midgley has a problem with sensitivity

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: midgley has a problem with sensitivity

Post by Doctor Steuss »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:47 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:14 pm

Hi Huckleberry,

If you wouldn't mind and/or have time, would you mind expanding on this a bit? I've been churning it over for a day, and I haven't been able to process it this way.

Is it because "stack" elicits a deck of cars to your ears?
stack is a chimney up which went the smoke of the human beings that were burnt in the concentration camps.It is a blunt description of what happened to human beings in fascist Germany.
Thank you. I am just trying to figure out how the term would disrespect the murderers and not the victims. To me, I am having difficulty hearing/processing it in a way that doesn't minimize the atrocity while trivializing those who were murdered.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:12 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:47 pm

stack is a chimney up which went the smoke of the human beings that were burnt in the concentration camps.It is a blunt description of what happened to human beings in fascist Germany.
Thank you. I am just trying to figure out how the term would disrespect the murderers and not the victims. To me, I am having difficulty hearing/processing it in a way that doesn't minimize the atrocity while trivializing those who were murdered.
There is no respect for person would treat other people with the actions the phrase up the stack describes.

I have used intentionally abrasive phrases at times. I do not know if I would ever think to use the phrase in question but I am sure I would only use with people who I knew shared my utter disgust with the Nazi project and shared my fear that people are capable of treating others with the kind of complete disrespect as done at the concentration camps. On the other hand I can imagine a Nazi at the time using the phrase, up the stack. In that persons mouth it would contain disrespect and indifference for the victims. Comtext would make a big difference.

Perhaps among Midgley's insensitivities is unawareness or indifference to how a hostile audience might hear his comment.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 pm
Perhaps among Midgley's insensitivities is unawareness or indifference...
Makes you wonder whether Dr. Midgley might differentiate a rectum from a veil as something he would pass through?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 pm
Well, good thing the Saints don’t proclaim to have a moral code or moral standard by which they should be held or judged.

What an absolute shitgibbon of a religion. We can be absolute assholes because you jerks are assholes! Up the stack with the lot of you!

You know. Years ago when King Shitgibbon posted here many, many times people, to include myself, asked him to stop antagonizing posters and stop taking jabs at posters. He wouldn’t stop. We literally gave him a head’s up that the next time he insulted someone we were going to punch back. He continued to insult us. So we started punching a little harder than he did, so he could sense how it felt. He of course was the victim. As was Russ and Louis. We of course offered many, many, many times to take conversations up to the Celestial kingdom where decorum and moderation were enforced, and he declined.

He liked the insults.

Louis likes it. Peterson likes it. Russ likes it. And the Q15 like it, otherwise they would’ve called off these dogs years ago. It is what it is.

Offer still stands, by the way. Celestial discussions await the Mopologists.

eta:

This was his response to the above:
Meanwhile, just this afternoon over at what I sometimes call the Peterson Obsession Board, one of the frequent commenters took some time to reminisce about the days — beginning something on the order of fifteen years back, I think, and ending roughly a decade ago — when I too used to post comments comment there. He remembers that I came over with guns blazing, insulting and offending the good folks on that board right and left. They patiently implored me to stop alienating people and to treat them charitably and kindly, but I refused. I continued with my vicious behavior because . . . well, because that’s the kind of person I am. And that’s why my blog is the way it is, too. Mean-spirited and nasty. Ultimately, in a bid to help me understand what it was like to be on the receiving end of my heartless cruelty and unable to think of any other way to provide a badly needed moral education for me, they began to give me a bit of a taste of it myself. And they’ve continued to do it during the decade or so since I stopped commenting there. But I’ve refused to learn.
Indeed.

- Doc
He left because he got tired of discussions where he couldn’t control the terms of the discussion—that’s why he left. One of the great ironies of this latest “outburst” is his extensive censoring of people on “SeN”—just like what the Nazis used to do. What would his Dad—who helped liberate WWII POWs—think about his son’s seemingly inexhaustible penchant for censorship and squelching discussion?

DCP says that he posts this story about his Dad (again and again and again and again: at least a dozen times per year) in the hopes that no one will “forget” the atrocities of the Nazis. Frankly, the aggressive censorship serves as a plenty adequate reminder.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:13 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 pm
Perhaps among Midgley's insensitivities is unawareness or indifference...
Makes you wonder whether Dr. Midgley might differentiate a rectum from a veil as something he would pass through?
No, in this thread where the topic is Midgley's insensitive comments, you are the only one wondering about rectum differentiation.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I wonder if DCP feels regret that he didn’t serve his country like his father did? In 1970 when DCP was 18, the United States drafted over 160,000 of his fellow Americans. 6,000 of those young men in Vietnam died that year. While he was drinking sodas and eating ice cream at BYU.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:24 am
No, in this thread where the topic is Midgley's insensitive comments, you are the only one wondering about rectum differentiation.
Be precise. In this thread touching on insensitivity, the question was whether Dr. Midgley would differentiate his passage between the veil and rectum.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:00 am
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:24 am
Be precise. In this thread touching on insensitivity, the question was whether Dr. Midgley would differentiate his passage between the veil and rectum.
Okay, I'll be precise. Please don't make vulgar comments on a thread I start. They are off-topic and not funny.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:34 am
I wonder if DCP feels regret that he didn’t serve his country like his father did? In 1970 when DCP was 18, the United States drafted over 160,000 of his fellow Americans. 6,000 of those young men in Vietnam died that year. While he was drinking sodas and eating ice cream at BYU.
Did he just luck out and not get drafted, or did he have an exemption? In my Ward, back in the 80’s, it wasn’t unusual to hear the odd Boomer talk about enlisting so they could pick their assignment, a sort of calculated risk I suppose.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:34 am
In FAIRness, having served in the military myself, I don't blame anyone a single iota for NOT serving if they don't absolutely have to. So let's be charitable to DCP in this regard.

No, I am NOT being sarcastic.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024