Is there any real difference between Donald Trump and Joseph Smith?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Is there any real difference between Donald Trump and Joseph Smith?

Post by Moksha »

cinepro wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:33 pm
At the very least, I believe that there was some part of Joseph Smith that cared about other people, but I don't think there is any part of Trump that cares about anyone other than himself.
I would certainly like to think that Joseph Smith had more redeeming qualities than Trump and was much less narcissistic. I can't see Joseph Smith wishing to plunge America into a civil war just to satisfy his bruised ego.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:41 pm
I can't see Joseph Smith wishing to plunge America into a civil war just to satisfy his bruised ego.
No, that would be Brigham Young...
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

Post by SaturdaysVoyeur »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:35 pm
Trump said he liked girls "on the younger side" and he "grabs them by" and his best pal was a child sex trafficker. Many women accused Trump of rape and sexual assault. Trump was disloyal to Melania.
Trump also said if Ivanka weren't his daughter he'd want to have sex with her. As much as I dislike Trump, I think that was a tasteless joke, not a declaration of incestuous desires. For all we know, he thought he was flattering her. Trump is the worst kind of idiot, in that he often thinks he's being clever or funny when he's just being cringey.

It's important not to conflate things here.
A lot of men cheat on their wives. That doesn't make them rapists or pedophiles.
As disgusting as it was, there's no evidence that Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" comment referred to underage girls.
Trump has been friends with every power-broker in New York. That doesn't make him answerable for their behavior.

Did Trump rape anybody? It seems likely, but we don't know for sure.
Did Joseph have sex with a 14-year-old? It seems likely, but we don't know for sure.

I still think the better comparison is Trump to Brigham Young. Ham-handed demagogues that demanded absolute loyalty and could be extremely punitive with those who disobeyed them.

Joseph was more like Bill Clinton. Also a sleazeball, but pulled it off by being so charming that men and women alike fell a little bit in love with him.

Maybe it's just because my daughter is the same age as Helen Mar Kimball was then, but I'm more grossed out by the fact that her parents gave her to Joseph. It's bad enough that he most likely perved on her, but to have that facilitated by her own parents?? I need to go vomit now.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:48 pm
… (H)er parents gave her to Joseph. It's bad enough that he most likely perved on her, but to have that facilitated by her own parents?? I need to go vomit now.

This.

I have trouble comprehending how two grown adults could have been swayed enough by Smith to have handed over their 14-year-old daughter.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:

Trump also said if Ivanka weren't his daughter he'd want to have sex with her. As much as I dislike Trump, I think that was a tasteless joke, not a declaration of incestuous desires. For all we know, he thought he was flattering her. Trump is the worst kind of idiot, in that he often thinks he's being clever or funny when he's just being cringey.

It's important not to conflate things here.
A lot of men cheat on their wives. That doesn't make them rapists or pedophiles.
As disgusting as it was, there's no evidence that Trump's "grab ''em by the pussy" comment referred to underage girls.
Trump has been friends with every power-broker in New York. That doesn't make him answerable for their behavior.

Did Trump rape anybody? It seems likely, but we don't know for sure.
Did Joseph have sex with a 14-year-old? It seems likely, but we don't know for sure.

I still think the better comparison is Trump to Brigham Young. Ham-handed demagogues that demanded absolute loyalty and could be extremely punitive with those who disobeyed them.

Joseph was more like Bill Clinton. Also a sleazeball, but pulled it off by being so charming that men and women alike fell a little bit in love with him.

Maybe it's just because my daughter is the same age as Helen Mar Kimball was then, but I'm more grossed out by the fact that her parents gave her to Joseph. It's bad enough that he most likely perved on her, but to have that facilitated by her own parents?? I need to go vomit now.
Good post SV!

Another comparison of Trump might be Saddam Hussein. A couple of guys who would sacrifice everyone on the planet for a diet coke. Also, Uday and Qusay match up well in the progeny dept.

When I think of who J. Smith resembles, I think of Swaggart, Baker, Falwell Jr. et al. Common, unremarkable grifters.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:
Trump also said if Ivanka weren't his daughter he'd want to have sex with her.
Didn't he just say he would want to date her?

(By which of course he probably meant ... OK!)
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

Neither can translate reformed Egyptian or any other language with or without a hat ! But the underground says the Donald knows the king’s name - listen up Shulman!
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

Sorry Paul I got fidgety fingers😎
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 am
I have trouble comprehending how two grown adults could have been swayed enough by Smith to have handed over their 14-year-old daughter.
Smith promised heavenly exaltation for them and all their descendants, forever and ever, in exchange for their underage daughter.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:50 pm
canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 am
Smith promised heavenly exaltation for them and all their descendants, forever and ever, in exchange for their underage daughter.
I don’t see how that sounds believable, both from the standpoint of Smith’s supposed authority, and the idea that this is a deal that The Lawd would want to make or require.

I guess that I’m just cynical.