Peterson's parents, left alone because they weren't 'lds'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Peterson's parents, left alone because they weren't 'lds'

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:54 am
Peterson, in his efforts to brag about Mormon wards, let slip some horrifying information about how he treated his (apparently non-lds member) parents in their final years.
By contrast, my parents spent their last three decades in an upscale California neighborhood where there was seldom any contact of any kind with the people who lived on either side of them or across the street. They were all past the age when they had kids in school and ran into each other at PTA meetings, so they had virtually nothing in common, nothing to bring them together. They sometimes waved at each other across the street, but that was essentially it. When my parents died, nobody from their neighborhood attended the services. I doubt that any of the neighbors even knew.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... hurch.html
His parent's neighbors weren't even aware they died? I'm sensing a lot of shame and dismissal of parents who apparently didn't fit his requirement of 'active-lds-ness.'

That's horrifying. To abandon elderly parents because they don't fit his definition of lds-ness is abominable. Peterson likes to brag about his father's military efforts, but he apparently didn't admire him enough to make sure his final years were cared for. Instead, he apparently chalked his parents' situation up to non-lds inactivity, and left them alone and lonely. That's shameful.
It's been pointed out Peterson didn't do this to his parents, and I will concede that that is the case. I still feel that using his parent's situation, whether he contributed to it or not, as an example whereby he can disparage people who are non-lds, is inappropriate.

Additionally, Peterson himself has acknowledged elsewhere that even in his own life the lds model of neighborhood 'care' is artificial, when he noted that when the ward boundary lines changed and ran down his street, he stopped interacting with neighbors who literally lived across the street from him. Bragging about forced interactions isn't saying much about neighborliness, and pulling his parents into it because they apparently didn't have that forced interaction, is even less honorable.
Last edited by Marcus on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. I decided to take a look at the comments section. I guess I was curious if commenters would add their ‘positives’ to the mix, and was surprised to see Louis “back slappin’” Midgley bring up Gina Colvin:
Louis Midgley > Jonathan Felt

I wonder if this Jon Felt was deeply into the rubbish spread by Gina Colvin. I actually hope I am wrong about this.
Huh? Mr. Felt simply attempted to engage Mr. Peterson on the topic with a thoughtful post. The Midge goes on to say:
Beacon Hill > Louis Midgley

Wow, impressive that you parsed Gina Colvin out of that post. I googled her and have never heard or seen her face before.

————————

Louis Midgley > Beacon Hill

I have never met Gina Colvin either, but I have met her husband, Dr. Nathan McCluskey, and we instantly became friends. He has a PhD in Political Science, while his wife has a PhD in, I believe, Journalism. That meeting was set up by the Area Presidency and the Christchurch Stake President. Several year ago I read her PhD thesis. (That is the term used in both Australia and New Zealand for what we call a dissertation.)

Gina Colvin has resigned her membership in the Church of Jesus Christ. Earlier she had joined the Anglican Church and also became a lay Anglican preacher. Gina has also joined the Community of Christ (a.k.a. RLDS), even though he has never once attended a worship service of that steadily declining movement. Very much like her husband, I hope that at some point she will get things properly sorted.
What the hell is his unrelenting fascination with that woman? He posts further:

Jonathan Felt: You apparently did not read what I wrote below. I will repeat some of it here. Gina Colvin has for years been a passionate critic of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, and she detests the Book of Mormon, and has officially ceased being a Latter-day Saint. She has been baptized an Anglican, and become an Anglican lay preacher, and also also joined the faltering Community of Christ.

Her husband described her as hating me with a passion for a host of curious reasons, despite the fact that I have not addressed her anywhere in print.

She might be what you call a "vey nice person," but that appearance does not make her a faithful Latter-day Saint. But it has made her a follower of none other than John Dehlin.
:roll:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:32 pm
Huh. I decided to take a look at the comments section. I guess I was curious if commenters would add their ‘positives’ to the mix, and was surprised to see Louis “back slappin’” Midgley bring up Gina Colvin:
...Her husband described her as hating me with a passion for a host of curious reasons, despite the fact that I have not addressed her anywhere in print....
:roll:

- Doc
Midgley's memory is very convenient.
Lem wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:22 pm
Speaking of Midgley's argument that "rubbish" was posted on Colvin's blog, here is a great sampling of his rubbish:
Louis Midgley bfolkman • a year ago • edited

...There are exactly no accurate examples assembled on fake Dr. Shades board about about my "disgusting behavior...."

----
disqus_11v03t4WRp Louis Midgley • a year ago

“ No accurate examples”?? Here are just a few examples of your own words, Midgley:

“ Gina Colvin does not know enough about the history of the Church of Jesus Christ in New Zealand, or about Maori culture to have an informed opinion on Newton's publications.

She was not raised Maori, but has assumed that identity while undergoing the current fashionable complaints about the evils of colonization as she worked on her own PhD in journalism. And she was colonized by essentially post enlightenment skeptical ideologies now fashionable in universities. This ended up turning her against the faith her European mother, who was a ardent convert to the Church, had managed to see that she was raised in.”

And this:

“ For instance, where Maori Saints love the Book of Mormon, Gina detests it.

She started out as a naïve primitive believer. But her work on a PhD thesis in journalism led her to read recent French philosophy, and this colonized her in a radically hostile worldview that has exactly no place for Maori things or the faith of the Saints.“

https://www.patheos.com/blo...

And this:

And I was pleased to be able to report on my encounter in Christchurch with Dr. Nathan McCluskey, who just happens to be the husband of Gina Colvin, a notorious critic of the Church of Jesus Christ who has posted as Kiwi Mormon.

Nathan has his PhD in political science, while his wife has one in journalism. Gina seems to me to have been intellectually colonized by current fads and hopefully temporary fashions that have taken her out of the Church of Jesus Christ. She has become some sort of an Anglican lay preacher, though she admits that she knows exactly nothing about the Church of England.

She is obsessed with the terrible impact of British colonization of New Zealand. There is some irony in this, since she has been blessed to have a PhD and the power and prestige that currently goes with it by the very thing she laments.

And she has become hostile to the Church of Jesus Christ, which took root among Maori who had turned away from their earlier Anglican faith because it denigrated Maori culture and faith, which was strongly supported by Latter-day Saint missionary endeavors.

...I am also pleased to report that Nathan told me that both he and his wife have read everything that I have written about the Maori Latter-day Saint historical narrative.

And he agrees with me, while she detests--he used the word hates--what I have written. If for no other reason, knowing this was well worth the expense and effort involved in my recent, and most likely, last visit to Aotearoa/New Zealand.

https://www.patheos.com/blo...

And this:

“Gina Colvin ceased posting as "Kiwi Mormon" for quite a while, after she faced a DC by her Bishop. But she is back posting again, after having her name removed from the membership records of the Church of Jesus Christ.

She was earlier baptized an Anglican and became some sort of lay Anglican preacher, and now she is a member of the Community of Christ. There is a tiny Community of Christ congregation in Auckland, but not even one other member of that sinking ship in Christchurch, where she lives. So Gina Colvin is now the only member of the Community of Christ on the South Island of New Zealand. She has, it seems, found a "community" that fits her desire to enjoy her own "spirituality."

And this:

“ I pity Gina's husband.”

Midgley, you are a creepy stalker.

http://disq.us/p/28tylo8
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

And in case Midgley wants to argue addressing Colvin only means speaking directly to her, here's his message before his ill-fated stalking trip
Louis Midgley • 2 years ago

Gina:

I know of only one Community of Christ congregation in New Zealand. It is located at 311 Glengary Road, Glen Eden, Auckland. A search does not turn up Community of Christ congregation in Christchurch. Would you please explain where this Community of Christ group meets in Christchurch and also how many there are in this group? I will, God willing, be in New Zealand in February, and might drop in to see your new venture, but I will need an address and so forth.

http://disq.us/p/261fhgy
It's also worth noting the responses he got, immediately after the post above:
disqus_11v03t4WRp Louis Midgley • 2 years ago

Hi Gina, I enjoy your blog very much! But please, do not give this person, Louis Midgley, any of the personal information he is requesting. If you take a look at his posting history, almost every comment he makes is either attacking people, or fishing for information, which he then uses, almost always inaccurately, to slur and defame anyone who disagrees with him.

And by attack, I mean some of the most vicious, angry, nasty comments it is possible to make about another human being. I can’t believe his comments are allowed on Patheos, but for some reason, they are. Read through his post history— his incorrect assumptions about other people’s lives lead to slurs and statements of defamation that will shock you.

He loves to tell stories about how he has confronted and tried to embarrass people- when I read he might be visiting your area and wanted to “drop in” on you, my blood ran cold. His intent is NOT good. Please do not give him any information.

Louis Midgley disqus_11v03t4WRp • 2 years ago

EV: Utter rubbish.

disqus_11v03t4WRp Louis Midgley • 2 years ago • edited

Anyone can look at your posting history. You stalk people, you collect little bits of information which you then use to make up disparaging stories about other posters, and you have told many anecdotes about how you collect private information, which you then use to harass people. Now you are asking for an address of this blog owner’s private and unadvertised place of worship, because you would like to “drop in.” Anyone in their right mind will avoid you like the plague.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

He didn’t mind mentioning her in print (2019) when she was toeing the line:

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... mendments/
Disillusionment with Anglican Christianity

According to Peter Lineham, “The Mormon mission to the Māori flourished from 1882 in a direct reaction to the lowered reputation of other churches among the Maori.”46 Most of the Māori who became Latter-day Saints seem to have been disillusioned Anglicans. This is illustrated in the remarkable account of Henare Potea by Gina Colvin and Hana Espie Tukukino (pp. 21–37). Potea was a devout Anglican who resisted radical Māori factions for much of his adult life. Then, in 1884, when he encountered Latter-day Saint missionaries, he became a faithful Latter-day Saint to the end of his life.

Colvin provides a fine account of the Anglican career of Potea (pp. 24–33). She also describes the earlier rapid social transformation that began when the “Napuhi’s rampage across the North Island saw the decimation of many Ngati Porou hapu at the hands of Hongi Hika and Pomare” (p. 24). This was, of course, the sour fruit of CMS missionaries in the Bay of Islands, who traded muskets for provisions, which made it possible for the Nga Puhi iwi from the Northland to make war on other iwi in the North Island. Colvin ably sets out these grisly details (pp. 23–25).
However, it appears he wasn’t a fan way back in 2013, as evidenced by this comment on the bycommentconsent blog:
I was disappointed to find that Angela depended upon Gina Colvin. She seems to have unfortunately been influenced by poorly grounded arguments to reject genuine very old Maori traditions.

This is in ref to Colvin stating the obvious connections the LDS Maori have made to Hagoth, which the Midge claims the don’t do, have never done, and it’s Colvin who foolishly ‘goes there’. Obviously the Midge is unfamiliar with reality, which we can see from this Google search establishes Colvin’s credibility on the issue:

https://www.google.com/search?q=maori+h ... e&ie=UTF-8

Or if you don’t use Google, then a similar result is achieved using Ecosia:

https://www.ecosia.org/search?q=maori%2 ... DEB40037DA

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:03 pm

I'm sure in his Mormon college town it really is true that neighbors borrow tools and say Merry Christmas more often than in upscale Lo Jolla. But he needs that social fabric so much that he spends 9/10ths of his life on vacation and battling critics on the Internet.
Exactly. He writes that going to church means that he interacts with people that he otherwise would have nothing to do with, but that would be true if he joined a gym, attended an LGBTQ+ book club meeting, or went to a conference for the Communist Party.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

His parents were definitely LDS. (He has mentioned baptizing his father the night he was set apart as a missionary.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'll bet there's no complaint about the inheritance that compounded for decades without the 10% penalty.

That boost alone is likely enough to pay for 10+ years of vacationing all over the world.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:25 pm
I'll bet there's no complaint about the inheritance that compounded for decades without the 10% penalty.

That boost alone is likely enough to pay for 10+ years of vacationing all over the world.
Another bloodcurdling obscenity from the Daniel C. Peterson Squirrely Financial Behavior File!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I understand Dr. Peterson's point completely. I really didn't have contact with any neighbors outside my most immediate ones until I rejoined the Church. Once at Church, I got to know a couple more. Not a substitute for a good block party, but who holds those? Not like I am living in Los Angeles.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace