Brigham Young, critic of racism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Brigham Young, critic of racism

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I can't help but think DCP posted this so it would coincide with MLK Day.

Usually on MLK Day, DCP posts racists and derogatory articles about MLK and the black community or how blessed black people are to have been slaves.

This year it's an article about how Brigham Young was actually critical of racism and that DCP stands with him. It's DCP's way of spewing his racism but at the same time hiding behind Brigham Young's skirt.

Disgusting, but par for the course.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DP wrote: It isn’t racist to differ with Barack Obama or even to criticize Martin Luther King. In fact, one might argue quite the opposite, that it’s actually racist to rank their melanin level so high in importance that one can’t regard them as simply human beings — human beings with whom one can agree or disagree just as freely as one would agree or disagree with anybody else.

There are actual racists, of course. But their racism certainly isn’t limited to expressing disapproval of someone’s action or expressing disagreement about an issue of public policy.

Likewise, tossing the term anti-Mormon around with reckless abandon cannot be justified. There are, alas, real anti-Mormons. The term refers, simply and by its straightforward etymology, to opposition to Mormonism and/or Mormons. Mere criticism of this or that aspect of Mormon faith, culture, or behavior — to say nothing of mere disagreement — is not enough in and of itself to deserve the label. Thus, while I disagree with him and disapprove of his hostile tone and am somewhat shocked by his apparent commitment to criticizing my faith, I don’t think that Phillip Jenkins has yet earned dishonorable designation as an anti-Mormon. He’s working on it, but he does lots and lots of other things, too, and the title isn’t and shouldn’t be easily earned.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... igion.html

I particularly like this one, in which DP likens the racism that blacks face to the religious bigotry that Mormons face.

I think the Mormons probably have it much harder than blacks, we're pretty awful on this forum.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Perhaps Dr. Peterson could tell us that Brigham Young endorses Martin Luther King.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... liday.html

Hamblin v Jenkins would be a prime example of the silence of friends.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

I’m very, very old. I was fully awake and alive in 1968. Some of you were, as well. Many of you were not. In either case, perhaps you will profit from hearing Senator Robert F. Kennedy’s announcement of Dr. King’s assassination in Indianapolis, at what had been planned as a campaign rally:

“Robert F Kennedy Announcing The Death Of Martin Luther King – A Great Speech”

Sixty-three days later — less than five years after the assassination of his brother, President John F. Kennedy — Senator Kennedy himself was shot to death in Los Angeles, after having just won the California Democratic presidential primary.

It was a difficult, discouraging, troubling period in American history.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... liday.html

And yet for 10 years following Kings death, Peterson supported and sustained an organisation that determined who could hold the Priesthood and who could enter the Temple based on skin colour. Retrospectively trying to align oneself with Dr. King without acknowledging that fact is simply cheap virtue signalling and is disrespectful to the great man’s memory, in my opinion. I’m utterly ashamed to have been a member of an organisation that had a skin colour policy as part of its core operation. Whilst relatively young, I was old enough to know better.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

In context to wishing his church had aligned itself with the civil rights movement Lance the Agnostic stated:
I also wish our leaders would have stood with MLK and supported the Civil Rights Movement. Many other churches did, much to their credit.

Do what is right let the consequence follow. At least that’s what they taught me in Primary.
In response the church’s leading apologist retorted:
DanielPeterson Mod > Lance the Agnostic

L the A: "Many other churches did, much to their credit."

There is, I think, some mitigation in the fact that the Church then was far smaller, far more marginal, and far more regional than it is today. Its support would have made no significant difference.
-_-

Unbelievable.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

How in the world could DP know it would have made no difference?

Oh, that’s right. He can’t know. He’s just talking out of his butt again.
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

No matter how many past prophets you toss under the bus, the Book of Mormon still has as a core precept of Mormonism - racism. You can't get a way from it.

I have an extended family member who has been outed as a rabbid racist DezNat nut job. I knew he was a racist “F” years ago, but thought he had become smart enough to not be doing all over the internet. Somebody tracked him past his screen names and doxxed him. Now he will probably have a hard time getting into medschool - dumb little Nazi. He uses the Book of Mormon to justify his hate for brown people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:16 pm
In context to wishing his church had aligned itself with the civil rights movement Lance the Agnostic stated:
I also wish our leaders would have stood with MLK and supported the Civil Rights Movement. Many other churches did, much to their credit.

Do what is right let the consequence follow. At least that’s what they taught me in Primary.
In response the church’s leading apologist retorted:
DanielPeterson Mod > Lance the Agnostic

L the A: "Many other churches did, much to their credit."

There is, I think, some mitigation in the fact that the Church then was far smaller, far more marginal, and far more regional than it is today. Its support would have made no significant difference.
-_-

Unbelievable.

- Doc

It’s unfortunate and irrational for Peterson to rationalize that good principles regarding civil rights shouldn’t be held if they aren’t popular enough.

I’d be interested in seeing him explain that one further.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

And the boy took the starfish up from the beach and readied himself to return it to the sea. Upon a moment of reflection, he placed the starfish back down on the sand, content in the knowledge that it would have made no significant difference.