Where did the Mormon God have sex with Mary?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Where did the Mormon God have sex with Mary?

Post by Chap »

Symmachus wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 pm

Well, the Early Modern English text presents some problems, but it is quite clear that there was not intended to be internal ejaculation:
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
Upon, not in. So, there was, it seems, at most a kind of coitus interruptus (surely, not some second thoughts?). The most we can say is that, however miraculous it may have been, certainly the conception was maculate.
Symmachus, who is a polished classicist, is surely "avin' a bit of a larf wiv us", as we say in the old country ...

The Greek translated in KJV as "The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee" is:

πνευμα αγιον επελευσεται επι σε

The verbal root of that word επελευσεται is ερχομαι 'approach, come towards', no?. That word in Greek has, and I speak under correction, no sense at all related to 'come' in the English sense of 'ejaculate'.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:42 pm
I don't imagine I can force him to keep my name out of his filthy mouth, but I can at least ask that nobody believe his B.S.. You don't have to take my word for it. You can check my post history.
Hey calm down. I think you made a good point when you said, "How do you say no to the Prophet of God??". You're welcome!

I was telling Chap that Mary didn't consent to get pregnant and I simply quoted you to reply to Chap.
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:49 pm
Oh, tHanks for the heads up, I was not aware there was a controversy...
There is no controversy here. My point is that young Mary didn't consent.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:47 pm
You OK with that now?
Don't you strongly support the MeToo# movement? What happened?

Can a woman consent when there is a power imbalance?

An angel tells Mary "31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus."
He doesn't ask for her permission.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Chap wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:08 pm
Symmachus wrote:

Well, the Early Modern English text presents some problems, but it is quite clear that there was not intended to be internal ejaculation:

Upon, not in. So, there was, it seems, at most a kind of coitus interruptus (surely, not some second thoughts?). The most we can say is that, however miraculous it may have been, certainly the conception was maculate.
Symmachus, who is a polished classicist, is surely "avin' a bit of a larf wiv us", as we say in the old country ...

The Greek translated in KJV as "The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee" is:

πνευμα αγιον επελευσεται επι σε

The verbal root of that word επελευσεται is ερχομαι 'approach, come towards', no?. That word in Greek has, and I speak under correction, no sense at all related to 'come' in the English sense of 'ejaculate'.
I think "party pooper" is the correct term for someone who spikes an obvious joke. lol. The crowd wants the English sense of the word. The absurdity of the concept of a god coming down and then coming upon a 14 year old just so he can gain the power to forgive his creations? This nonsense needs a little levity to lessen the myth as interpreted by Mormons.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Symmachus wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:15 pm

If the Mopologists want to clarify what they meant, I'm all ears. BY's exact language, as I recall, was that God "came down in his bodily tabernacle and begat Jesus." I.e., HF came down in his physical form and did *some*thing to impregnate Mary. I think that most normal people would interpret this as them having actual sex, which on its face is incredibly creepy. I think that the Mopologists at least realize this creepiness and have tried to mitigate it via this ridiculous "artificial insemination" idea. Seriously, how would it work? Would HF just sort of "teleport" his seed into Mary? Is this akin to Larry Niven's famous thesis concerning Superman and Lois Lane, in the troublingly titled essay, "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"?

At the end of the day, I think that the Mopologetic explanation winds up being way more absurd than Brigham Young's initial speculation, but I guess your mileage may vary.
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
Was writing this post on your Bingo card? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.