US DOE investigating BYU’s treatment of gay students

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: US DOE investigating BYU’s treatment of gay students

Post by Moksha »

BYU more than any other university could forsake all federal money and serious accreditation.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:43 pm
BYU more than any other university could forsake all federal money and serious accreditation.
There are a few that do, Hillsdale College being one. But I don't think Hillsdale has religious affiliations anymore, in which case they would get to enjoy any religious exemption from at least portions of Title IX.

BYU certainly could forsake all federal money, but would it? How many students receive some form of grant or federally guaranteed loan? That's a huge chunk of tuition dollars out the door. I don't know if I see the Church subsidizing tuition more than it already does. I guess they could fire the janitorial staff and grounds crew and instead have students "volunteer" to provide service once a week on Saturday mornings. That might save some money.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

toon wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:00 pm
There are a few that do, Hillsdale College being one.

Hillsdale actively solicits tax-free donations, which seems plain wrong.
I guess BYU could fire the janitorial staff and grounds crew and instead have students "volunteer" to provide service once a week on Saturday mornings. That might save some money.
No way, students need to study. The Church should assign various stakes in Utah County to serve as the janitorial staff and grounds crew. Perhaps the BYU Lavatory South and North Missions could also be established.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

One of my best friends went to BYU. He got married within a year of getting home from his mission, this would be early 2000s. His wife told us how the Relief Society Presidency came by to introduce themselves once they moved in to their married student's ward. They brought a small packet of information about all the federal and state programs she/they should know about. It was all very organized, and I think there were sisters offered who could help in applying for things. She said there was a little placating that while normally you might frown on government money, it was okay cause it enabled the higher law of starting their family. Ezra Benson is rolling in his grave about how much government money students at BYU rely on.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dwight wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:45 am
One of my best friends went to BYU. He got married within a year of getting home from his mission, this would be early 2000s. His wife told us how the Relief Society Presidency came by to introduce themselves once they moved in to their married student's ward. They brought a small packet of information about all the federal and state programs she/they should know about. It was all very organized, and I think there were sisters offered who could help in applying for things. She said there was a little placating that while normally you might frown on government money, it was okay cause it enabled the higher law of starting their family. Ezra Benson is rolling in his grave about how much government money students at BYU rely on.
I read somewhere that married students at BYU make heavy use of Pell Grants because parental income/assets aren’t considered. Just another example of federal funds use.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:21 pm
Dwight wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:45 am
I read somewhere that married students at BYU make heavy use of Pell Grants because parental income/assets aren’t considered. Just another example of federal funds use.
Confirmed. But that is not unique to BYU. Married students all over the country use Pell Grants. If a student is married and enrolled at Florida State or Wichita State they can still benefit from Pell Grants.

What is the difference between heavy use of a grant and light use of a grant?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:35 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:21 pm

Confirmed. But that is not unique to BYU. Married students all over the country use Pell Grants. If a student is married and enrolled at Florida State or Wichita State they can still benefit from Pell Grants.

I didn't say it was unique to BYU or that it was wrong of BYU students to make use of a nationally available program. It's simply another example of use of federal funds. As far as "heavy," I was referring to this: https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... hy-byu-is/
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:36 pm
Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:35 pm

I didn't say it was unique to BYU or that it was wrong of BYU students to make use of a nationally available program. It's simply another example of use of federal funds. As far as "heavy," I was referring to this: https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... hy-byu-is/
Gotchya. Thanks.
2bizE
Nursery

Post by 2bizE »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:17 pm
toon wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:00 pm
There are a few that do, Hillsdale College being one.

Hillsdale actively solicits tax-free donations, which seems plain wrong.
I guess BYU could fire the janitorial staff and grounds crew and instead have students "volunteer" to provide service once a week on Saturday mornings. That might save some money.
No way, students need to study. The Church should assign various stakes in Utah County to serve as the janitorial staff and grounds crew. Perhaps the BYU Lavatory South and North Missions could also be established.
Moksha,
You understand the church’s business plan far too well. Why pay anyone to do anything if you can get them to volunteer to do it for free?
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:20 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:51 pm
Can you imagine the righteous uproar from Oaks were the stipulations to work in reverse? Imagine what he’d say to the idea that Mormons needed to drink a coffee in their own home in order to gain a commission with the Department Of Defense? The Church wants BYU to operate as a completely separate sovereign state.
Funnily enough it was a faithful Mormon who got me hooked on coffee. We were conducting night ops and we were at the ‘jump TOC (tactical operations center)’, and it had coffee and hot water for tea and cocoa. I was going to make a cocoa before moving out, and I watched him dump a cocoa packet in a coffee. I was like, “Whoa, dude, what are you doing?” I was amused, not judgmental, but he justified it that it’s better to be awake while driving over rough terrain and to repent later than be dead. I was like, “That’s pretty sound logic” so I tried it, and the rest is history - I have a coffee brewing right now, in fact.

- Doc
My Seminary teacher was right. It is a slippery slope. :)