Brigham Young, critic of racism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Brigham Young, critic of racism

Post by Dr Exiled »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:25 am
DCP says:

I agree that they were good people. However, they were racist and had racist leaders and we should acknowledge that. They had a lot of flaws. I am sure posters here heard racial jokes growing up at family gatherings. I don't hear it at all any more as the older generations have died out. Thank goodness for that. But our 50's and 60's ancestors were behind the Hotel Utah not allowing African Americans to stay there.

https://www.deseret.com/2009/3/16/20307 ... -the-hotel

Provo didn't allow african americans to stay overnight either. They were segregationists. They were behind the times with civil rights and took too long to lift the racial ban. I was in the same ward as Delbert Stapley, racist apostle, and heard him give the "negros were neutral" speech to justify church racism. So, sorry DCP, we have a racist legacy that needs to be examined and properly condemned.
first curiosity, so when did segregation end in the Hotel Utah and in Provo? The article notes decades ago..

I remember well that ignorance of black abilities was pervasive in the US. The church attitude of having divine knowledge helped protect that ignorance somewhat longer than was the case for many outside the church. I remember the neutral in the war in heaven idea was pervasive in the church in the 1960s. I have a bit of resentment that that idea was inserted into my youthful brain. I suppose the people inserting it also previously suffered the insertion.
Looks like it took the passing of that "communist" civil rights act of 1964 to stop the segregation: https://issuu.com/utah10/docs/utah_hist ... s/11140180

So, perhaps without that legislation, segregation could have gone on into the 70's and perhaps beyond in Utah. I wonder if the 1978 "revelation" would have happened without the 1964 civil rights act. Looks like probably not.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
huckelberry
God

Re: Brigham Young, critic of racism

Post by huckelberry »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:59 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 pm

first curiosity, so when did segregation end in the Hotel Utah and in Provo? The article notes decades ago..

I remember well that ignorance of black abilities was pervasive in the US. The church attitude of having divine knowledge helped protect that ignorance somewhat longer than was the case for many outside the church. I remember the neutral in the war in heaven idea was pervasive in the church in the 1960s. I have a bit of resentment that that idea was inserted into my youthful brain. I suppose the people inserting it also previously suffered the insertion.
Looks like it took the passing of that "communist" civil rights act of 1964 to stop the segregation: https://issuu.com/utah10/docs/utah_hist ... s/11140180

So, perhaps without that legislation, segregation could have gone on into the 70's and perhaps beyond in Utah. I wonder if the 1978 "revelation" would have happened without the 1964 civil rights act. Looks like probably not.
That is a worth while link to peruse. It is a reminder how much more segregation there was than a white youth in say 1963 would be aware of. Even later a white fellow like myself has some idea about segregation back then. Then there is a reminder that it was more.