Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

Post by drumdude »

The D definitely doesn’t stand for double!
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

consiglieri wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:10 pm
We speculate on the show that the C in DCP stands for Condescending.
I've wondered a few other choice words that begin with a C, but Condescending wins the non-X rated category.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:13 pm
I have a hard time believing it takes research to read the next paragraph and let the author finish the point he is making.

But then, this is DP we're talking about.
Comments about DP here are so kneejerk and lockstep that I periodically get a perverse urge to see if there could be different angles to look at.

In this instance I think it is clear that explaining Bill Nye was not Dr Peterson's purpose. He was making his own use of a colorful image provided by Nye. I think that can be fair use.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm
drumdude wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:13 pm
I have a hard time believing it takes research to read the next paragraph and let the author finish the point he is making.

But then, this is DP we're talking about.
Comments about DP here are so kneejerk and lockstep that I periodically get a perverse urge to see if there could be different angles to look at.

In this instance I think it is clear that explaining Bill Nye was not Dr Peterson's purpose. He was making his own use of a colorful image provided by Nye. I think that can be fair use.
I do think that could be a viable angle if Peterson didn't have a decade long history of mischaracterizing atheists' beliefs on his blog.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

hey Sherlock, yes Watson.

I actually do remember that the existence of a second Watson letter was the bone over which the war at ZLMB was fought ending any mutual discussion board with church supporters.

For better or worse I completely lost interest in Watson long before the final wars were fought. Now I cannot recall what a Watson letter is and why it should be of the slightest concern to anybody whether or not there was a second.

Anybody have a , hopefully brief and simple, refresher on this deep matter. Here we have new threads about it and everybody is suppose to remember who Watson is , was , or is it will be?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 am
hey Sherlock, yes Watson.

I actually do remember that the existence of a second Watson letter was the bone over which the war at ZLMB was fought ending any mutual discussion board with church supporters.

For better or worse I completely lost interest in Watson long before the final wars were fought. Now I cannot recall what a Watson letter is and why it should be of the slightest concern to anybody whether or not there was a second.

Anybody have a , hopefully brief and simple, refresher on this deep matter. Here we have new threads about it and everybody is suppose to remember who Watson is , was , or is it will be?
There's a decent play-by-play of the whole affair archived in the "Hall of Fame" threads section.

Basically, the backstory is that a somebody in the midwest--a Bishop at a ward in Kansas or Oklahoma or some place like that--mailed the First Presidency asking them about the location of the Hill Cumorah. Breaking with the usual protocol, they *actually responded*--the guy got a letter back from the First Presidency's Secretary--one F. Michael Watson. The letter was written on official 1st Presidency letterhead, and it said that Cumorah was right here in America, just as orthodox LDS teachings have always maintained.

But, of course, this clashes with the Mopologists' theories about the Book of Mormon taking place in Latin America (Sorenson's crap, and so forth). So, they contrived to obtain a *second* letter, which they alleged was also from F. Michael Watson, and which repudiated the 1st Watson Letter. They printed the text of this alleged letter in an issue of the FARMS Review, and claimed that they matter was resolved. (And I should add that the whole thing was complicated by the fact that the Tanners had gotten ahold of a photocopy of the original, and they were taunting the Mopologists with it, and so forth.) The trouble was that they refused to produce a photocopy of the alleged "2nd Watson Letter," and critics wondered if they were making the whole thing up.

As you can read in the link from the "Hall of Fame" threads, the Mopologists were indeed lying. They never had a "2nd Letter" from F. Michael Watson. Instead, they had some fax from somebody named Carla Ogden, and even worse, the text was really just lifted from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, but they had been lying about all of this for years. The whole thing stands as a massive monument to their duplicity and fundamental dishonesty.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I highly recommend everyone to read that link, it's one of the best examples of the workings of Mopologetics around. I may read it myself for a third time this weekend. It's one plot twist after another.
Doctor Scratch wrote:As you can read in the link from the "Hall of Fame" threads, the Mopologists were indeed lying. They never had a "2nd Letter" from F. Michael Watson. Instead, they had some fax from somebody named Carla Ogden, and even worse, the text was really just lifted from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, but they had been lying about all of this for years. The whole thing stands as a massive monument to their duplicity and fundamental dishonesty.
Right, they got a low-level admin to send them a restatement of their own claim. lol. The thread has to be read in its entirety to really appreciate the unfolding of the Mopologist.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Dr Scratch and Gadianton, thank you for the concise refresher.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:20 am
As you can read in the link from the "Hall of Fame" threads, the Mopologists were indeed lying. They never had a "2nd Letter" from F. Michael Watson. Instead, they had some fax from somebody named Carla Ogden, and even worse, the text was really just lifted from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, but they had been lying about all of this for years. The whole thing stands as a massive monument to their duplicity and fundamental dishonesty.
Even with the fax from Carla Ogden, Dr. Hamblin omitted the final four words which would have weakened his position, and then claimed it was from a letter by F. Michael Watson rather than a 1-page fax cover by Carla Ogden. Since apparently copies of Carla's fax were photocopied and passed around, others must have known of Dr. Hamblin's deception but kept quiet due to the Lying for the Lord doctrine in the Unwritten Rules on page one.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:12 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:20 am
Even with the fax from Carla Ogden, Dr. Hamblin omitted the final four words which would have weakened his position, and then claimed it was from a letter by F. Michael Watson rather than a 1-page fax cover by Carla Ogden. Since apparently copies of Carla's fax were photocopied and passed around, others must have known of Dr. Hamblin's deception but kept quiet due to the Lying for the Lord doctrine in the Unwritten Rules on page one.
Not that Carla would remember or even talk , did anyone try to contact her?