"The Book of Mormon surpasses all known pseudo-archaic writings in breadth and depth of archaism"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: "The Book of Mormon surpasses all known pseudo-archaic writings in breadth and depth of archaism"

Post by Dr Exiled »

I guess I have to hand it to Mr. Carmack for doggedly pursuing his theory, no matter how fantastical it sounds. He sees Early Modern English in the Book of Mormon clouds and by damned Joseph Smith couldn't have known to put it there. No way could Joseph Smith have been trying to sound biblical. That is out of the question for our language miner. Leadership may come and go, but, Early Modern English lives on! At least he keeps himself busy, punching out variations on his dubious claims, and at a steady pace. It also provides needed filler so the interpreter chief can continue to keep his streak of weekly "scholarship" intact. So there's that too.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
drumdude
God

Re: "The Book of Mormon surpasses all known pseudo-archaic writings in breadth and depth of archaism"

Post by drumdude »

¥akaSteelhead wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:33 pm
they misspelled "anachronism".
:lol:
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:57 pm
I guess I have to hand it to Mr. Carmack for doggedly pursuing his theory, no matter how fantastical it sounds. He sees Early Modern English in the Book of Mormon clouds and by damned Joseph Smith couldn't have known to put it there. No way could Joseph Smith have been trying to sound biblical. That is out of the question for our language miner. Leadership may come and go, but, Early Modern English lives on! At least he keeps himself busy, punching out variations on his dubious claims, and at a steady pace. It also provides needed filler so the interpreter chief can continue to keep his streak of weekly "scholarship" intact. So there's that too.
Carmack also seems to miss the extensive linguistic work that's already been done demonstrating how archaic usage patterns are much more likely to be common in rural areas.

It would be the best troll in the world if someone could somehow trick him into "analyzing" text from "The Two Towers" with different names so that he could "prove" it was a true record.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:56 pm
Waiting patiently for the joke to land …
Are you calling John Frum a joke?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:57 pm
Carmack also seems to miss the extensive linguistic work that's already been done demonstrating how archaic usage patterns are much more likely to be common in rural areas.

It would be the best troll in the world if someone could somehow trick him into "analyzing" text from "The Two Towers" with different names so that he could "prove" it was a true record.
Clark Goble, rip, used to bring up this possibility to Dr. Carmack over at MD&D and suggested that perhaps court records could illuminate the issue. Physics Guy weighed in on it as well. I cited some articles, too, that I found about how some linguists pointed out that Appalachian English was pretty close to Elizabethian (Early Modern English). It was always brushed off and never really engaged by Dr. Carmack. Go figure.

He has his theory. Joseph couldn't have known. End of story.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:10 am
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 am

Clark Goble, rip, used to bring up this possibility to Dr. Carmack over at MD&D and suggested that perhaps court records could illuminate the issue. Physics Guy weighed in on it as well. I cited some articles, too, that I found about how some linguists pointed out that Appalachian English was pretty close to Elizabethian (Early Modern English). It was always brushed off and never really engaged by Dr. Carmack. Go figure.

He has his theory. Joseph couldn't have known. End of story.
Motivated reasoning is a powerful drug.

Mopologists are just fundamentalists with better vocabularies. And they're just as able to prove their beliefs as the backcountry Bible thumper.

I actually have no problem if someone wants to believe the Book of Mormon is real. But don't use simulacra of academic tools and then claim to have "proved it." No, all you did was created a fake process that looks vaguely similar to the real thing to people who don't know the genuine article. It's an insult to everyone's intelligence, including the mopologist's.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

... it surpasses all known pseudo-archaic writings in breadth and depth of archaism.
Did they compare the pseudo-archaic writings of the Late Great War against the Book of Mormon?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:27 pm
... it surpasses all known pseudo-archaic writings in breadth and depth of archaism.
Did they compare the pseudo-archaic writings of the Late Great War against the Book of Mormon?
I can loan them my copy if they need one.

sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:36 am
Mopologists are just fundamentalists with better vocabularies. And they're just as able to prove their beliefs as the backcountry Bible thumper.

I actually have no problem if someone wants to believe the Book of Mormon is real. But don't use simulacra of academic tools and then claim to have "proved it." No, all you did was created a fake process that looks vaguely similar to the real thing to people who don't know the genuine article. It's an insult to everyone's intelligence, including the mopologist's.
Very good description of why the FARMS/NAMIRS effort with the Journal of Book of Mormon Studies was an academic fail.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Post by tapirrider »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:19 am
https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... hat-usage/

A Comparison of the Book of Mormon’s Subordinate That Usage
Abstract: This paper compares the Book of Mormon’s subordinate that usage with what is found in the King James Bible, pseudo-archaic writings, and the greater textual record. In this linguistic domain, the Book of Mormon manifests as thoroughly archaic, and it surpasses all known pseudo-archaic writings in breadth and depth of archaism. The implications of this set of linguistic data indicate that the translation as originally dictated by Joseph Smith cannot plausibly be explained as the result of Joseph’s own word choices, but it is consistent with the hypothesis that the wording was somehow provided to him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: