Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

Post by huckelberry »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:24 am
DCP wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 am

Now, having read reams of negative exposés of my own faith, I'm somewhat skeptical of such things. But I recall thinking that, if even a third of the allegations in the article were true, Scientology was the most painfully obvious religious fraud I had ever seen.

Another shining example of DCP attacking and degrading another religion.
Is there some reason a person should not have and speak a negative view of some religion?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:04 am
Is there some reason a person should not have and speak a negative view of some religion?
I take it you’re unaware of Mr. Peterson’s statements on the ill-speaking of religions?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Why can’t Dr Peterson just leave Scientology alone, doesn’t he know they are happier and healthier than everyone else?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:04 am
I take it you’re unaware of Mr. Peterson’s statements on the ill-speaking of religions?

- Doc
Nobody keeps that sort of thing perfectly.

I just do not think it is important enough not to allow the fellow some slack. Even if he can by annoying .
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

DCP wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 am

Now, having read reams of negative exposés of my own faith, I'm somewhat skeptical of such things. But I recall thinking that, if even a third of the allegations in the article were true, Scientology was the most painfully obvious religious fraud I had ever seen.

Yup. By the way, I think that DCP was speaking sincerely in giving his opinion of Scientology. If you become acquainted with the tenets of a religion as part of your upbringing, it does not appear ridiculous, however outlandish its claims may seem to outsiders. But other religions? The critical faculties work at full blast, energised by the critic's desire, conscious or unconscious, to make a distinction between their own rich and wonderful faith and the junk-heap of ill-assorted nonsense that the other people laughably believe in.

Now, had the little DCP been brought up in a Scientologist household ...

[A personal note: years ago, I discovered and delighted in the accounts of weirdness that abounded on an ex-Scientologist website. Then a link given by one poster took me to an ex-Mormon site. And I found that in terms of the amount of strangeness and obvious falsity willingly accepted and enthusiastically preached, all in a long and dramatic historical context, Mormonism won hands down.}
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:52 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

I just do not think it is important enough not to allow the fellow some slack. Even if he can by annoying .
Allow him slack? Like, should someone not quote him when he’s contradicting himself?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:52 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

You mean like Moroni and subsequently Joseph Smith did with infant baptism ?
Behold I say unto you, that he that supposeth that little children need baptism is in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; for he hath neither afaith, hope, nor charity; wherefore, should he be cut off while in the thought, he must go down to hell.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:42 pm
Tying in with last night's discussion of Peterson's tendency to quote things incompletely/incorrectly/out of context, then throw a childish insult out when caught:
DP wrote: Bill Nye, the well-known so-called “science guy,” puts it pretty straightforwardly, speaking in the first person singular for all of humankind: “I’m a speck on a speck orbiting a speck among other specks amongst still other specks in the middle of specklessness! I am insignificant! I suck.”
F Kratz wrote:Here's the sentence in context for the
interested reader:

"I remember as a kid standing on the beach and I recalled our third-grade teacher, Mrs. Cochrane, had told us that there were more stars in the sky than grains of sand on the beach. I didn’t articulate it this way but I remember thinking at the time, “Mrs. Cochrane, are you high?” I mean, if you stand in Delaware, it’s 1,500 nautical miles in each direction. There’s nothing but sand. When you dig down, you shuffle your feet, there’s more sand. When the tide goes out, there’s sand. It’s a sand festival. Sand, sand, sand. And yes, Mrs. Chochrane said, there are more stars than all of that.

It doesn’t take you long to then think, I really am not that different from a grain of sand. I am insignificant. If you look out at this so-called trackless ocean, if you go out there even a few nautical miles, you disappear. You have no idea where you are—am I near Delaware, am I near Papua New Guinea? You can’t really tell unless you’re very experienced. So I remember thinking, I’m just another speck of sand. And Earth, really, in the cosmic scheme of things, is another speck, and our sun—an unremarkable star, nothing special—is another speck. And the galaxy is a speck. I’m a speck on a speck orbiting a speck among other specks amongst still other specks in the middle of specklessness! I am insignificant! I suck.

But then, my friends, with our brains we can imagine all of this. It is with our brains that we can know our place in the universe. We can know our place in space, and that does not suck. That is worthy of respect. That is what’s so great. That is what’s so wonderful about humans."

It's kind of important to allow the man to finish his thoughts, wouldn't you agree?

It's why context is important when quote mining.
DP wrote: Thanks, Captain Obvious!
It's really amazing that within 24 hours of Mormonism Live describing the disingenuous Mormon apologist tactics, DP provides yet another perfect example.
I think if Peterson was claiming that science was bad for people or claiming that Mr Nye was a discouraged and hopeless man then the edit involved would be really bad. However Peterson is doing neither of those thing he is repeating a vivid description of a perception we should be aware of. Of course that is not all Nye thought in fact it seems most likely to me that Peterson would agree with the further contrasting thought from Nye.

Peterson admits he did not research the original statement but he did note his source.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I have a hard time believing it takes research to read the next paragraph and let the author finish the point he is making.

But then, this is DP we're talking about.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

We speculate on the show that the C in DCP stands for Condescending.