"Witnesses" Movie is Consigned to a "Backwater" Streaming Service

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

"Witnesses" Movie is Consigned to a "Backwater" Streaming Service

Post by Doctor Scratch »

In what appears to be yet another setback to the ambitions of the Mormon Interpreter blog and its leadership, it would appear the the Witnesses film, which bombed at the box office, has failed to score a deal with a major streaming platform such as Netflix or Hulu. Instead, if you want to watch the film via streaming, you'll have to resort to something called "Deseret Video+," which even "Sic et Non"is characterizing as problematic:
Daniel Peterson wrote:I think Deseret Video+ has had some glitches, but I hope they’re now mostly in the past
"glitches"? I can't help but wonder what he's referring to. Perhaps the streaming version of the movie still features the oddball sound effects? Or the wireless mic on the actor's pants? Regardless, it would seem that the producers have effectively given up on trying to attract a mainstream audience for the movie. If you want to watch it on streaming, you'll have to pony up the money for a Deseret Video+ subscription and keep your fingers crossed that the apparently ramshackle service actually works.

Meanwhile, Dr. Peterson has issued a public call for readers of his blog to check to see whether or not foreign subtitles are working on either the streaming movie or the DVD:
I’m told that French, Spanish, and Portuguese subtitles are available on the DVD as well as in the streaming version. Can somebody tell me whether these features are really there and, if so, whether and how well they work? I would be much obliged.
Is there really a lot of demand for this film amongst French-and Portuguese-speaking audiences? And why does Dr. Peterson have reason to believe that the subtitles might be faulty? And why is he asking readers of his blog--rather than the production company--whether this feature works or not?

In any case, it's hard to see these developments as anything other than yet more failures for the "Witnesses" project. Still, rumors are swirling that another motion picture is in the works, so we'll have to wait and see.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Area Authority

Re: "Witnesses" Movie is Consigned to a "Backwater" Streaming Service

Post by Tom »

I was struck by the deadline imposed on his poor blog readers: "I would love to hear from you how it’s worked. (Preferably no later than Monday noon, Utah time.)" What happens on Monday noon, Utah time? Is Deseret Book planning to pull the plug if business doesn't pick up very soon? (Reviews on the App Store are available here.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:28 pm

I was struck by the deadline imposed on his poor blog readers: "I would love to hear from you how it’s worked. (Preferably no later than Monday noon, Utah time.)" What happens on Monday noon, Utah time? Is Deseret Book planning to pull the plug if business doesn't pick up very soon?
I noticed that too, Tom, and found it ominous.
Tom wrote: (Reviews on the App Store are available here.)
Boy, not good at all: 1.4 stars out of 5? That's pretty abysmal. And again, I have to ask: Why not just host the movie on Interpreter's website for free? Perhaps the answer can be found in this 1-star review:
When I signed up it said it would be $1.99 per month for platinum members, but it charged me $3.22
Ouch! I don't envy these disappointed users' experiences. Then again, it seems like the Mopologists found the perfect venue for Witnesses.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Ouch! That’s the lowest rated app I’ve seen.

DCP better instruct his fans to go and leave 5 star reviews.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

I seem to recall the Exec. Co. Producer explaining on multiple occasions (when it became clear the film was flopping) that it was never about the money. The film was made with intention of as many people seeing it as possible. But the consequent actions appear to suggest the opposite of the Exec. Co. Prods assertion. The Interpreter website seems an obvious place for this film to stream - so why is it not?

Has Interpreter not heard of You Tube?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

IHAQ wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:09 am
The Interpreter website seems an obvious place for this film to stream - so why is it not?

The entire Witnesses film has been on YouTube for the last two weeks for free. It’s not drawing much interest. Very few views.

If any of you want to watch Witnesses, here you go:

[link to copyright infringement deleted]
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 am
Ouch! That’s the lowest rated app I’ve seen.

DCP better instruct his fans to go and leave 5-star reviews.
Might want to write glowing reviews of Witnesses as well.
Best movie ever. It put Star Wars to shame with its inventiveness!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:28 pm

Might want to write glowing reviews of Witnesses as well.
Best movie ever. It put Star Wars to shame with its inventiveness!!!
Moksha, check out these reviews for Witnesses:
Witnesses got some history right. For example, there is a horse in the movie, and horses do indeed exist.
I’m not familiar with the book that sparked this movie but this is because I have known the soft caress of a woman and am thus excluded from the target demographic.
An explosion in a stupid DCP factory
Perhaps the closest the Mormon church has yet come to making ‘Ow! My Balls!’ seem like a plausible future project
I’d rather gargle battery acid than have to watch Witnesses again.
After this financial and critical disaster, DCP would be lucky to get a gig directing traffic.
This is a failure of epic proportions. DCP has got to be a genius to make a movie this bad.
Witnesses is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It's not merely bad; it's unpleasant in a hostile way.
Think of Witnesses as a First-Date Movie. If your date likes it, do not date that person again. And if you like it, there will not be a second date.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:55 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:09 am
The Interpreter website seems an obvious place for this film to stream - so why is it not?

The entire Witnesses film has been on YouTube for the last two weeks for free. It’s not drawing much interest. Very few views.

Thanks! I am now left wondering why someone thought putting a freely available You Tube video on the worlds worst pay-to-view streaming service was a good idea?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

IHAQ wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:20 pm
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:55 pm

Thanks! I am now left wondering why someone thought putting a freely available You Tube video on the worlds worst pay-to-view streaming service was a good idea?
Agreed. Can you imagine Netflix/Hulu/Amazon having any interest in paying money to stream a movie that’s available for free on YouTube?

I get the distinct feeling that nobody involved with Witnesses has a clue to successfully market a film.

Why on earth would anyone pay for a crappy app to watch the movie when it is available for free all over the internet?

ETA It looks like Witnesses is also now available for free on two other popular media sharing websites.
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014