Peterson the historical skeptic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Peterson the historical skeptic

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:04 pm

MG 2.0:

I think you are highlighting the insignificant to hide the damning details of the story. Joseph Smith refused to show the plates to the world and let experts test his supposed translation. He conveniently claimed that the plates were taken back by the angel (moroni/nephi - uncertain which). He used a freaking rock and a hat to do the supposed translation for heaven's sake! If he truly had a gift, the plates would be around today and reformed egyptian would have been discovered. Experts would have validated his translation. There would have been discovery after discovery tying the Nephites to the old world, etc. Instead, we have appeals to how much Joseph Smith sacrificed and worked at his con. Of course Joseph Smith had to work as circumstances dictated. He had to continue to support his con or noble lie. Otherwise, the evil critics that demanded proof would have won and we wouldn't be having this conversation today.
There is always going to be the woulda, coulda, shoulda, isn’t there? And how MUCH of each of those that are necessary will vary from person to person.

Your requirements are fairly demanding.

Almost no room left for faith. 😉

Regards,
MG
You're right. There isn't room for faith here. The full story looks invented and "faith" in this instance looks like what so many confidence persons demand of their victims, belief in the highly questionable. Also, I don't think I am the one that is demanding in this instance. Believers are asked, unreasonably in my estimation, to believe a story that looks concocted to anyone not immersed in the religious culture. Then they are required to devote a lot of time and money to the cause. The guy claimed God spoke to him through an ordinary rock, the same rock he used to pull his buried treasure confidence games. That is a tough fact to overcome. I think that is where the story should have ended.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:12 am
Marcus wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:55 pm

So, if you weren't raised Mormon and consequently didn't feel the need to come here and irrationally defend your Mormon position, you would possibly be inclined to agree with canpakes' comments. That is an extremely telling comment. Thank you for being honest about that.
I think we all are subject, at least to some extent, to our environmental conditions and upbringing. That shouldn’t come as any great surprise. Some folks, however, tend to be a bit more curious about the world and all things in it. That would be me. I suppose that’s why I chose teaching as a career.

I tend, like canpakes, to be built with a somewhat skeptical mind. I like to have proof.
Oh come on. I had to stop there because, seriously, there is NOTHING in your posts that suggests you have that mindset. NOTHING.
And I still can’t tell to any degree of specificity who YOU are at all. If I were to guess, you’re actually a woman using a male moniker. Aged somewhere between twenty five and thirty. No older than that.
:lol: let me guess. You're not a great guesser.
By the way, a large reason I come here is simply to bounce things around and to keep my mind actively engaged in writing.
Nope. You come here to disrupt conversations and troll people you inexplicably think you are superior to, but you also don't really believe what you are pushing. You are a compete open book.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:55 pm

So, if you weren't raised Mormon and consequently didn't feel the need to come here and irrationally defend your Mormon position, you would possibly be inclined to agree with canpakes' comments. That is an extremely telling comment. Thank you for being honest about that.
I think we all are subject, at least to some extent, to our environmental conditions and upbringing. That shouldn’t come as any great surprise. Some folks, however, tend to be a bit more curious about the world and all things in it. That would be me. I suppose that’s why I chose teaching as a career.

I tend, like canpakes, to be built with a somewhat skeptical mind.
BuuuuuuuuuullSHIT. You’re actually the opposite of what you described. You’re irredeemably incurious about faith outside of Mormonism. And you're termInally gullible when it comes to Mormonism’s truth claims. You’ve never given any other major faith tradition 1/1,000th the attention you’ve given your patently ridiculous religion. If what you’ve posted wasn’t so you it’d be laughably absurd.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:22 am
The guy claimed God spoke to him through an ordinary rock, the same rock he used to pull his buried treasure confidence games. That is a tough fact to overcome. I think that is where the story should have ended.
Just out of interest, if God spoke to you back in the early eighteen hundreds and you had little or no experience with ‘god’, how would you expect he may have communicated with you? And if he were to have you write a book, what do you see as being the process…ways and means…by which he would have done so.

Serious question.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

I tend, like canpakes, to be built with a somewhat skeptical mind. I like to have proof.
Oh come on. I had to stop there because, seriously, there is NOTHING in your posts that suggests you have that mindset. NOTHING.
And I still can’t tell to any degree of specificity who YOU are at all. If I were to guess, you’re actually a woman using a male moniker. Aged somewhere between twenty five and thirty. No older than that.
By the way, a large reason I come here is simply to bounce things around and to keep my mind actively engaged in writing.
Nope. You come here to disrupt conversations and troll people you inexplicably think you are superior to, but you also don't really believe what you are pushing. You are a compete open book.
Like I said, somewhere between twenty five and thirty. And before you rush to judgement, I have nothing against young folks within this age category. But I have certain expectations, and not others.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

BuuuuuuuuuullSHIT. You’re actually the opposite of what you described. You’re irredeemably incurious about faith outside of Mormonism. And you're termInally gullible when it comes to Mormonism’s truth claims. You’ve never given any other major faith tradition 1/1,000th the attention you’ve given your patently ridiculous religion. If what you’ve posted wasn’t so you it’d be laughably absurd.

- Doc
You’re not very interesting. Or engaging.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:

- Doc
I would add gullible to the truth claims without actually thinking through what they say they believe. The product of being raised Mormon from the womb.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 am

Like I said, somewhere between twenty five and thirty. And before you rush to judgement, I have nothing against young folks within this age category. But I have certain expectations, and not others.

Regards,
MG
: D You're a very weird dude. Keep your "expectations" to yourself.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 am

Regards,
MG
: D You're a very weird dude. Keep your "expectations" to yourself.
Generally speaking, I do. I’ve always lived according to the idea/rule of having low expectations, that way I’m never disappointed. 😂😁

Regards,
MG
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:33 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
You’re not very interesting. Or engaging.

Regards,
MG
Totally picking up a DCP vibe here.