Brodie, Introduction page 2

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Brodie, Introduction page 2

Post by Dr Moore »

Better late than never, eh? Finally bought a copy of No Man Knows My History.

So here we are, page 2 of the introduction.
Brodie wrote: And the later years of his journal — in which he wrote repeated denials of his polygamy — are no less troublesome…
Alrighty then. It is established that Joseph Smith lies to himself, and chapter 1 hasn’t even started yet.

This should be interesting.
drumdude
God

Re: Brodie, Introduction page 2

Post by drumdude »

That reminds me to start reading from Joseph's journals. While looking for what Brodie was referring to, I found this gem:

Joseph Smith's Diary, 23 May 1844

10 A.M. Municipal court. N. K. Whitny [Newel K. Whitney].346 <​adjou[rn]ed—​> 1 week​>347
3481. P.M. held counsel council with the Indians— sac & fox &c in my back kitchen.
They told me (Joseph) “Your are a big chief, we are sons of <​2 as​> big men. <​and Priests​> as ever inhabited this land You preach a great deal so say great Spirit. you be as great & good as our fathers that will do. Our worship is differe[n]t. but we are good as any other men.—— before our nation were acquaintd with white men. th[e]y were as g[r]eat men as ever lived on th[e] river—— now live on Desmoines. 20 years ago. 6000 off us.— now. small nation. 3 towns.—— 2 men not over yesterday— they talk with big spirit we have had possession of this land.—— Neopope is one of our principle men.— we wish frie[n]dship with all men.— our cheefs done wrong in selling our Count[r]y.
Black hawks bro. maquisis— Sac nation worshippd on this piece of of ground.— when our fathe[r]s first came here— this was inhabtd [inhabited] by sp[a]nish— spih [Spanish] drivn off fren[c]h came— and th[e]n English & America[n]s talk a great deal with the spirts big spirit.— we differnt colour. no differnc [difference] so we all good men. another said we have seen a great deal of pl[e]asure on these this grouds piece of Land. our fathers worshipped on this pi[e]ce of Land. English were very fri[en]dly. had good— we drove off a nation who was on the river— this is the best country our fathers had seen— Fathe[r]s of the 2 old men were preachers. wantd Joseph to be as [p. [128]] good as th[e]y were— 2 nations are brothers wanted Joseph to talk right be be our big chi[e]f white men wear hats. indians naked. colour[ed] English. Frenc[h]. indians all brethren. don't expe[c]t to live long.— <​don't​> care for any thing only for somthig [something] to eat. &c. Fri[e]ndly visit— 2 days. sac chief sold their land again. and would go to mo [Missouri] in 2 years— we are ve[r]y poor— whit[e]s cheat us— but no diffe[re]nce not Long to Live. we wanted to let you know we were a christian people.—349

I Repli[e]d. we know you have been. wronged. but we bought this land and paid our money for it.—350 advse you not to sell any more land. cultvate peac[e] with all men with the diff[er]ent tribes.

Great spirit wants you to be united & live in peac[e]— fou[n]d a book. (pentig [presenting] the Book of Mormon) which told me about your fathers.— &. Great spi[r]it told me.—

you must send to all the tribes you can. & tell them to live in peace. & when any of our people come to see you treat them as we treat you.

What was that BYU apologists said about Lamanite DNA dying out in the gene pool? Here is a Native American in Joe's own back yard, who Joe explicitly tells he is a Lamanite.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Do the JSP documents show where Joseph denied polygamy in his own later journal entries?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:52 am
Do the JSP documents show where Joseph denied polygamy in his own later journal entries?
I started at the end of his journals and am working backwards. It's a bit hard to search through with all the < [ ( --- notations left in the transcript.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

It is still the best written, though outdated, biography of Smith. She was an incredible writer.

Everything written about Smith is built on what Brodie accomplished. When I started investigating Mormon history, I started with Brodie, worked my way though Hill, Vogel, Roberts, Remini and then the newly released one by Bushman. She was the most referenced writer in those other biographies.
Last edited by Fence Sitter on Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Brodie's scholarship lives on, while Nibley's response is dust in the wind.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:25 pm
Brodie's scholarship lives on, while Nibley's response is dust in the wind.
Well.... except for 2 apologetic stalwarts in the faith of the Church of Nibley.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:48 am

What was that BYU apologists said about Lamanite DNA dying out in the gene pool? Here is a Native American in Joe's own back yard, who Joe explicitly tells he is a Lamanite.
In early 1844 Israel Daniel Rupp published a book called An Original History of the Religious Denominations at Present Existing In The United States.
Smith wrote the short chapter on Mormonism, and had a copy of the book in his possession just before he died and had high praise for it.

From that chapter Smith wrote is the following regarding the Book of Mormon:
In this important and interesting book the history of ancient America is unfolded, from its first settlement by a colony that came from the tower of Babel, at the confusions of language, to the beginning of the fifth century of the Christian era.
We are informed by these records, that America, in ancient times, has been inhabited by two distinct races of people. The first were called Jaredites and came directly from the tower of Babel. The second race came directly from the city of Jerusalem, about six hundred years before Christ. They were principally Israelites, of the descendants of Joseph. The Jaredites were destroyed about the time the Israelites came from Jerusalem, who succeeded them in the inheritance of the country. The principal nation of the second race fell in battle toward the close of the fourth century. The remnant are the Indians who now inhabit this country.
See page 406.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:07 pm
drumdude wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:48 am

In early 1844 Israel Daniel Rupp published a book called An Original History of the Religious Denominations at Present Existing In The United States.
Smith wrote the short chapter on Mormonism, and had a copy of the book in his possession just before he died and had high praise for it.

From that chapter Smith wrote is the following regarding the Book of Mormon:
In this important and interesting book the history of ancient America is unfolded, from its first settlement by a colony that came from the tower of Babel, at the confusions of language, to the beginning of the fifth century of the Christian era.
We are informed by these records, that America, in ancient times, has been inhabited by two distinct races of people. The first were called Jaredites and came directly from the tower of Babel. The second race came directly from the city of Jerusalem, about six hundred years before Christ. They were principally Israelites, of the descendants of Joseph. The Jaredites were destroyed about the time the Israelites came from Jerusalem, who succeeded them in the inheritance of the country. The principal nation of the second race fell in battle toward the close of the fourth century. The remnant are the Indians who now inhabit this country.
See page 406.
Joseph Smith was a Heartlander. :lol:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:38 pm

Joseph Smith was a Heartlander. :lol:

- Doc
Of course he was but modern LDS scholars know that is indefensible.

One would have thought that over the multiple decades Smith was visited by or spoke directly to angels and God, that just one divine personage might of mentioned to him he was wrong about where the Lamanites actually lived.