Where did the Mormon God have sex with Mary?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: Where did the Mormon God have sex with 14 year old Mary?

Post by Morley »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:23 pm
This is literally a discussion about an event that never happened.

To be honest, a much more reprehensive act is Smith's diddling Fanny, at least we know that really happened.

If God really did cause Mary to be pregnant, the ole fashioned way or otherwise, we are all screwed anyways. I mean who really wants to worship a God that has that as part of his plan for us?
This is where I am.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

One thing I suppose nobody has asked is where was Heavenly Mother while Heavenly Father was impregnating his daughter? Was Heavenly Mother there watching, rooting him on, perhaps? And what kind of mother lets her husband impregnate her daughter? And where was the Holy Ghost who has no body of flesh and boner? Was he there watching too?

What a sick religion. Mormons. God, spare me. I'm so glad I got out of that crap. And that 10% has really added up!
Shulem
God

Creepy Father in Heaven calls for Mary

Post by Shulem »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:29 pm
It had to have happened somewhere

:o

Mary, come to Papa! I have something for you!

I know, I know, what a horrible post. But it *IS* Mormonism.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Well, either god couldn't just do the impregnation with magic, or he didn't want to. If the former, then at least he chose the most humane way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6fYyxs_lDE
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Shulem
God

Licked cupcake and ABC gum

Post by Shulem »

Really, when you think about, the whole story is one sick joke.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:51 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:43 pm

God impregnated Mary. How is that not disturbing?

Statistically it is way more likely for teenage pregnancy to cause trauma than the actual act itself. So statistically teenage pregnancy does significantly more harm.

What Are the Effects of Teenage Pregnancy
https://www.healthline.com/health/pregn ... cy-effects
Well now you’re into a discussion of why God had to create Jesus in the first place, throw all sins on Jesus, and torture Jesus to the maximum humanly possible, in order to satisfy the law that God himself either created or organized.

As Dan put in his blog today:
God himself, the supreme power in the universe, pronounces it his work and his glory neither to create stars nor to shepherd the planets nor to supervise stellar nucleosynthesis nor to sculpt grand canyons, but to bring about the immortality and eternal life of his children.
God can create stars, shepherd planets, supervise stellar nucleosynthesis, but he cannot save mankind without raping Mary, forcing her to bear a child in the dirt, and torturing and murdering her child.

It’s happily, not my problem, but it is Dan’s.
Once I started looking critically at these questions, I was on my way out of religion. It simply doesn't make any sense to me that the supposed amazingly powerful god couldn't, for some reason, forgive sins without the bloody sacrifice that Jesus supposedly went through. He, god, is supposedly the most powerful, yet, he had this kryptonite forgiveness of sins problem that only a horrific killing could solve? The fact that he had to impregnate a probably almost 15 year old (right polygamy essay writers?) just makes it even more nuts.

I like "treat people how you want to be treated." "Care about your families. etc." But these are free and don't require 10%. How can the Fund grow unless it claims it conveniently has "authority" to determine arbitrary b.s. under penalty of a less than future? It's such a scam. Pay real money and devote real time to the Fund in exchange for guesses about what might happen after death.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Presentism. These stories had an explanatory nature when they were first told. The virgin birth story connected Jesus with God. The Brigham Young addition helped legitimize the elder's craving for young nubile wives since it was in God's nature to personally pollinate.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

All I have to say about the inside scoop on Jesus’ dad is this:

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:14 pm

[...]

But most "sane" christians believe God impregnated 14 year old Mary.

[...]
So far as I am aware, there is no reliable historical evidence of the age at which Mary first became pregnant. I know of no major Christian group amongst whom it is generally believed that the age in question was 14, or indeed any other age.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:08 pm
So far as I am aware, there is no reliable historical evidence of the age at which Mary first became pregnant. I know of no major Christian group amongst whom it is generally believed that the age in question was 14, or indeed any other age.

Christianity.com Do We Know How Old Mary Was When She Had Jesus?
Christianity.com wrote:During this time in history, Jewish girls would have been betrothed (engaged) to their husbands as early as the age of 12-years-old. Scholars believe Mary would have been somewhere between 12-16 years old when she had Jesus.

Given the biblical account and the Jewish cultural practices in Mary’s day, the most plausible age Mary would have been when she had Jesus was most likely 15 or 16-years-old. It is believed that Mary would have been about 14 years old when Gabriel gave her the news of the Lord being born to her.