Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

Post by Marcus »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:28 pm
Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:52 pm
Here is a 2009 post from Dr. Peterson I wish to archive (I’ll be sending it to a Cassius archivist shortly).
https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/46 ... 1208775896

So the first Watson letter (1990) was actually the second and the Ogden fax (1993) was the third. The first Watson letter can be dated to pre-1985, according to Dr. Hamblin. Why, when he published the pre-1985 Watson letter in the Journal of Book of Mormon Studies in 1993, Hamblin cited it as “ Correspondence from Michael Watson, Office of the First Presidency, 23 April 1993” remains a mystery.
This kind of banter pattern of Peterson is the automatic mode he goes into when he has been caught with a lie or something worse. He always starts writing like this to obfuscate, it is what a rhetorician does best. He is trying desperately to take our eyes off the prize clue. He plays cute and self-accusatory in order to play his home field audience who laps it up and imagines their hero is constantly misjudged and unrighteously assailed without evidence. I have seen this pattern from him for decades now. And every single time he goes into this mode he has been caught hiding something crucial which shows he was wrong.
He also used the same strategy when he was caught plagiarizing.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

In essence, Drs. Peterson and Hamblin lied repeatedly to thousands of Latter-day Saints--which in and of itself would be absolutely reprehensible, but it actually gets worse, since the repercussions of their duplicity is still ongoing. It's worth remembering that they lied in order to bolster their stupid LGT theory, and in doing so, they've pitted themselves against Latter-day Saints that believe otherwise--such as Rodney Meldrum and the Heartlanders. The war is still going on, and you can't help but feel that this whole saga is directly related to their lying about the 2nd Watson Letter.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

When did LDS meetinghouses start putting Mezoamerican artwork in the halls? And who sanctioned that to happen?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

So the first Watson letter (1990) was actually the second and the Ogden fax (1993) was the third.
That is mind-boggling and perhaps hints toward either time travel or an apologetic sense of make-believe. Regardless, the Watson letter of 1990 would supersede the correspondence Dr. Hamblin received in 1985.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:35 am
So the first Watson letter (1990) was actually the second and the Ogden fax (1993) was the third.
That is mind-boggling and perhaps hints toward either time travel or an apologetic sense of make-believe. Regardless, the Watson letter of 1990 would supersede the correspondence Dr. Hamblin received in 1985.
The 1985 "letter" that is not produced reminds me of Skousen's committee in heaven explanation as to why the Isaiah chapters reproduced in the Book of Mormon would be in Elizabethan English, with punctuation and all.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats