I make it work is fairly simple, conceptually. If reality existed in a higher state, a more ordered state, like, say, the fourth dimension everything that existed was already there. If that extra-dimensional state suffered a vacuum decay and collapsed into a third dimensional state, from our perspective we’d be seeing a huge explosion and particles popping into existence from nowhere. This collapsing 4th dimensional ‘floodwater’ of energy and matter would most likely account for why the universe is expanding and increasing in size, not to mention accounting for the ‘dark energy’ that scientists know exists but can’t find. The size of our universe is much larger than what the size of a fourth dimensional universe would look like, and the ledgers will still balance out once the collapse of the fourth dimension is complete - it just hasn’t finished flooding into the third dimension, yet.

- Doc
Interesting idea. Wouldn't that mean that there is more energy in the collapsing 4th dimension than in the other 3 dimensions combined, given that the vast majority of "stuff" in the universe is "dark energy."

One thing I have never considered before is the possibility that a dimension could be converted into energy. If you consider time a dimension could an e=mc^2 equivalent be written with some formulation of time "t" inserted in place of mass?
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

The way I make it work is fairly simple, conceptually.
That's easy for you to say. See, my quantum physics is a little rusty. And what there is of it came a few decades ago during my new age phase From books like; The holographic universe and The dancing wu li masters. (I can hear Rad's fingers chomping at the bit)

Anyway, at least your model has it's particles coming from somewhere. A few years ago I had a thread on the old board discussing with mostly Drw and Gadianton the topic of - why is there something, rather than nothing. My position being the same as it is now; the one and only thing science seems to be lacking in is it's ability to write an equation for how existence came to be... before the big bang. How can something come from nothing? Drw explaining that there is a quantum field that particles spring from, and this field in essence qualifies as nothing.

I'd love to hear some more thoughts on the matter. Cam, Rad, Drumdude, Gad, Drw, Physics Guy, Bill Watterson? and anybody else that want's to opine.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

dantana wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:29 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

The way I make it work is fairly simple, conceptually.
That's easy for you to say. See, my quantum physics is a little rusty. And what there is of it came a few decades ago during my new age phase From books like; The holographic universe and The dancing wu li masters. (I can hear Rad's fingers chomping at the bit)

Anyway, at least your model has it's particles coming from somewhere. A few years ago I had a thread on the old board discussing with mostly Drw and Gadianton the topic of - why is there something, rather than nothing. My position being the same as it is now; the one and only thing science seems to be lacking in is it's ability to write an equation for how existence came to be... before the big bang. How can something come from nothing? Drw explaining that there is a quantum field that particles spring from, and this field in essence qualifies as nothing.

I'd love to hear some more thoughts on the matter. Cam, Rad, Drumdude, Gad, Drw, Physics Guy, Bill Watterson? and anybody else that want's to opine.
Well. The best analogy I could make is to think of the 4th dimension as a reservoir. It's a nice and tidy lake a mile wide, 5 miles long, a 1,000 feet deep, at 5,000 feet of elevation. It's all contained in its own spot.

Until the dam breaks (vacuum decay).

Then it's an inevitable event where it goes from a higher order to a lower one where it spreads out over a larger area. Now it's flooded a plain 10 miles wide, 20 miles long, a few inches deep, at 3,000 feet of elevation. This would be the 3rd dimension as equilibrium is achieved, ie, no more water to rush down to a lower, flatter plain of existence (the universe is actually pretty flat which is hard to conceptualize).

What's happening right now, in my woo-way of thinking about the matter, is the flood of water is still happening because the universe is still expanding, and a lot of the matter or energy or whatever that's unaccounted for is unaccounted because it hasn't all rushed into the universe, yet. This is the 'dark energy' which is just a placeholder name for the unnamed or unaccounted for forces causing the universe to speed up and expand.

The matter we see could be analogous to the dirt, debris, garbage, fish, and whatever rushing into the plain. It's the measurable stuff. The water is probably the dark energy, the medium through which all this stuff exists. I don't think we can see or measure the 'water' right now simply because we haven't achieved that level of technological capability, yet.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:51 am

Well. The best analogy I could make is to think of the 4th dimension as a reservoir. It's a nice and tidy lake a mile wide, 5 miles long, a 1,000 feet deep, at 5,000 feet of elevation. It's all contained in its own spot.

Then it's an inevitable event where it goes from a higher order to a lower one where it spreads out over a larger area. Now it's flooded a plain 10 miles wide, 20 miles long, a few inches deep, at 3,000 feet of elevation. This would be the 3rd dimension as equilibrium is achieved, ie, no more water to rush down to a lower, flatter plain of existence (the universe is actually pretty flat which is hard to conceptualize).

What's happening right now, in my woo-way of thinking about the matter, is the flood of water is still happening because the universe is still expanding, and a lot of the matter or energy or whatever that's unaccounted for is unaccounted because it hasn't all rushed into the universe, yet. This is the 'dark energy' which is just a placeholder name for the unnamed or unaccounted for forces causing the universe to speed up and expand.

The matter we see could be analogous to the dirt, debris, garbage, fish, and whatever rushing into the plain. It's the measurable stuff. The water is probably the dark energy, the medium through which all this stuff exists. I don't think we can see or measure the 'water' right now simply because we haven't achieved that level of technological capability, yet.

- Doc
Where the lake came from seems to have become less important just now Doc, as I'm busy admiring your analogy. Thanks!
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

dantana wrote: why is there something, rather than nothing
The last I'd ever thought about this, one of the many things I'm never going to get an answer to in this life, is that the most basic way to think about the question is in terms of propositional logic. The most simple thing in propositional logic is the empty set. Therefore, why wouldn't there just be an empty set?

The objection to that is that reality isn't math. Just because an empty set is the simplest thing in logic, doesn't mean it's the simplest thing in reality.

The objection to that is that if you assume "reality" you've assumed something already.

We might not even be able to say what "nothing" is. If there is no "nothing" in "reality" that we can correlate to the empty set in logic in a satisfying way, then the question is invalid. Anytime we try to think about "nothing" in physics, we're brought back to forces, potentials, vacuum; and stuff that isn't nothing.

An objection to that might be that logic must come first, even in physics. For example, the law of non-contradiction is prior to physical laws; a brute example being the grandfather paradox and time travel.

If logic comes first, then the natural question is if "something" is necessary. I've seen some lame discussions of this on Lex -- brilliant science people who need to take Phil 101. This one guy was insisting that this mathematical structure he believed was behind reality was logically necessary. But why? That's the interesting question. He just stipulated that it was.

Peter Woit on Lex, who didn't tackle this straightforwardly (from what I remember), but seemed to be saying, if I understood him, that there is a deep connection between number theory and physics that he's exploring. So maybe you could show line by line how stuff necessarily exists given logic after all? (that's not what he was saying, but what I was thinking as the deepest implication of that)

Another possibility (again) is logic isn't really prior, and physics is prior. Many years ago I saw this physicist argue for allowing contradictions, but I was never able to find the source years later, when I came to think that it was an important line of thinking. Most people are going to say that's silly because non-contradiction has to be prior, because we can't form concepts without it -- it's self-refuting.

Well, that may be the case, but, that seems to be the grain of late modern philosophizing. Heidegger suggesting the "Ontic", what is beyond human experience, that human's can never describe -- language necessarily fails; an implication might be that the law of non-contradiction is at the heart of human language, and it necessarily fails to pin down what's out there. My main point, again, is that if logic isn't prior, then the idea of a mathematical empty set being the simplest model for how reality should be fails; as it isn't an analogy.

Logic as prior and building from from there into full reality might fail because Godel.

Another problem with logic as prior is just read the deepest thinkers on the subject and see if you can really accept that crap either. One of the deepest thinkers in this regard was David Lewis, who argued for this way out there position called modal realism, which says that all logically possible worlds are equally real to this one (as in, a world where pink dinosaurs suddenly appear and eat everything is just as real as this one). He'll try to convince by showing if you don't want to accept that, you might have to accept the ontological argument (for God).

Objection to rejecting logic and metaphysics is that science guys (atheists) who eschew it as nonsense are doing metaphysics anyway (as I've said), just doing it really badly, and run into the same problems everyone else already knew about. So I don't mean to say we can escape logic and have some mystical way around the problem. (cue DCP)

Anyway, to me, the deeper question is whether logic, the law of non-contradiction, is this objective thing that everything out there in eternity bows down to, or if it's a human construct, and the physical world is prior. As I've said, we can't talk about a physical world without logic. I can't stipulate a contradiction or seriously entertain what I'm suggestion in language, because its self-refuting. My only hope would be the MG 2.0 route, and go for a stalemate. If stipulating the law of non-contradiction is viciously circular, requiring non-contradiction as an assumption, then we might have a situation analogous to this: If you say "this sentence is false", then that results in a paradox, and that's like saying we can allow a contradiction. But saying "this sentence is true" is pretty meaningless. In either case, you're running into pitfalls of logic investigating logic. And if it's meaningless to affirm logic as base with logic, then I feel like I can suggest physics as prior to logic, practically speaking.
Last edited by Gadianton on Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rad
Sunbeam

Post by Rad »

dantana wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:26 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:51 am

- Doc
Where the lake came from seems to have become less important just now Doc, as I'm busy admiring your analogy. Thanks!
I'm totally out of my depth. I've read a lot about quantum theory on the level of a layperson who did their undergrad work in Chemistry, so I had a little quantum theory in P-Chem. I'm absolutely fascinated by the idea that there is more matter that we can't detect in the universe than matter that we can detect, and if you converted all of the matter, both conventional baryonic and dark, to energy, it still would not be equal to the dark energy that is causing the universe to expand. I like Doc's idea that somehow there is an adjacent high energy space with so much energy that it leaks through what ever barrier there is between it and our universe. It makes me think of osmosis, like maybe there could be a membrane between a parallel universe and ours that allows energy to diffuse across at the rate we observe.

I'm relatively new to this board so I don't really have much background of the other contributors. What is your background Doc and would you recommend any resources?

I'm resigned to the idea that I'm not going to be the one to figure it out, but I will definitely be on the look out for the best information I can get. You guys are probably way ahead of me but if there are any lurkers out there who are interested, I think these two videos are pretty entertaining and at least give an idea of the basics without any requirement of understanding the underlying math.

https://youtu.be/QAa2O_8wBUQ
https://youtu.be/XCwWxrx1SIU

The fact that there isn't a dogma around this is what makes it so much more interesting than studying religion. We are just searching for truth and if new information comes along we can change our minds. We can just follow the evidence wherever it leads.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Rad,

I’m just a midwit trying to make sense of it all. I had an ‘epiphany’ one day when I was having a morning smoke. There are some really bright academics on this board that could do a far better job of hashing out the science and philosophy behind these topics than I could, :)

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Particles do appear and disappear all the time. There is a law of energy conservation, but not of mass conservation.

There is almost a law of mass conservation, though. Particles with mass are only rarely created or destroyed, for kind of the same reason that superyachts are only rarely bought or sold. A superyacht costs somewhere around a hundred million bucks. In principle a rich country's schoolchildren could be flipping superyachts every day if they pooled all their allowances. And in fact many billions of dollars change hands every day around the world to buy and sell smaller items. It's still very rare for any single transaction to come anywhere close to the budgetary league of a superyacht, so superyachts very rarely change hands. In the same way the rest energy mc^2 of even an electron represents around a million times as much energy as is involved, per particle, in even a violent chemical reaction. In the energy economy particles are such big-ticket items that they are not very liquid.

The exceptions are particles that don't have mass, like photons. A single photon can carry plenty of energy, but only if it has high frequency. If an electron and a positron annihilate each other, for example, over a million electron-volts will get carried away by just two gamma-ray photons. But low-frequency photons are the ultimate entry-level product, energetically speaking. At your body temperature you are radiating about 1000 watts of thermal radiation, mostly at around a kilohertz frequency (infra-red). At those frequencies a single photon only has a few 10^{-20} joules of energy, so you personally are creating over 10^23 photons every second.

Your skin is also destroying about 90% as many photons every second by absorbing them from your surroundings. Each one of those photons could potentially have made it out to interstellar space and travelled billions of light years, but here we are killing them by the bazillion every second without even thinking. Oh well.

So okay, the laws of nature allow particles to appear and disappear; it's rare for massive particles and common for massless ones. How can it actually happen, though? That's a whole other question.
Last edited by Physics Guy on Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I was a teenager before it was cool.