RFM & Bill Reel Just DESTROYED the 2 Cumorah Hill Theory Tonight

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: RFM & Bill Reel Just DESTROYED the 2 Cumorah Hill Theory Tonight

Post by Dr Exiled »

sock puppet wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:11 pm
malkie wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:32 pm

Didn't the second letter go missing in the office of one of the apologists? (I don't think it was DCP's, but I don't remember whose it was.)

I wonder if anyone has made a serious effort to find it, especially since it seems to be an important document.
It turns out that the "2nd Watson Letter" never really was such. All that Matt Roper provided to Dr. Smith in early 2010 when the NAMIRS office was moving was an unsigned fax sent by a Carla Ogden to NAMIRS, the text of which was simply a word-for-word lift from a couple of paragraphs from Ludlow's Encyclopedia of Mormonism. David A. Palmer, “Cumorah,” in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, ed. Daniel H. Ludlow (New York, NY: Macmillan, 1992), 1:346–34. Ogden was a non-ecclesiastical administrative assistant to Watson. Whereas the first (and only) Watson letter was signed by Michael F. Watson, a set-apart, GA working in the office of and for the First Presidency.

DCP claimed to have seen the so-called second Watson letter "with his own eyes" and held it "in his own hands", and claimed others at NAMIRS had too. DCP persisted for weeks in December 2009 in such claims over at MD&D, until Bill Hamblin disabused DCP of the notion, and explained the only "retraction" of the first (and only) Watson letter on the topic was the Carla Ogden fax.
So, DCP saw the fax cover with his own eyes and held the fax cover with his own hands? His legacy is still intact people! He saw it and felt it just like St. Hyrum did with the plates of old. Just substitute fax cover sheet for letter and the reputation lives on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Here is the farms explanation of the silliness:

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/ans ... battles%3F
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:32 pm
sock puppet wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:11 pm

It turns out that the "2nd Watson Letter" never really was such. All that Matt Roper provided to Dr. Smith in early 2010 when the NAMIRS office was moving was an unsigned fax sent by a Carla Ogden to NAMIRS, the text of which was simply a word-for-word lift from a couple of paragraphs from Ludlow's Encyclopedia of Mormonism. David A. Palmer, “Cumorah,” in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, ed. Daniel H. Ludlow (New York, NY: Macmillan, 1992), 1:346–34. Ogden was a non-ecclesiastical administrative assistant to Watson. Whereas the first (and only) Watson letter was signed by Michael F. Watson, a set-apart, GA working in the office of and for the First Presidency.

DCP claimed to have seen the so-called second Watson letter "with his own eyes" and held it "in his own hands", and claimed others at NAMIRS had too. DCP persisted for weeks in December 2009 in such claims over at MD&D, until Bill Hamblin disabused DCP of the notion, and explained the only "retraction" of the first (and only) Watson letter on the topic was the Carla Ogden fax.
So, DCP saw the fax cover with his own eyes and held the fax cover with his own hands? His legacy is still intact people! He saw it and felt it just like St. Hyrum did with the plates of old. Just substitute fax cover sheet for letter and the reputation lives on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is a long and storied tradition in Mormonism of testifying that its adherents have seen things that they haven't. DCP just proved his Mormon bona fides by having so insisted when it was false.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

sock puppet wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:35 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:32 pm

There is a long and storied tradition in Mormonism of testifying that its adherents have seen things that they haven't. DCP just proved his Mormon bona fides by having so insisted when it was false.
Have you seen my paper analyzing the second fax? Lots of problems with it. https://bobcrockettlaw.com/wp-content/u ... graphy.pdf. I personally think it was constructed after the fact by somebody who lost the original. The most telling problems: Brent Hall has never authenticated this document when he could have easily done so, and there is no fax strip.

Also I call into question the use of proportional fonts for a document that old.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

The second Watson letter was only seeable by spiritual eyes. And unfortunately, it's currently slipped deeper into the missing stone box after Santa tried to borrow it to write a repentance note to Bigfoot to let him know he could have the priesthood now.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:10 pm
sock puppet wrote:

Have you seen my paper analyzing the second fax? Lots of problems with it. https://bobcrockettlaw.com/wp-content/u ... graphy.pdf. I personally think it was constructed after the fact by somebody who lost the original. The most telling problems: Brent Hall has never authenticated this document when he could have easily done so, and there is no fax strip.

Also I call into question the use of proportional fonts for a document that old.
For some reason, I think I did read that before, or at least your expression of those concepts. I think the First Presidency was using a computer word processing with proportional fonts in 1990. Here at least is a 1989 letter that also shows it. http://charsroots.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... etter.html
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:10 pm
sock puppet wrote:

I remember reading some comments about that years ago. They must have been from you. Thanks for letting me know about the paper. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Is someone a mystery guest?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I appreciate Yahoo’s 47 page report to help us see what the church’s position might be, but one has to ask: why can’t any of the dozens of current seers and revelators just come out and plainly reveal to us the location?

The answer must be that God wants us to believe without evidence.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:07 pm
I appreciate Yahoo’s 47 page report to help us see what the church’s position might be, but one has to ask: why can’t any of the dozens of current seers and revelators just come out and plainly reveal to us the location?

The answer must be that God wants us to believe without evidence.
Pure idiotic thinking, of course... If that was actually the case, then Jesus showing up after his resurrection to anyone was a major blunder. Logic isn't Mormonism's strongest suit. Better stick with the stocks Brethren.

On the other hand, perhaps like Zeus, God was rather busy with one of his celestial "affairs" somewhere off in lala land when the Book of Mormon events were occurring, and even He actually doesn't know where any of it happened, and He is too embarrassed to say so.