Has anyone noticed a difference in Hanna Seariac’s content lately

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Has anyone noticed a difference in Hanna Seariac’s content lately

Post by canpakes »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:21 pm
Hanna could be right that this insistence on finding evidence of ancient Israel in America "... is the product of a religious ideology with a legacy of religious nationalism and white supremacy. They may be using state-of-the-art equipment in the effort, but there’s nothing new about this toxic perspective".

I would like to ask Hanna how that works out any differently when replacing indigenous North American residents in that approach, with indigenous South American residents.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

IHAQ
I get the impression from that article that Hanna hasn’t read the Book of Mormon and does not know what it literally says.
Well, that is the one book apologists do not have to read first in order to spout opinions about its truth.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:41 pm
I would like to ask Hanna how that works out any differently when replacing indigenous North American residents in that approach, with indigenous South American residents.
My guess is that her candid answer would be to say that both scenarios are problematic.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Speaking of DezNuts, here's what Dan is currently dealing with on his blog:
The last danite wrote:The federal government has, and always will, treat democracy as a joke. Nothing more than a populist smokescreen.
Peterson wrote:TLD: "The federal government has, and always will, treat democracy as a joke. Nothing more than a populist smokescreen."

Nonsense.

Stop it.
The last danite wrote:Funny since the left claimed the 2000 election was stolen because of Jeb Bush, the 2004 election was stolen from "voting machines being hacked', and 2016 was stolen because of Russia.
Peterson wrote:TLD: "Funny since the left claimed the 2000 election was stolen because of Jeb Bush, the 2004 election was stolen from "voting machines being hacked', and 2016 was stolen because of Russia."

Please don't start down this path again.
The last danite wrote:But Trump! The deflection and attempt at whitewashing is so boring. Why are "stolen election" conspiracies so wrong and taboo now when they were common among liberal circles for over a decade?
Peterson wrote:TLD: "But Trump! The deflection and attempt at whitewashing is so boring. Why are "stolen election" conspiracies so wrong and taboo now when they were common among liberal circles for over a decade?"

Enough, TLD. Enough.

Enough.
The last danite wrote:But Trump! The deflection and refusal to address the actual point is funny.

Would HBO ever put out a modern version of this documentary https://en.wikipedia.org/wi... Just change the year to 2020 and it would be considered a fringe lunatic freak show but since it was claiming that the only reason Kerry lost was due to voter fraud it was given an Emmy and HBO was happy to put their stamp on it.
Peterson wrote:TLD: "But Trump!"

Enough, TLD. Stop it.
The last danite wrote:There is nothing more patriotic than mocking government officials.
Peterson wrote:TLD: "There is nothing more patriotic than mocking government officials."

I think that my father's service during the Second World War was more patriotic than mocking government officials. And I can think of thousands of other things that are more patriotic than mockery, and millions of people who have been more heroic than mockers.

Please don't litter my blog with such nonsense as your comment above.
The last danite wrote:The term conspiracy theory should be replaced with "spoiler alert"
Peterson wrote:TLD: "The term conspiracy theory should be replaced with "spoiler alert""

Please do not start down this path again.

The last danite represents a very large constituent of believing Latter-day saints. Telling them to stop it, as if they're speaking to a 6 year old kicking a seat, is not going to do a damn thing.
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

Hanna Seariac is an awesome human being and has an admirable curiosity to keep inquiring and improving her understanding.

Her article on the heartland model is fascinating and at least partly correct. I would have liked to see some allowance in the article that not everyone who embraces the model does so because of political factors--some will embrace it simply because of statements in the early church placing Cumorah, the land of Manti, and other Nephite locations in the eastern US. But she's not wrong that the present heartland geography movement has a decidedly political cast to it.

Also, from what I've seen her progressive thoughts are quite genuine. I would position her as an eclectic moderate.

Don
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Wow. I got her confused with Hannah Stoddard (a member of the zealous/ orthodox "Joseph Smith Foundation") and wondered what the heck was going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMV_CDKp2BM
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Don Bradley wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 am
Hanna Seariac is an awesome human being and has an admirable curiosity to keep inquiring and improving her understanding.

Her article on the heartland model is fascinating and at least partly correct. I would have liked to see some allowance in the article that not everyone who embraces the model does so because of political factors--some will embrace it simply because of statements in the early church placing Cumorah, the land of Manti, and other Nephite locations in the eastern US. But she's not wrong that the present heartland geography movement has a decidedly political cast to it.

Also, from what I've seen her progressive thoughts are quite genuine. I would position her as an eclectic moderate.

Don
Thanks for this thoughtful and generous post, Don. I also applaud Seariac’s evolution. I wouldn’t expect anything less from a winner of the Sampson Avard Award.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:54 am
Don Bradley wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 am

Don
Thanks for this thoughtful and generous post, Don. I also applaud Seariac’s evolution. I wouldn’t expect anything less from a winner of the Sampson Avard Award.
Dr. Scratch,

I’ve noticed more than a few past Sampson Avard Award winners have mellowed considerably. Young Smoot’s writings are now thoughtful, cultured and almost unrecognizable compare to his earlier contentious and insult laden writings.

It’s almost like getting the Avard Award forces the recipient to be more introspective, mature and scholarly.

I bet the Mopologists are fuming.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 am

Dr. Scratch,

I’ve noticed more than a few past Sampson Avard Award winners have mellowed considerably. Young Smoot’s writings are now thoughtful, cultured and almost unrecognizable compare to his earlier contentious and insult laden writings.

It’s almost like getting the Avard Award forces the recipient to be more introspective, mature and scholarly.

I bet the Mopologists are fuming.
Maybe, but I was under the impression that Smoot is the main person behind the "Neville Neville Land" blog, which would take away from the claim.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14