Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

Post by drumdude »

It’s the best episode of Mormonism Live yet. The show is really hitting its stride and the ending with Bought Yahoo and Brent Metcalfe calling in was icing on the cake.

Brent summed it up perfectly, it’s not about attacking Mormonism. It’s about laying facts on the table and letting people see them and come to terms with them. I appreciated RFM clearly separating the facts from his theory and opinions on what they implied. Consig and Bill, you guys are just absolutely killing it, keep it up!
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Re: Mormonism Live - The Two Seconds Watsons letter theory

Post by Bought Yahoo »

What? I didn't call in. I'm cool with the two Cumorah theory.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:58 am
Good point. It was some guy named Bob Crockett who was holding his own at making sense. This, of course, could give rise to the two Crocketts theory.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 am
Bought Yahoo wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:58 am
Good point. It was some guy named Bob Crockett who was holding his own at making sense. This, of course, could give rise to the two Crocketts theory.
:lol:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tying in with last night's discussion of Peterson's tendency to quote things incompletely/incorrectly/out of context, then throw a childish insult out when caught:
DP wrote: Bill Nye, the well-known so-called “science guy,” puts it pretty straightforwardly, speaking in the first person singular for all of humankind: “I’m a speck on a speck orbiting a speck among other specks amongst still other specks in the middle of specklessness! I am insignificant! I suck.”
F Kratz wrote:Here's the sentence in context for the
interested reader:

"I remember as a kid standing on the beach and I recalled our third-grade teacher, Mrs. Cochrane, had told us that there were more stars in the sky than grains of sand on the beach. I didn’t articulate it this way but I remember thinking at the time, “Mrs. Cochrane, are you high?” I mean, if you stand in Delaware, it’s 1,500 nautical miles in each direction. There’s nothing but sand. When you dig down, you shuffle your feet, there’s more sand. When the tide goes out, there’s sand. It’s a sand festival. Sand, sand, sand. And yes, Mrs. Chochrane said, there are more stars than all of that.

It doesn’t take you long to then think, I really am not that different from a grain of sand. I am insignificant. If you look out at this so-called trackless ocean, if you go out there even a few nautical miles, you disappear. You have no idea where you are—am I near Delaware, am I near Papua New Guinea? You can’t really tell unless you’re very experienced. So I remember thinking, I’m just another speck of sand. And Earth, really, in the cosmic scheme of things, is another speck, and our sun—an unremarkable star, nothing special—is another speck. And the galaxy is a speck. I’m a speck on a speck orbiting a speck among other specks amongst still other specks in the middle of specklessness! I am insignificant! I suck.

But then, my friends, with our brains we can imagine all of this. It is with our brains that we can know our place in the universe. We can know our place in space, and that does not suck. That is worthy of respect. That is what’s so great. That is what’s so wonderful about humans."

It's kind of important to allow the man to finish his thoughts, wouldn't you agree?

It's why context is important when quote mining.
DP wrote: Thanks, Captain Obvious!
It's really amazing that within 24 hours of Mormonism Live describing the disingenuous Mormon apologist tactics, DP provides yet another perfect example.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:52 am
It’s the best episode of Mormonism Live yet. The show is really hitting its stride and the ending with Bought Yahoo and Brent Metcalfe calling in was icing on the cake.

Brent summed it up perfectly, it’s not about attacking Mormonism. It’s about laying facts on the table and letting people see them and come to terms with them. I appreciated RFM clearly separating the facts from his theory and opinions on what they implied. Consig and Bill, you guys are just absolutely killing it, keep it up!
I enjoyed part 1. Looking forward to part 2!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:42 pm
Tying in with last night's discussion of Peterson's tendency to quote things incompletely/incorrectly/out of context, then throw a childish insult out when caught:
DP wrote: Bill Nye, the well-known so-called “science guy,” puts it pretty straightforwardly, speaking in the first person singular for all of humankind: “I’m a speck on a speck orbiting a speck among other specks amongst still other specks in the middle of specklessness! I am insignificant! I suck.”
F Kratz wrote:
It's really amazing that within 24 hours of Mormonism Live describing the disingenuous Mormon apologist tactics, DP provides yet another perfect example.
I’ll indulge in a bit of quote mining myself. In response to a poster pointing out that apostates do, in fact, shed light on the ridiculousness of religious claims - Scientology as an object lesson is discussed, DCP stated:
I remember reading a lengthy exposé in the Los Angeles Times many, many years ago.

Now, having read reams of negative exposés of my own faith, I'm somewhat skeptical of such things. But I recall thinking that, if even a third of the allegations in the article were true, Scientology was the most painfully obvious religious fraud I had ever seen.
-_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

DCP wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 am

Now, having read reams of negative exposés of my own faith, I'm somewhat skeptical of such things. But I recall thinking that, if even a third of the allegations in the article were true, Scientology was the most painfully obvious religious fraud I had ever seen.

Another shining example of DCP attacking and degrading another religion.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:42 pm
F Kratz wrote:Here's the sentence in context for the
interested reader:

"I remember as a kid standing on the beach and I recalled our third-grade teacher, Mrs. Cochrane, had told us that there were more stars in the sky than grains of sand on the beach. I didn’t articulate it this way but I remember thinking at the time, “Mrs. Cochrane, are you high?” I mean, if you stand in Delaware, it’s 1,500 nautical miles in each direction. There’s nothing but sand. When you dig down, you shuffle your feet, there’s more sand. When the tide goes out, there’s sand. It’s a sand festival. Sand, sand, sand. And yes, Mrs. Chochrane said, there are more stars than all of that.

It doesn’t take you long to then think, I really am not that different from a grain of sand. I am insignificant. If you look out at this so-called trackless ocean, if you go out there even a few nautical miles, you disappear. You have no idea where you are—am I near Delaware, am I near Papua New Guinea? You can’t really tell unless you’re very experienced. So I remember thinking, I’m just another speck of sand. And Earth, really, in the cosmic scheme of things, is another speck, and our sun—an unremarkable star, nothing special—is another speck. And the galaxy is a speck. I’m a speck on a speck orbiting a speck among other specks amongst still other specks in the middle of specklessness! I am insignificant! I suck.

But then, my friends, with our brains we can imagine all of this. It is with our brains that we can know our place in the universe. We can know our place in space, and that does not suck. That is worthy of respect. That is what’s so great. That is what’s so wonderful about humans."

It's kind of important to allow the man to finish his thoughts, wouldn't you agree?

The gift that keeps on giving. I mean the timing is impeccable! Ya gotta love him for that! :lol:
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:24 am
DCP wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 am

Another shining example of DCP attacking and degrading another religion.
Indeed. In addition to being an anti-Calvinist, he’s also clearly an anti-Scientologist.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14