Gee: "Critics really don't get into the content of the Book of Abraham"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Gee: "Critics really don't get into the content of the Book of Abraham"

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:43 am
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:54 pm

For his whole life, Gee has been making an argument remarkably similar to claiming that the events in "Lord of the Rings" actually happened. It must be frustrating to him that non-LDS scholars feel pity on him and don't shred his delusions to ribbons. He seems emotionally injured that non-Mormon scholars don't wish to join him in spending years conjuring up imaginary parallels and hidden parallels from a text that is obviously fraudulent.
What a tragic waist of a professional career. I can't imagine what it would be like to look back on 20 to 30 years and know that your work is based on a con man's fantasies and that none of your collogues respect you.
Well he has written 150 articles so he at least gets a booby prize.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:43 am
What a tragic waist
Well, Gee has certainly rounded out a little as the years have passed - don't we all? But let's not make a drama out of it ...

However, I do agree that it would be a good thing for him to belt up.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

🤣
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:07 am
Alphus and Omegus
I am glad that Gee at least admitted that Book of Abraham is central to Mormonism, as it's presently constituted.
MG 2.0 is going to be very upset, and very disturbed since he doesn't think Joseph Smith ever believed it was scripture, nor important.
I think Joseph Smith did consider the Book of Abraham to be scriptural in a similar vein to the translational/inspired work he did with the Bible. I also think that Joseph believed many of the teachings and doctrines taught in the Book of Abraham to be important. Premortal existence being possibly the most preeminent.

Two balls, no strikes.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:46 pm
I think Joseph Smith did consider the Book of Abraham to be scriptural in a similar vein to the translational/inspired work he did with the Bible. I also think that Joseph believed many of the teachings and doctrines taught in the Book of Abraham to be important. Premortal existence being possibly the most preeminent.

Two balls, no strikes.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,
MG

Joseph Smith thought he could provide a doable story of *HOW* and *WHEN* Egypt was founded and his story in chapter one about Egyptus being the founder after the floods subsided leaves no time for the building of the great pyramids and the great predynastic Egyptian epic that predates biblical dating and chronology in which Smith embraced. Smith borrowed dating from the Bible and incorporated it into his story of when Egypt was founded. All that is absolute proof that Smith was simply telling stories and making it all up.

The Facsimiles and the translation issues are a minor quibble compared to Smith's dating and explanation on how and when Egypt was founded. Mormon apologetics is in real trouble because I'm going to take these matters up in the Celestial Forum and tell the world how Smith's story of how Egypt came to be is an absolute farce.

So, what do that you think of that? Philo, where the hell are you?

Merry Christmas to you too, MG
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Shulem have u seen this paper by Gee
https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ontext=msr
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

hauslern wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:21 am
Shulem have u seen this paper by Gee
https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ontext=msr

Yep.

I have a fantastic thread up in the Celestial Forum (YOU NEED TO READ IT) about the King's name in Facsimile No. 3 and this particular article by Gee is taken into consideration:

Trick Questions from John Gee
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I love spotting the apologist shell game. It’s the only thing they know how to do. Category errors, non sequiturs, straight up lies - anything to smokescreen their way out.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Tamas Mekis is busy dealing with the bequest of Edith Varga who recently passed away.
I noticed she is listed in Gee's paper.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

hauslern wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:03 am
Tamas Mekis is busy dealing with the bequest of Edith Varga who recently passed away.
I noticed she is listed in Gee's paper.
I missed this! Has Mekis inherited all her hypocephali? That would be cool! We need more good write up on those from a real point of view concerning the actual Egyptian religion.