Peterson's parents, left alone because they weren't 'lds'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Peterson's parents, left alone because they weren't 'lds'

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:16 am
Is it impossible to think that his convictions might be genuine in any way, to any extent?
I’m kind of with Peterson on this one, in that creating an avenue toward social cohesion is one of the upsides to belonging to a church (or some other community organization). I believe the “church” used to be a much more effective vehicle where the social ties that bound members were brought about by happy activities.

Remember when the RS was the hearth and soul of the Church? Before it that was sacrificed for expediency and money? Canning. Gardening. Homemaking. Child rearing. Friendship building. Advice on the personal and professional goals for women, men, and children. They were glue that knit the fabric of the Mormon soul back together that was deliberately unraveled. Remember road shows and Halloween parties where kids trick or treated from classroom to classroom? Remember the musical acts, singing, and a celebrations of life? Remember Ward house kitchens and bake-offs?

I remember old school Mormonism, and the sisters’ creative and passionate energies. I remember when the men were men and not some sort of soulless corporate lackeys who are subordinates to Corporate HQ. Remember Scouting, the Explorers, and adventurism? I remember the wild male spirit as we’d play “touch foot all”, but it was the Bishop crushing Deacons left and right. I remember members developing deep bonds watching football, bbq’ing, and living life intently.

What a beautiful moment in “church” history. It could be that again, but I’m not sure the corporate real estate magnates care about that kind of community. Perhaps that’s what Peterson remembers, but I’m not sure it’s there any more.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I feel Kish is continuing to miss my point. I agree that peterson can certainly be genuine in his conviction, but that's not the point of my OP and my subsequent posts. As I said:
Marcus wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:52 pm
...It's one thing to promote the blessings of his church, it would be interesting to see if he could do it without the disparagement of those who have left his church.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:42 am
I remember old school Mormonism, and the sisters’ creative and passionate energies. I remember when the men were men and not some sort of soulless corporate lackeys who are subordinates to Corporate HQ. Remember Scouting, the Explorers, and adventurism? I remember the wild male spirit as we’d play “touch foot all”, but it was the Bishop crushing Deacons left and right. I remember members developing deep bonds watching football, bbq’ing, and living life intently.

What a beautiful moment in “church” history. It could be that again, but I’m not sure the corporate real estate magnates care about that kind of community. Perhaps that’s what Peterson remembers, but I’m not sure it’s there any more.

- Doc
Can you imagine Mr. Burns rubbing his hands together and saying, "forget our main goal of increasing the wealth of the corporation, let's have some fun and make our existence enjoyable"?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:47 am
I feel Kish is continuing to miss my point. I agree that peterson can certainly be genuine in his conviction, but that's not the point of my OP and my subsequent posts. As I said:
Marcus wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:52 pm
...It's one thing to promote the blessings of his church, it would be interesting to see if he could do it without the disparagement of those who have left his church.
This is an important point. One of my enduring problems with Dr. Peterson is his treatment of those who’ve left the LDS Church. In essence, he and his pals were laughing at and mocking people who were enduring some of the most painful things they’d ever gone through. He used to call RfM “The Oddly Named Recovery Board” and he used to monitor it and save quotes that he could later deploy them to crush and humiliate people. (To what end? I don’t know. Maybe he thought that publicly embarrassing people might encourage them to return to Church?)

But to think that people were going through these horrible crises—feeling that they were lied to, and watching their families fall to pieces—and then to see Dan Peterson slapping his thigh in mirth, and even shrugging his shoulders *over a suicide* because the person in question was Ex-mo…. Well, that’s just terrible, in my opinion. He likes to talk about the dehumanizing aspect of “avowedly atheist regimes.” He ought to take a look in the mirror. He’s been incredibly cruel for the sake of his own entertainment, and if there’s any cosmic justice in this universe, he’ll be made to answer for it.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:
Is it impossible to think that his convictions might be genuine in any way, to any extent?
I’m kind of with Peterson on this one, in that creating an avenue toward social cohesion is one of the upsides to belonging to a church (or some other community organization). I believe the “church” used to be a much more effective vehicle where the social ties that bound members were brought about by happy activities.

Remember when the RS was the hearth and soul of the Church? Before it that was sacrificed for expediency and money? Canning. Gardening. Homemaking. Child rearing. Friendship building. Advice on the personal and professional goals for women, men, and children. They were glue that knit the fabric of the Mormon soul back together that was deliberately unraveled. Remember road shows and Halloween parties where kids trick or treated from classroom to classroom? Remember the musical acts, singing, and a celebrations of life? Remember Ward house kitchens and bake-offs?

- Doc
I'm with you on this point, Doc. I wish I could give my kids the same experience I had as a kid. I had kids late in life and my oldest is 13 now. It's a different world, today. I loved growing up in SLC in the 70's and 80's. I vividly remember coming home and seeing a ton of kids in the streets ready to play kick the can or something. There were always a bunch of kids to play with. I had fun hanging around the church building as a kid and my mother was always engaged with the youth or the RS, doing something. Those were the days. However, we had spirited HP and EQ quorums, at least according to my father, and the higher ups don't want the lower level to get too much power over the debate. Otherwise, the rising star personality or idea might lead the members away from the power structure. The Midgley types had to step in and take away the punch bowl just when the party was starting.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:31 am
Marcus wrote:
This is an important point. One of my enduring problems with Dr. Peterson is his treatment of those who’ve left the LDS Church. In essence, he and his pals were laughing at and mocking people who were enduring some of the most painful things they’d ever gone through. He used to call RfM “The Oddly Named Recovery Board” and he used to monitor it and save quotes that he could later deploy them to crush and humiliate people. (To what end? I don’t know. Maybe he thought that publicly embarrassing people might encourage them to return to Church?)

But to think that people were going through these horrible crises—feeling that they were lied to, and watching their families fall to pieces—and then to see Dan Peterson slapping his thigh in mirth, and even shrugging his shoulders *over a suicide* because the person in question was Ex-mo…. Well, that’s just terrible, in my opinion. He likes to talk about the dehumanizing aspect of “avowedly atheist regimes.” He ought to take a look in the mirror. He’s been incredibly cruel for the sake of his own entertainment, and if there’s any cosmic justice in this universe, he’ll be made to answer for it.
Ridicule seems to be connected to fear of having the truth come out to a wider audience. It's about control. The John Dehlins and other usurpers need to be shot down and immediately. Otherwise, too many may see the light about the nonsense.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:31 am
One of my enduring problems with Dr. Peterson is his treatment of those who’ve left the LDS Church. In essence, he and his pals were laughing at and mocking people who were enduring some of the most painful things they’d ever gone through. He used to call RfM “The Oddly Named Recovery Board” and he used to monitor it and save quotes that he could later deploy them to crush and humiliate people. (To what end? I don’t know. Maybe he thought that publicly embarrassing people might encourage them to return to Church?)
It's to scare the wavering, those approaching the line of apostatizing into remaining in the cult. Some would retrench just to avoid being the subject of such ridicule back among the flock if they were to leave.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:

- Doc
What you describe is the church I grew up in. It was still there when I left. I still have trouble picturing what Mormonism is like without it. I wonder if lumping all the meetings together on Sundays had an effect. I remember church as kind of a full-time thing. FHE on Mondays, Primary (Tuesdays?), Relief Society (Wednesdays), Mutual Improveent/Young Mens/Young Women's (Thursdays). Lots of dances on the weekends (ward, stake, and tri-stake -- BTO played one of those). Even though us LDS kids weren't all besties, there was a social identity and cohesion that was a formative part of my growing up. It makes me sad to think of all that being gone.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:

- Doc
Doc, My memory, from a bit earlier time, agrees with the positives you are mentioning here. I think there has been a strong community in the church. I am remembering that my mother thought there had been more fun activities when she was growing up but a good deal of what was there then was still going when I was growing up.

I read all sorts of references to this fading in past couple decades, or more. I do not know details but it is sad to hear.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
I feel Kish is continuing to miss my point.
Whatever accuracy your point may have as it applies to other instances of Peterson's treatment or characterization of non-members or ex-members, your reading of his treatment/characterization of his parents was unconvincing.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow