midgley has a problem with sensitivity

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: midgley has a problem with sensitivity

Post by drumdude »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:44 am
drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:34 am
I wonder if DCP feels regret that he didn’t serve his country like his father did? In 1970 when DCP was 18, the United States drafted over 160,000 of his fellow Americans. 6,000 of those young men in Vietnam died that year. While he was drinking sodas and eating ice cream at BYU.
In FAIRness, having served in the military myself, I don't blame anyone a single iota for NOT serving if they don't absolutely have to. So let's be charitable to DCP in this regard.

No, I am NOT being sarcastic.
FAIR 'nugh.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:40 pm
drumdude wrote:
I wonder if DCP feels regret that he didn’t serve his country like his father did? In 1970 when DCP was 18, the United States drafted over 160,000 of his fellow Americans. 6,000 of those young men in Vietnam died that year. While he was drinking sodas and eating ice cream at BYU.
Did he just luck out and not get drafted, or did he have an exemption? In my Ward, back in the 80’s, it wasn’t unusual to hear the odd Boomer talk about enlisting so they could pick their assignment, a sort of calculated risk I suppose.

- Doc
In 1970 all college students would have a student exemption. The exemption would end upon graduation or leaving school so students still had to plan or wonder about how the draft would effect them.People were assigned a priority number by lottery so they could wonder about odds. Then everybody got to worry wonder or think about how they related to the war.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Louis Midgley
a day ago
My own attempt at a rationalizing explanation for what I call the strident anomaly of Blacks not being able to hold the priesthood, is that if we had initially gone to them we would have become a Black church, and this would have prevented the huge initial missionary harvest first in England, then Wales, and Sweden, Denmark and Norway, as well as Germany and the Netherlands. Those folks would not likely have become Latter-day Saints, if we had been even a bit Black.

I have fashioned this ad hoc explanation out of my experience in New Zealand where our initial and primary success had been with Māori, which immediately made bringing the Pākehā (Europeans) into what was largely a Māori community of Saints very difficult when I first had a look around Aotearoa in 1950. It is still essentially a Māori and Pacific Islander community of Saints.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 am
Louis Midgley
a day ago
My own attempt at a rationalizing explanation for what I call the strident anomaly of Blacks not being able to hold the priesthood, is that if we had initially gone to them we would have become a Black church, and this would have prevented the huge initial missionary harvest first in England, then Wales, and Sweden, Denmark and Norway, as well as Germany and the Netherlands. Those folks would not likely have become Latter-day Saints, if we had been even a bit Black.

I have fashioned this ad hoc explanation out of my experience in New Zealand where our initial and primary success had been with Māori, which immediately made bringing the Pākehā (Europeans) into what was largely a Māori community of Saints very difficult when I first had a look around Aotearoa in 1950. It is still essentially a Māori and Pacific Islander community of Saints.
I’m sure this dovetails with DCP’s admonitions to interracial couples about marriage: he said that he warned them that “things would be difficult.” Given what Midgley says here, you can understand why.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The “it will be difficult if you marry another race” was taught to me directly when I was a Latter Day Saint. It’s not something DCP made up, it was racism enshrined in church doctrine.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Louis Midgley

I am waiting for a certain very dull gem to show up sneering...
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... l#comment-

:roll: the things Midgley enjoys...
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Midge wrote:When someone like Fred Kratz talks about the need for for proof, I wonder what kind of academic training they have had. And especially when they turn up on sic et non trying their best to pull the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from its sold historical foundations.
#OkMidge
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
I wonder if DCP feels regret that he didn’t serve his country like his father did?
I think 1971 was probably the year of Dr. Peterson's prime draft eligibility. The lottery system most likely did not go over #49 that year. The horrors of war were on the nightly news with Walter Cronkite. Those visions on the news were equal gore and dismemberment and that reality tempered dreams of the glories of such service. It was a war being fought because Exxon had discovered offshore oil deposits in the Sea of Vietnam.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace